Pirate 4x4 banner

Hey Fawkers! Got Portals?

79K views 205 replies 54 participants last post by  '84 Bronco II 
#1 ·
Can you say 42's?

Got the rear axle shoved under the 110 tonite. Would have had it completely done, but the short side rear axle needed the bearings pressed off and I had to use the press at my garage, instead of the shop.

Anyway its basically a monster. Prolly will shorten up the rear springs a couple of inches to bring her down a bit. Front has some Fox coilovers coming, so height adjustment will be easy.

How about that big ass steering ram?

Billster

ps. Yes I know the tires are on backwards, we just wanted to see what it looked like sitting on the axle.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Another shot of the rear. The tires are 42" IROK's on WE beadlocks. That is a regulation 5 gallon bucket directly under the rear diff btw. 18+" of clearance.

Billster

Attachments

#3 ·
Last one for now. Just need to install the axle shafts, trim the rear driveshaft, drill the pinion flange for the rover pattern, and trim the gas tank a bit to get the rear completely done. Hoping to knock out the front completely when I am off next week. Then some wheelin' at the local spots to trouble shoot before CC.

Billster

Attachments

#5 ·
Extremely cool. You will need a full cage at that altitude, though. Also, are you sure the ball joint attachment on the axle is up to it?

#11 · (Edited)
i love how you and KC keep givin me shit on how HUUUUGE my buggy is gonna be. LOL. that thing is damn tall. :eek:

edit: i just ran over there to check it out. :eek: its large. just for a size refrence, currently the top of the bed at the tailgate. is the same height as my upper lip. I'm 6'0"

:eek:

#14 ·
Yeah, whatever... Have any of you actually seen how large the crossbolt is in the a-arm balljoint? Its about 1" in diameter. Much larger than the puny heims people use in this area. The mount on the axle housing is no thinner than 1/4" steel and is welded on 3 sides (270 degrees). It will hold. There is also >10" of seperation between the top and bottom links now as well.

Anyway, KC and Ben chopped off about 2" of the rear springs today and it sits a bit lower now. Prolly will leave it there now until the front is done and level it to the final height then.

Here are some new picts.

Link brackets and swaybars

Billster

Attachments

#15 ·
Here is a side shot at the new ride height.

Billster

Attachments

#16 ·
And finally one of my son Connor sitting in the bed.

Billster

Attachments

#19 ·
Shouldn't have to do any fender trimming, but I guess it depends upon how much travel you get out of your suspension. I wish I had ur motor though. I drove a Disco with the turbodiesel in France in '94. Very sweet power delivery, very smooth and quiet. And even running the mogs and Iroks, you should still get great mileage.

#20 ·
FrankenRover said:
It will hold.
It may hold, depending on driving style, but you have definitely introduced a weak link. Consider the tensile stress loads on the welds at the rear end of the mount when you climb a hill AND have some side force on the A-frame. The 1" bolt is there for a reason.

I'm not arguing it WILL break, but personally I would do something at the rear of the mount to get a balanced design.

42's on 5" portals equals much bigger tires than most run, as I'm sure you are aware.

#22 ·
Whatever. I don't want to be a hater. But keep an eye on those welds, as breakage will propagate to more expensive parts.

Rig looks fine as a whole. Wish it was mine.

#23 ·
Onward now A-arm haters... :flipoff2:

Rear is done, so now the front starts:

Billster

This is Ben without his usual evil grin ham camera face.

Attachments

#25 ·
Last one for now.... Hope to have the thing linked up and will be waiting on the Fox coilovers, then on to the Hydro and such.

Billster

ps. This pict proves I can still get it up in the bed... Doh, get up in the bed!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.