Pirate 4x4 banner

Project #2, PEPECA the be-trail :)

64K views 114 replies 40 participants last post by  geberhard 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: most recent pic teaser...

Well,

As many of you know, once a Jeeper always a Jeeper! For those that do not know I have to confess I err...went slightly to the dark side, and adopted a Landcruiser Buggy after I sold my loved Jeep project of 10 plus years. Yes it was freaking hard seeing her go, but was time to get started on another project, and I just got to the point I could not see myself chopping and bugging her out. She has a great new home now :) Sentimentalism aside, I had a killer time, learned a lot and had a blast with the jeep in the last decade. Time to put that learning to good use.

Why get a built buggy now you ask? Well, we have baby 2.0 coming up, so downtime on the rig means zero wheeling time for me, so having a built rig ready is a huge plus to get my wheeling fix :D The BUGGER (BUGGy cruisER) did very well this last weekend on her maiden voyage to Fordyce. I gotta confess I am loving the Cruiser :D

Ok, on to the new project. I bought a few TJ's this year, a crapload of parts, axles, etc and was ready to start the new project up (TJ on tons). As I was about to break the saw on the rig, I came across a Jeep from a bud that was pretty close to what I wanted to get to, and one thing lead to another, and the TJ made its way to my garage. He had originally bought the rig semi-built, and had already started some work on the rig. Even though the rig still needs some good amount of loving to get finished up, it will save me a HUGE amount of time from getting another TJ to the point of where this rig is. The plan: a rig that will seat comfortably 2 passengers and room for TWO carseats, long arm, one tons, Atlas, ARB's heater and AC :D

Here are a couple shots from when he got it (sexy exo-cage, snorkell, and a good amount of booty fabbing):

Here is how the rig looks like now:

The starting list of to-dos:

-rear disc brake convo - caddy calippers, 3/4 ton front rotors, Dodge 3500 MC
-fix up all electrical
-redo rear shock routing
-roll cage (gotta put the bender to good use, I have been slacking horribly on that :(
-wheels\tires 42-44?
-bunch of other misc stuff, lockers\compressor, etc

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking good Gui! It's hard to believe that's the same roach the the PO drug home last summer. As I understand, the axles and suspension we built by Mike Ladd when he was running Bent & Twisted in Chico. If that's the case, you've got a damned solid foundation to build upon :smokin:

#3 ·
Mark, yep, very stout base. The rear axle has some black x shafts, am assuming 35 splines, and hubs have been shortened. The cage is coming out as soon as I get the rig running under its own power again :D

#7 · (Edited)
Wow man, reading your first post is like deja vu. I have come full circle as well and now am back to a TJ as well. I will always be a toyota fan, but jeeps didn't completely leave my system. Heck I bought the FJ-40 that I went wheeling in the first time from some family friends. So needless to say my first time was in a Toyota, but I still love Jeeps because is was my first rig. I still miss it.

Having my first child was my reason to get back into a "street legal" 4 seater. I still have the buggy sitting in the shop for the boys weekends out, but the buggy just doesn't cut it for a family right now.

OK sorry for the hijack. Lets get this build under way. What are the specs?

#11 · (Edited)
so a bit of progress last night. Rear drum brakes are officially gone :D Chevy 3/4 ton front rotors, Cadillac Calipers, etc.

She aint'pretty but getting there :D Pics from last night, next steps are to swap front tires, and finish electrical and cage work:

old drums:

bling:

front Irok 40's compared to rear TSL 44's:

wide butt. And yes that is the new BestTop Tarptop (R) :D

#13 · (Edited)
I should be doing more to it this week as time allows. Work has been brutal with holidays around the corner, but plan is to wrap some stuff up and get the rig ready to wheels this month. I am really reconsidering the 44's on these wheels but should do the trick for now :D

#14 · (Edited)
so some slight progress. Digging into the electrical as it is a funky mess, but got the rig to start, drive and stop, kinda, so lets call that progress.

