Pirate 4x4 banner

5.3 Jeeps

2M views 7K replies 648 participants last post by  RANGERROD 
#1 ·
Hey all you guys that are running the 5.3l chevy motors in your Jeeps, what trans and case are you all running?

#9 ·
it really depends on what your doing and what the rest of the driveline is, but ive seen some chevy trucks get badly abused and stay together, so i dont know why you would have a problem with it for a little while, i would run it, whats the worst that could happen? you break it and then you just order your atlas.

#7 ·
1997 TJ - 5.3l, TH350, Atlas 4.3.

You could use the 4L60E if you need OD, or a 700R4. Both are expensive to build, but the 4L60E needs computer control, which can add that much more complication. 700R4 will be easier, TH350 or 400 is easiest & cheaper.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm running the 5.3 with 4l60 and stock pushbutton 4x4 transfercase out of a 2002 avalanche it works fine but i wouldn't put it in to much of a bind or it lets the chain slip. I think im going to change to the np 241 or 231 with sye just to get by until i can get a good case. Also wanted to say im running dana 60's and 41 inch swampers . I havn't broke the stock case in a year of abuse.

One question for the guys with the 4l60 and the atlas. Are you running the speed sensor after all your gear reduction or in 4 lo does it think its going 100 miles per hour at 35 ?

#17 ·
how many of you are running a stock TJ pump?
If not what pump are you running?
Also what axle gears are you running?

I have a 5.3 39.5's and 4.10's and it seems to have no sack, about to pull the trigger on 5.13's. Figured i'd ask

#20 ·
I'm running the factory yj 2.5 liter fuel pump seems to work fine . I also went with 5.38 gears and 41's it has plenty of power . I can't fully test it yet since ive got xj springs on the rear . I get serious axle wrap when i hammer it. Getting 4 linked as we speak.

#28 ·
5.3,sm465,np205

I built a truck for a kid here with a 5.3,Advance adapters clutch kit,sm465, and np205.I used a painless harness, and had the computer reflashed by fastchips.They claim 375 rear wheel horsepower and it feels like it the truck rips.Oh, it is all in a 72 chevy 4x4 fleetside,painted hugger orange.:smokin:

#29 ·
In the middle of this swap now!

I can't offer much yet b/c I'm right in the middle of this swap as we speak. I have a 5.3 Vortec LM7 from a 2002 Avalanche, a 4L60E from a 2002 Suburban, and decided to go w/ a NP241C from a 95 Tahoe along w/ a JB Conversions super short SYE kit. It's going to be stuffed into a 95 YJ that came stock w/ the 2.5 Liter piece of crap engine and AX5 manual tranny--probably in about 2 weeks.

#30 ·
I am in the process of building a 5.3 for the CJ8. Its a 2003 with full floating rods and the newer pistons (anodized top ring land, nitrided top ring, and floating pin). Its going to be running a LS6 Zo6 cam with milled 5.3l heads. The trans is a built th-350 with the trans go manual kit. More to come as it is installed and tuned.

Where is everyone going for harnesses? I am thinking of just calling painless and dumping the 700 bones.

#37 · (Edited)
I actually picked up a set of Mac mid-length headers for 98-02 LS1 F-bodies and they fit my Scrambler damn near perfect. I like em better than any other non-custom ones I've seen for Jeeps and they'll make more power than shorties. I got them for $125 shipped and I see them for sale on ls1tech.com pretty often for under $200. Not sure if they're offered in stainless but I think ceramic coating is a better option regardless.

Oh, and I was gonna put a 5.3 in my Scrambler but now I'm going with a mildly build LQ4 6.0. Same size and all the important stuff for a swap is the same. For a harness I might just do it myself, but I've heard good things about Speartech standalone harnesses for about $500. I've got several buddies who've gotten LSX tunes from Nelson Performance with great results, and once you buy the initial tune they'll re-tune it for free I think.

I'll be running a built 700R4 behind it with a 231-300 doubler. An adapter to the 300 was the same price as the doubler so it was a no brainer. All you have to do is swap a 27 spline input shaft from a 231, 241, or I think 208 into whatever 231 case you have and no adapter is required besides the stock one. I'm using the whole 241 6-pinion planetary in my 231 case. I won't be surprised if I break the t-case(s) with 425+hp but I couldn't swing the extra $2k for an Atlas at this point. Once the initial sticker shock for the full build is over I'll probably upgrade it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.