Longfields
5 spd.
Dual cases w/4.7
35's

The bad:
20r w/ Webber carb
lots of oil leaks

Here's some quick poser shots.

It has a little rust, but not bad for a 28 year old Toyota. Already placed an order for a front end reseal kit, gussets, upgraded studs and a t-case mount/skid.

Plans are to reseal everything first then bob the bed and build some bumpers and a cage.

I know there is no tech yet. Please be patient! :flipoff2:

See less See more
#2 ·
Picked up a 1980 long bed this weekend.

The good:
4" Rancho lift
Crossover steering
5.29's (lockright front, welded rear)
Longfields
5 spd.
Dual cases w/4.7
35's

The bad:
20r w/ Webber carb
lots of oil leaks

Here's some quick poser shots.

It has a little rust, but not bad for a 28 year old Toyota. Already placed an order for a front end reseal kit, gussets, upgraded studs and a t-case mount/skid.

Plans are to reseal everything first then bob the bed and build some bumpers and a cage.

I know there is no tech yet. Please be patient! :flipoff2:
\

Thats a nice buy there. Seems like its got some goods, just add some sliders and bumpers, maybe some seals and gaskets here and there and you should be golden. Damn it all these nice 1st gens give me motivation to finish my 83. Goodluck with your truck

Sean

#5 ·
Finally got all my ducks in a row and decided to tear into the front axle on my Toyota to fix the leaky seals and add some armor.

Spent an hour last night steam cleaning as much of the crap as I could get off the axle and engine. Got there this morning to find that the power was out. I should have taken this as a sign of things to come. Once the power came back I got to work. Only to find this:

These were supposed to be Longfield's according to the PO. :mad: They are an aftermarket birf but they aint Longs.

Luckily it didn't hurt the inside of the knuckle too bad.

#6 · (Edited)
So after getting frustrated I settled down and got to work.
Added a set of knuckle gussets (Welds look like crap!),

and some ring gear protection.

Have to go back tomarrow and finish removing the broken stud from the knuckle and reassemble everything.

Monday I get to order a set of Longs. :rolleyes:

Then I get to do it all over again on the driver side. :bounce:

#10 · (Edited)
bbagwell said:
I have a custom oil pan like that on my truck too! As long as it is holding oil and the pick up tube is picking up oil it will be fine. Mine has been that way for years.
I'm not really worried about it.

The Rancho lift works for now (Alcan in here in Junction so they'll get the nod for the next set of springs), the 20r is just tired.

#13 ·
It gets better!

<dramatic pause><que sad violin music>

Went in today to remove the broken stud from the knuckle only to find two of the 4 holes are stripped. Guess I need to find a right side knuckle as well (I will not attempt to repair the threads as the holes in question are for the steering studs and the last thing I will ever do is run a bandaded steering setup).

#22 · (Edited)
Finally got off my butt and got the pasenger side finished (well, almost finished). Still need to get a hub and pull the spindle one more time to install the axle (left it out since I need a snap ring for it still). But its all sealed up otherwise. I did have to notch the crap out of the upper gusset to clear the felt ring but other than that it went back together fairly easy. I did screw up one of the fancy Marlin inner axle seals so I had to place an order for another one as well as the snap ring I needed. Should have the replacement parts in time to finish it up and start the driver side next weekend. Hopefully I'll remember to take the cammera next week. :rolleyes:

#33 · (Edited)
Run it for now. Keep an eye out for a new pan (and add bump stops).

MT4Runner, it looks like you ran one continuous bead on the gussets. Is it alright to do this? I stitch welded mine (why the welds look so bad) since everything I read said not to get the housing too hot or it will warp. If it won't hurt I think I'll pull the thing back apart and redo the welds.

#34 ·
Haven't made any progress in the last few weeks (been too lazy) but I did buy a parts truck.

Its a 2wd conversion that a friend started and gave up on since he has another kid on the way and he needs something that holds 5 people. Plans are to keep the axles, 22r (may put it in mine as is) and front clip. Doors will go on mine (my doors will become half doors) as will the seats and most of the interior. Now I just need to get motivated and get back to work on my front end.

#35 ·
Time for an update! Sold the parts truck to a kid that insisted he had to have it. :rolleyes:
In the meantime I actually finished the front axle rebuild, and attempted to install the Trail Gear dual case skid/mount. I'm not very impressed. The skid itself is beefy and should hold up no problem. The bad part is none of the holes line up on the frame and it hangs down way to low. I was able to force it to line up 3 of the 8 holes so I could at least get an idea of where in needs to be altered.

Plans are to cut the skid off (like this):

and rebuild the sides to raise the tranny/ t-case up as high as possible (will likely need to move the exhaust up as well).

#37 ·
If all else fails, do the angle iron trick. Mine is welded to the outside of the frame and uses 3 1/2" bolts per side. No problems in 3 years with it.

Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Auto part Car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.