Pirate 4x4 banner

The Raisin gets a Diamond

14K views 88 replies 32 participants last post by  alwayzbroken 
#1 · (Edited)
The Raisin gets a little love this year. Since Ben has decided to go with 44” tsl on a Toyota axel it was time to upgrade. He decided to go with a diamond axel with 30 spline longfields and full hydro with the toyota pump. Before he went to this set up he was running a stock Toyota axel housing with stock Toyota axels with ringed longfields and rock logic ram assist.

Last time we were out he ended up breaking a birfield on the exit of Penrose. And while winching out of the situation he broke a rear ring and pinion. With that being said I think this new seat up should work out great.

Lets introduce you to the Raisin.

This is were he decided to upgrade everything

this is what happens if you run 44" tires and dont have the 30 spline chromos

This is how she is setting right now

Now time for the good stuff.

Axel housing modified to fit the toyota e-locker

Also moved the spring perch over a little bit to clear for the ubolts

The ram mount should work out perfect

More to come this week.

later tj

See less See more
#6 ·
I should also say good job Cobain and Adrian for helping out Ben last night. I am not to sure what else he needs to get pressure up. Ii know he needs to space out the plate and spring in the pump but have no clue on the specs. anyone have this info?

later tj

#10 ·
Bones said:
Love that rig and that it is still full of beat to hell sheetmetal! All the HG rigs tickle me in my no no place! :D

I assume he went with a wider housing to get those 44's to turn a little more also?

Thanks bones..yea he went wider. I am not to sure on the dims of the new axel. Ben should be on here soon and he can hopefully answer that question if he hasnt fallen a sleep yet he had a late night last night getting everything up and running.

later tj

#11 ·
Thankfully Ben is hardcore, Brian can build diffs and I stand around and look good.

The front is 65" WMS to WMS. The tires are out of the springs, but the tires might also be out of trailer. There is this dude he works with who keeps buying the housings and passing them around, that cat is getting a wider one.

Quote of the day yesterday, "Dude, your truck is F***ED UP! You can see how square the cab is when the right angles of the rack are around it."

Higher pressure? We need help on that part.

#14 ·
UGET IT said:
So what will change because you have a Diamond axle? I agree the housing is far superior to the factory unit but running 44inch Swamps will just break another stub..................

Am I missing something?

The Ram mount looks great.
those were just ringed longs...now 30 spline, wondering about the ring gear though myself.

#15 ·
UGET IT said:
So what will change because you have a Diamond axle? I agree the housing is far superior to the factory unit but running 44inch Swamps will just break another stub..................

Am I missing something?

The Ram mount looks great.
Before he was running a stock Toyota bent axel housing with stock axels and an aftermarket ringed longfield. now he will have 30 spline chromos. but you are right that's the only thing different then before is the axels and arp studs. if any rig will find out how long the new chrome 30 spline stuff will last it will be Ben and his 44's.

later tj

#16 · (Edited)
Pook said:
I like beat sheetmetal :beer:

what are you guys planning on doing about the ring and pinion breakage?

the ring and pinion let lose cause we were dragging a dead leg (44" tire) up and over a 2' ledge and the back tires were the only thing helping it up other then the winch that was pulling down on the front of the rig. the broken ring and pinion is from the rear axel.

later tj

#18 ·
HomeGrown said:
Before he was running a stock Toyota bent axel housing with stock axels and an aftermarket ringed longfield. now he will have 30 spline chromos. but you are right that's the only thing different then before is the axels and arp studs. if any rig will find out how long the new chrome 30 spline stuff will last it will be Ben and his 44's.

later tj

bring spare hubs, and if it goes pop he has to stop right away, the hub internals are harder than the splines on the chromo birfs and chews the hell out of them... = no warranty on damaged splines. happened to my buddy last year in moab. Truck cracked the hub gears, he moved it another 3-4 feet and the damage was done.

We just had some hubs treated by Bobby which will hopefully make a difference.

#21 ·
Heywood said:
Looks nice.
Do you have any clearance problems with oil pan or DS with the bigger diff and moving it inward?

no, cause he only moved the perch out about an 1" if that. and the ram is now setting further forward then the old ram assist was. if anything he will hit the ram on the pulley, but everything is bump stopped. he is running a set of alcans with the center pin pushed forward.

later tj

#26 ·
What's up Boys! I think I'm starting to wake up now. It was a long nite but I think I got a little ahead of the game.

So far I have not ever broken a front RR gear set. I went back to 4.10's for more strength so we'll just have to see how they hold up to the 44's. I have broken a few rears though. If this persists I will need to call Elenger again and have another housing built using a 100 Series L/C rear 9.5" diff w/32 spline axles.

I decided to try the 95-97 L/C drive flanges in front instead of the hubs. The have more spline contact and I'm thinking they may be easier on the studs becouse there is less "slop". I have a theory that the play from multiple pieces in the hub can cause ratcheting (like an impact gun) on the studs causing them to brake. But what the hell do I know!

I'm just excited to get rid on the wheel spacers and bent housing.

TOYOTA BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.