Pirate 4x4 banner

Would you be interested in buying a kit like this?

• Yes

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 25.0%

DynaTrac FreeSpin Hub Kit for 05+ Tacoma and FJ Cruiser

16K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Hornsfan 
#1 ·
Okay this is our chance to get a new product going for these trucks to get rid of the crappy wheel bearing issues with these trucks. I emailed DynaTrac and brought it to there attention. We need to show that there is interest in this product in order for it to get produced. The idea is very similar to there Dodge unit bearing retrofit for the FreeSpin hub kit. You can check it out here FreeSpin hub kit for Dodge

The Dodge factory bearing setup is pretty near identical to the Toyota. So this is what the kit would basically be I am assuming. Longer CV output shaft instead of a yoke style output. This kit would also give you the ability to have manual hubs. Something we all would like to have to save on uneeded wear on compnents. More importantly though if this kit were to come out our front wheel bearing issues would be illiminated and the bearings would be servicable. Price is looking to be between $1500-$2000. I find that resonable because when the crappy wheel bearings pile it can take out a ton of expensive parts that can equal more than the price of the kit.

So speak up and lets get the ball rolling with this because I personally am tired of this current poor design.

Thanks,
John

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmm... I guess it could if the kit actually had manual hubs. I imagine it would be an option. My main goal is to get rid of the crap unit bearings that Toyota uses for the wheel bearings. Then you would still have to disconnect your rear driveshaft so in theory yes it would get you halfway.

#4 · (Edited)
I just ran across this thread by doing a web search for Dynatrac Freespin hubs Tacoma. I'm interested. There are currently no manual hub options for the 05+ Tacoma. Yet, the entire front drivetrain is significantly stronger than the previous Tacomas/4Runners due to the larger diff and 1.31" axle shafts instead of the embarrassing 1.1" front shafts. Along with the availability of long travel IFS kits, I think people will be slower in thinking solid axle conversion on the 05+ generation since the front end is so much stronger and can be made to flex well. I know the previous generation (96+) of Tacomas/4Runners were stuck with a $1000 price tag for converting to manual hubs due to all the parts necessary to add manual hubs, so the newer Toyota crowd is already used to the high price of a manual hub conversion. (I had the prototype vehicle for that ORS kit on 4Runners).

#8 ·
Yes the front of an FJC is towable as is the 4runner. I have flat towed my 4runner over 2000 miles with the driveshaft disconnect.

I am interested in the manual hub kit for the 05+ Tacoma to keep the cv's from turning on my long travel kit. Though it would be a hefty price tag at $1500-2000 and would probably deter me from purchasing.

#12 ·
Where is the tone ring for ABS/VSC on an FJ Cruiser? If it is on the end of the outer CV joint, this would be a no go. You'd lose all of your ABS/VSC HAC DAC and whatever other acronyms plus you'd have a christmas tree lit up on the dash. Unless they relocate the sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.