Pirate 4x4 banner

4.3 gm dsl to 89 trooper w/2.8v6

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bones89801 
#1 ·
Have 89 trooper w/gm 2.8 V6, that has gone the way of all good 2.8s. Also have GM 4.3 dsl. This matches the bell houseing & other stuff - some fab needed to make motormounts. Any one ever attempted or completed this swap? Any advice accepted! My mind is set though this conversion will happen - no matter what anyone thinks of the engine!

#2 ·
OK I'll ask the dumb question, what the hell is a 4.3 dsl? I'm assuming it's different from the regular 4.3L 3/4 of a 350 we all know and love. Unless I'm horribly mistaken the 4.3L uses the 90 degree bolt pattern versus the 60 degree pattern of the 2.8. If this is the standard 4.3L my dad bought the motor mount kit from advance adapters forever ago when he was planning on swapping a 4.3 into his trooper. They've probably been lost or thrown away over the years but if they're still around I'm sure he'd sell them cheap.

Travis

#4 ·
4.3 dsl v6 swap

It is a B-P-O engine that uses the 2.5/2.8/3.1 bellhousing configuration. Was mfgd by olds and used in Buick Century in mid 80s. Not to be confused with a GM 4.3 gas/which used the std GM bellhousing. This engine block is not compatible with side mount engine mounts one must use the front center mounting bracket. So I must presume from your request that no one has made this swap! So it looks like I am on my own - does it not. But it will be fun anyway.

#6 ·
This is a very do able swap. I've planned it for years. I can't find that engine though. It won't burn any barns, but it should be dead reliable and fuel milage should be great. Yes, the 2.8 L tranny will bolt up to it, but I have yet to get a chance to see how the starter and flywheel spacing are going to be affected. That's the biggest obstacle.

Motor mounts we figure should work. If not then the 2.6L engine mounts looks real close. Our calculations are the mount will need to elongated at the mounting holes by 1/4 inch.

You'll probably need a 4 core radiator to keep it cool. That motor is real sensitive to overheating.

Keep us updated.

SSSRodeo

#7 ·
Well I have mated the trans to the engine - the starter is on the drivers side & matches the Isuzu bellhousing(little trimmin required) The @.8 pilot bushing will insert & the spacing looks rewal good. The biggest thing is locating a flywheel that will bolt to the Buick.....one was never made for this application Any ideas? The Buick FWD version has a center front motor mount, the block sides are not drilled to accept mounts. So a little fabing on the front & the Buick will mount on the front center. This will also necesitate the use of a torque strut. Clearence looks excellant on the prefit/ Exhaust may be challenging but a good bender will cure this also. Have't concerned myself with the radiator yet - would like the firebox in the cellar first. Any suggestions on a manual flywheel would be greatly accepte.

Mike

#8 ·
Mike, I can't remember off the top of my head what flywheel we thought would work for this motor. I'm going to need a day or two to go through my notes..We had something we thought would work, damnit I just can't remember right now. I think I remember talking about having to re-drill the flywheel to make it work with the Isuzu pressure plate. Not Rocket Science. Seems we talked about cutting a groove in the flywheel for the ring gear too. We just didn't have an engine to check on spacing for this at the time. But, I've mated up Honda Civic 4 cylinder engines to VW transaxles this way before for our race car, so I know it can be done.

SSSRodeo

#9 ·
I ran this across my partner last night and here's what he had to say about what he remembered about our earlier discussions about the swap. He's and expert on Isuzus and knows what he's talking about.
Hope this helps.

"Hey, I think the flywheel he's looking for was used on the front drive Olds Cieras. There was a guy in one of my classes that put that 4.3L diesel motor in his front drive Olds with a front wheel drive 4 speed.
That thing was impressive and would go for a diesel. That engine was not as some people believed an off shoot of the 350 v8 diesel. It was a whole new design and that's probably why it stayed together and didn't give a lot of problems with the later year models. Except for the Aux Fuel pump and a few govenor rings in the roadmaster injection pump. The Olds 4 speed manual will probably be rare. I would just about bet that 2.8L / 3.1L flywheel would come real close to working.
I think that the 95-100 HP V 6 Diesel would perform great in that truck, due to the low end torque considering the 2.8L and 3.0 Isuzu DSL with the turbo make about the same horsepower. "

Like I said before, we brain stormed this out a long time ago, but couldn't find a working motor to work all the bugs. Know of any more 4.3 L DSL motor that can be had? I'd love to figure out his swap too. From what he's saying a flywheel from a front wheel drive motor should work or could be modified to work.

Keep in touch, I know of a great Isuzu parts source. New and used parts
SSSRodeo

#10 ·
Sorry for the delay, but all this stuff to do! The project has been moved to the rear of the shop for now....hoping someone has a brain surge to help me with the flywheel situation. Know where another engine is: Contact Butch Jarvis @ American Auto Salvage, Grand Junction, Colo. 1-970-242-5600. He has a runner from a cerca 84 Buick Century, as mine did.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.