Pirate 4x4 banner

do you want 17'' diy alum bead lock rings for your h2

43K views 175 replies 64 participants last post by  camarokid94 
#1 ·
this is not a group buy thread.
however there are vendors here on this board that can get al rings a few at a time.
a few at a time will cost more than sending your cool cheap h2 wheels to champion and having them do it.
sooooooo........
if we had lets say 25 or 30 guys all able and willing to put up the cash maybe one of these vendors would be able to do this thing for around $400 for a complete set.
vendors, can this be done?

#153 ·
...And an anti-coning ring will be supplied to eliminate the tendency to peel off the rim. Also we blasted them with .052 wire in the spool-mate to ensure a good hot weld. We recommend the same to others.

#154 ·
Hosejockey said:
i borrowed a set of h2 locks to goto ejs this year it was the first time they had been run i broke 2 rims on the first day wheeling, so i took them to moab offroad and had them retigged them on( they ground them out and welded) the following day one of those rims lasted through the day and the other one failed again along with the other two. the 4th rim last 2 days. i dont think it was a problem with me over tightening the bolts because i didnt even tighten them enough to crush the lock washers 20-30ft pounds was all. i believe the bolt center on these rims is around 14.25, im convinced that the reason they are failing is because the bolt circle is to small. the beadlocks are 28 bolt locks with 3/8ths bolt they are just far enough inside the lip to get nuts on the back side with out hitting the rim. the person i had borrowed them from has had them sitting under his jeep holding air for well over 2 months but just the little wheeling i did with them made them fail.

What part of the wheel was failing? Pics?

#157 ·
Final H2 beadlock product...

Steel outers coming soon

$600 for a set of 4 inners and outers with optional $100 polishing

We will be cutting these througout the month and building up stock!

Steel / Aluminum version due out by the end of the month.

#159 · (Edited)
aaron t said:
this is not a group buy thread.
however there are vendors here on this board that can get al rings a few at a time.
a few at a time will cost more than sending your cool cheap h2 wheels to champion and having them do it.
sooooooo........
if we had lets say 25 or 30 guys all able and willing to put up the cash maybe one of these vendors would be able to do this thing for around $400 for a complete set.
vendors, can this be done?
Well jeff's stuff may be pimp and the 'bomb-diggity', or whatever, nice way to 'beat around the bush'.
:flipoff2:

#165 ·
Ballistic does not sell these anymore. Does anyone make any aluminum inners, steel outters for the H2's? Im looking for something that compliments the h2's with the 7 spokes, as these did, as well as having the proper bolt spacing to not hit one of these spokes. Got a hell of a deal, and am looking to order very soon...Thanks

#162 ·
Can you do something like that for non-H2 aluminum wheels with the bolt holes a little closer to the rim edge?

#163 · (Edited)
Ditto what he said. Will these work with other 17" rims? If so, I am in for a set.

#164 ·
I bought a set of H2 wheels from weedwacker. He welded on the 3/8" alum inner rings, but did not drill the holes; and I didn't get the template from him. So I drilled them myself, with a little different pattern. The bolt circle is 15 3/4" with 3/8" bolts and nylock nuts on the inside. I had to move the jeep so I just mounted the tires on the wheels and I will bolt on the outer rings later. Here it is in place for the pic.

#167 ·
Updates?

any updates??

on the Balistic locks, how do you keep bead centered on inner ring? it looks like all the centering is done by the outer ring and the outside of bead, due to the variety different tire beads out there, woulden't this be a problem for street driven rigs? how do you make sure bead is centered before you tighten it down?

I know, beadlocks not for the street nor legal, plenty of people run 35s and 37s or larger at highway speeds w/ locks all the time (I have put a few thousand hi-way miles on Champion converted Center Lines with good luck) but Champion uses the inner ring to positivly center the bead

now, I have H-2s w/ 42" IROKS, I need to lock them soon and planned to go with Champion again (done dozens of them for race teams with sucess, they say) BUT then I find these DIY locks from Balistic

Champion will convert my rims for $200@ plus shipping (about $80 both ways for 4 rims)

Balistic wants $200 @ plus I have to find someone good enough with a TIG to weld them up (so far my best price is about $50 labor @ rim!)

anyone in Phoenix area for welding these up at a fair price??

unless Balistic brings price down to $150 range (the price it was a year ago) I will have to go Champion due to price and known quality

#168 ·
Any one know of, or have photo of an H-2 wheel breaking at hub area?

I get told all the time that they "break" and are weak, but the only proof I've ever seen is chipped or broken outer lip on non-beadlocked rims

#169 ·
two years now on the original prototype, i have one "bent" rim and one rim with the inner lip dented in. two of my wheels will leak down 10psi in 2 days, but otherwise they are holding out quite well and on some sick ass shit.

i don't know if jeff still makes these, but i like em. putting 1/2" nuts in between the inner and outer rings has helped the anti coning a lot. and no, centering is a do it yourself kind of affair.

what i had to do was:
1. mount tire
2. bolt down outer lock ring on tire
3. air up and seat inner ring
4. air back down
5. unbolt the outer ring,
6. center tire using the rim on a 5 gallon bucket with inner bead still seated on rim lip and use the tires own carcass to somewhat center.
7. bolt back on the ring
8. air up....done.

pita, but the hey it was cheap. i got the rims for $40, for all 4 (total) free rings and jeff welded them on for free, and jeff bought all of the hardware. this was because it was my bad idea in the first place and he was looking for new ideas of product.

it turned out to not work that well for a lot of other guys that bought the "kit" to weld on themselves, and part of that was that they had to go together EXACTLY like mine did or you were in for trouble.

i would not do it again. i would go with steel rims and steel beadlocks if you want to do it yourself. the h2 wheel is not the answer.

if you want al rims i would buy a commercially made set. like walkers. there is a reason that the words aluminum, beadlock, and cheap don't go in the same sentence unless you insert a "not" in there somewhere.:D

#173 ·
no. by then you will have spent the cost of a good aluminum beadlock. even champion is a better option. i liked the h2s since i was in a unique position, but i am over trying to outcheap stuff and "beat the system" by trying to find ways around the bling.

like i said if you want the aluminum, you will sooner or later "pay the man".
in comparison to a walker the h2 is not very substantial. it is still a road car rim. designed for soccer moms and whatnot.

i know some guys have had good luck with the h2 rims, myself included, but i wouldn't do it again. i would rather have the $60 steel rims and weld on steel rings.

#176 ·
i checked the site and dont see them???? you guys still make them? and whats the possibility of makeing one maybe smaller inner diameter to clear 1ton brakes but will allow yoo to have inner and outter bead locks???? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.