Pirate 4x4 banner

Cruiser Buggy part deux.. or this hot 40 year old followed me home :D

25K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  geberhard 
#1 ·
So, I am the proud inheritter, errr new owner of the "Battle Axe", a very sweet Cruiser buggy with a lot of history behind. I sold my rig recently and was starting on the next project when this one came about, and eventually followed me home. I got in touch with Josh, a great guy, and we talked about the rig, got some more pics, and things just went downhill (or uphill) from there.

I will need to dig more info here, but believe the rig started life as a 70's cruiser, and then was custom built for Johnny Rotten, from the Pirates of the Rubicon, and as far as I know a lot of the build was done with WelderBoy, Johnny, BNTMike, and Josh. Even after years of use and abuse, the cruiser shows a very clean build, with a lot of attention to detail, and looks like a lot of planning and time have been put on it.

From all the pics I have seen (Josh has some awesome shots of her in action) the Cruiser is an excellent wheeler, spanking a lot of trails from snow, mud and the box on the Con.

With our next baby on the way, this worked out perfect, as I has just sold my Jeep on one tons which was my baby for the last 10 plus years, and already missed it pretty bad :) More info on my rig and write-ups on this link.

Ok, on to the rig spec (from Josh's ad: )

Front: Dana 60 HD Case w/ Diff guard
ARB + 7.17’s
Recently rebuilt kingpins, bearings, hubs. Gussets on the "C", Gusseted knuckles
35 Spline Black Max Alloys, Fresh CTM Joints
WelderBuilt 4 Link, 250 Wall DOM Links, Johnny Joints
Single Rate TJ Front coils with EdleBrock 14" Remote Res. Shocks

Rear: Dana 70U Newly rebuilt (gears, bearings, seals)
Welded 7.17’s
Disk Brakes
35 Spline
WelderBuilt 4 Link 250 Wall DOM Links
14" Sway-Away Dual Rate Remotes

Full Hydro with 8" Ram, skid plated, Howe cooler & Resievor. Station Orbital.

Clean Title & Plates (not street legal)
Custom Grill
Trailer hitch, ice chest rack
Warn 8274
On Board Welder
York OBA w/pressure switch and tank
Corbeau seats with 5 point harness's
20 Gal fuel cell
New wire harness, very clean relays & fuses – wired for street lights. Custom dash & shifters , auto meter gauges.
Expanded metal floor.
Optima Yellow Top
Battery isolator
Rock Lights, head lights w/dimmer.
Stereo (6X9's) amp

42" Iroks on 15 x 10 C&R Motorsports Beadlocks

DOM 188 Wall and HREW tubing for the backhalf and cage.

With 15 - 20 lbs of air:

Front tireXtire outside ~89"
Front wmsXwms ~69"

Rear tireXtire ~85"
Rear wmsXwms ~65"

Highest point on cage 84 1/4"
Belly 25 1/4"
Bottom of rock sliders 37"

I am definitely going to keep adding to the rig, and cannot wait to get some seat time :) The wheels are turning in my head, but the plan is to leave it umolested as long as I can. I started doinga few things here arnd there but the first next step is to lower it a few inches as I had to lower the tires to fit in the garage not a biggie ;)

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! Yep, it has a nice and warm garage, and I am slowly starting the wrenching on it. Hoping to hit the trail in teh next coupel of weeks, and Josh was so right, this rig gives total "perma-grin" :D ANd teh rig has passed quality control with my 19 month old, going bruuum bruuuummmm! She even digged the air horns :)

#7 ·
Gui,
Congrats on the new rig. Is it going to see any work from that sweet new tube bender? Now you're gonna be like me having to put a back seat in it for the little ones!

#8 ·
Randy, thanks! Yep, you reaed my mind. I am playing witha couple of drawings now. Ideally woudl be interesting to setup a removeable rear section, so need to play with Photochop some and start bending :) Need to relocate exhaust, and a few other mods, but that is about it :)

Gui

#10 ·
Thsi rig is so sweet that makes it easier to adjust :D Seeing the round headlights on the trailer made it easier, kinda looked like I was hauling my rig :) But do not despair, I already have another Jeep project brewing on the side:evil:

#14 ·
Well it looks like I know where my next dog walk will leed me....It might be a little bit though, just had surgery on my knee. I think this will take approxamately 2 cold coors lights payments for "friend inspection duty". I can't believe you sold your "tonka"

#15 ·
Adam, for sure man, stop by! Knee surgery, yiiik,es, get better! Yep the Tonka has a happy new owner, he is commuting from Ptown to San Jose on the Jeep on 40"tires woudl be cool to spot it on the freeway :)

#17 · (Edited)
Dima, that woudl be awesome, I definitely need some bad influence and ideas so would appreciaet the input and a hand. I am leaning towards a 2+2 removeable rear section kinda thing if doable and would retain the strength, be safe and not mess up the current design and look of the rig. Basically woudl need to fit a bench style seat or smaller low back style (for car seats).

My lame Photochop attempt, so feel free to give any suggestions and ideas. I am starting to look at a few 4 seater designs so feel free to post up any suggestions.

I really want to leave teh rig unmolested and keep as much of the original look which I really dig.

#31 ·
Dang Gui, I didn't realize you sold the Heep! Congrats on the new rig, it looks :grinpimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.