Pirate 4x4 banner

desertoy and Mustard Dog Build a Pair of X Chassis

111K views 488 replies 96 participants last post by  mtrent3450 
#1 ·
So over the last couple months desertoy and I have come to the conclusion that it was time for new rigs, I was ready to go into the buggy world with both feet and d-toys rig was about 5 years old.

We decided to go with a rig called the X Chassis wich is designed and manufactured by Hendrix Motorsports, the same company that builds the Formula Toyota chassis.

For more info like dimensions and pricing check them out at www.hendrixmotorsports.com :D

This weekend desertoy, Tin Bender, Aaron, Air Ride (the owner of Hendrix) and I got together and built both chassis. Here's the start of our build :D

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
These things went together fast, we had both complete minus the link sub-structure together in one easy day. That previous pic is main center hoop being laid out and tacked.

This one shows the sides, main frame tubes, and rear section set up. The rigs are started upside down. :)

Attachments

#4 ·
Now its been flipped over with the roof window bars installed, this one is done :D Air Ride has all the tubes pre bent and notched so it was incredibly easy to assemble :D

Attachments

#6 ·
So that was X #12 done, now we start mine #13 :evil:

Same view, just four hours later.

Attachments

#7 ·
While me, d-toy and Bender were working on the tube stuff Aaron was running the mill cranking out the pieces for the link mounts.

Attachments

#8 ·
Co Pilot said:
was a ladder for me configured into the plans?? :confused:

:D

I hear the plan is to use one of these. :flipoff2:

Attachments

#9 ·
Eric, I take it Air Ride and Bender were doing most of the welding ?

#10 ·
These are a few of the pieces that will become the link mounts. Can you tell that Air Ride came drom a desert race background, these things are sweet. :D

Attachments

#12 ·
SanDiegoCJ said:
Eric, I take it Air Ride and Bender were doing most of the welding ?

Actuially it was d-toy and Bender on the welders, aaron on the mill, Air Ride making sure things flowed, and me as the bitch/gopher :laughing:

#13 ·
The link mount about halfway assembled.

Attachments

#15 ·
For our links we'll be using Air Rides own version of an orbit eye called the X Joint, each rig will use 16 of them. Here's a center section of the X Joint in the truss checking fit.

Attachments

#17 ·
Here's the lower section welded up with the link mounts in place. We did'nt weld them to the chassis because we needed the room in the trailer.

Attachments

#18 ·
tators said:
Do you know if he sells "assemble yourself kits" ?

Last time I looked he had great prices on the chassis, just shipping cost would suck to the east coast...

Mike now has an East coast distributer for the Formula Toys, might check with him to see if the same can be done for one of these. :)

#19 ·
Mustard Dog said:
Actuially it was d-toy and Bender on the welders, aaron on the mill, Air Ride making sure things flowed, and me as the bitch/gopher :laughing:

You two guys are going to have WAY TOO MUCH FUN when you get those rigs finished.
I'll be watching this thread, cause it's going to be very interesting to see the stages the chassis go through.

#20 ·
Load em up!!

The pic is kinda dark but we have both chassis on thier sides strapped together for the ride home.

Attachments

#21 ·
These rigs will be built side by side at d-toys house, finished and ready for the Toyota Jamboree (brought to you by the TIN:skull:BENDERS in association with Pirate4x4.com :D ).

They will pretty much be the same but different. I will be using my propane powered 350, auto trans, dual Toy cases, Cruiser front axle and mini-truck rear with Bilstien coilovers.

d-toy will use his all Toyota running gear, hybred Toy-60 up front and air shocks.

#22 ·
Mustard Dog said:
These rigs will be built side by side at d-toys house, finished and ready for the Toyota Jamboree (brought to you by the TIN:skull:BENDERS in association with Pirate4x4.com :D ).

They will pretty much be the same but different. I will be using my propane powered 350, auto trans, dual Toy cases, Cruiser front axle and mini-truck rear with Bilstien coilovers.

d-toy will use his all Toyota running gear, hybred Toy-60 up front and air shocks.

Eric, why aren't you going to use your present FJ40 rear axle ?

#24 ·
SanDiegoCJ said:
Eric, why aren't you going to use your present FJ40 rear axle ?

I want a centered diff for using the mini-truck cases :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.