I am getting very inspired by the TJ cage thread, so started skecthing some designs. I may doa full on cage, or at a minimum create an a-pillar tied to tub (Gen-right stanchions).

The 44's are all in, and look purty with the rig slightly lower. SOon will be time to decide what the heck I will do on the front as the 44's will rub the front fenders at full turn as is.

There is a good amount of booty fab on the rig what has been taking time to clean up, but no complaints, just want to get the rig back on the road and see how it daily drives :D

More info and pics to come!

#19 ·
I installed a 2lb residual for the rear disc brakes, and it did not improve much the breaking power. I just received an adjustable prop valve so should be able to improve the breaking quality a bit. Will see how that runs, and worst case get a RAM2500 MC, worked pretty well on the similar setup on the YJ.

More info to come shortl ;)

#20 · (Edited)
So the rig is coming along, wrapping up the brakes this week, and hopefully finish up electrical as well.

For brakes, the current setup is the dual piston Ford front 60 and single piston caddy calipers. I added a 2lb residual valve for the rear, and an adjustable prop valve. Removed calipers and leveled for bleeding (remove any air). I bled the brakes and took for a spin and she did well, but I think there is still some room to improve.

I am most likely removing the internals on the stock TJ prop valve, and giving it another shot. I am not expecting brake on a dime on the 44's, but want them to work very well.

The body is mostly done, suspension and overall re-check done. Installed a new soft top (Jeddi thanks again!), and shoudl be teraing up teh interior in the next few weeks, rolle liner, etc.

A few crappy pics form yesterday, Cruiser molestation :D

The rear fenders clear perfect :D

I took the buggy to the coin car wash, and almost got denied (owner said the mud was going to clog up his drains), but was a pretty cool guy and after I bribed him with an in-and-out burger he let me clean her up :D

#21 · (Edited)
I also need some form of OVBA on the rig. I have the air tank mounted in the bottom, but need to figure out compressor (ARB, Viair, or go York again - preferred).

I need to see how much space I will end up with in the bay. I may need to modify the front fenders (maybe highline) as the 44's will hit the bottom of the fenders.

#22 ·
Hey Gui,

Nice projects! You used to talk with us, from Rest of World - I mean Brazil, on 4x4brasil forum.

I'm right now building a willys truggy on RWs and 44" TSL, just curious to know what kind of joint and tube specs you're using for suspension. My first choice is ballistic, from what I've read and see here, am I right?

Abraço!

#23 ·
Fernando, greta to hear from ya man! I am missing Brazil big time, and so envious about summer over there you have no idea, hehe :D

Teh rig has modified RE long arms, but if I were doing this from stratch Ballistic would be my choice (I actually just sold my last Ballistic brackets here). I had to redo the rear setup, there was an amount of stuff that was not done to my liking and specially not very street friendly.

I shoudl be working on the rear suspension again soon, but will leave as is for the time being. The plans will be to have longer shocks mounted to towers on the sides, or install teh CO's I have, the only challenge is that I do not want to cut into the rear of teh tub (the rig will stay baby friendly :D)

#24 · (Edited)
Fernando, great to hear from ya man! I am missing Brazil big time, and so envious about summer over there you have no idea, hehe :D

The rig has modified RE long arms, but if I were doing this from scratch Ballistic would be my choice (I actually just sold my last Ballistic brackets here). I had to redo the rear setup, there was an amount of stuff that was not done to my liking and specially not very street friendly. The rear arms are chromolly inners and DOM sleeved, but are overkill, and heavy, but will do the trick for teh time being.

I should be working on the rear suspension again soon, but will leave as is for the time being. The plans will be to have longer shocks mounted to towers on the sides, or install the CO's I have, the only challenge is that I do not want to cut into the rear of the tub (the rig will stay baby friendly :D)

#26 · (Edited)
The axles are pretty pimped out. Front and rear are Black Max shafts, front CTM's; rear is a hybrid 60/14. 5.13 and ARB's cutting brakes should be arriving soon :D

I need to make some sissy rear flares of some kind to make the rig a bit less of a cop magnet :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.