Pirate 4x4 banner

Beyond urgent!!! Read now!

6K views 59 replies 35 participants last post by  lamar95x4 
#1 ·
I just got off the phone with Dave Cole.

There IS progress being made with the 29 palms expantion.

In A GOOD WAY!

We need two things badly:

1. At least 2,000 comments sent in.

I am working on a campaign for this starting Monday. Hopefully with some vendors helping out.

2. WE NEED PEOPLE AT THESE MEETINGS!!!

Ontario 5:00pm – 9:00 pm
Wednesday, April 13 – Ontario High School Gym
901 w. Francis St.

Victorville 5:00pm – 9:00 pm
Thursday April 13 – Hilton Garden Inn, Mirage/Sahara Conference Center
12603 Mariposa Rd.

If you can make them in ANYWAY, please do. Call people you know in the area, e-mail and facebook them, etc....

For you NorCal folks, Amy and Randii are doing a comment writing workshop at Cal4 HQ in Sacramento. 10 AM this SATURDAY..

Here is the text from her e-mail:

There's going to be a "Friends & Family" Comments workshop held on April 16th dedicated to the Johnson Valley Marine withdrawal.

This is an informal meeting to be held at the CA4WDC Office in Sacramento, for all those that want to brush up on the ABC's of Comment Writing, get help with reading the document, talk about strategy, etc.

Randy Burleson and I will be leading the discussion, and we look forward to seeing a lot of familiar and new faces, and working with others who have been through a comments workshop, and may be able to help teach others the skills they have already learned.

The Johnson Valley Marine withdrawal is one of the most importance issues facing OHV recreation, and we have to attack the document - it's up to us to act and make a difference.

Please let me know if you are interested in attending, this isn't a formal session, but we would like to have an idea who is coming. And please pass on the invite to others you think may be interested.

There is no charge, and everyone is on their own for lunch and/or refreshments. (You can always bring something to show with the group!)

See less See more
#2 ·
I will be at the Victorville meeting Thur, hope to see a few of you there:)

#7 ·
Last nights meeting.

Just wanted to make sure everyone understands that the meetings will be in an open house format to allow individual interaction with the public. There will not be a microphone to address the entire meeting but rather the ability for the public to interact with representatives of the Land Expansion Project. Last night's meeting went well in my opinion. We really want to hear from the public and get quality input to put in the EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) so that when it goes before congress & the President that they can make the best decision. Please let everyone you know about the project and that there are several ways to get your input on it. At the meetings we will have comment tables so you can write it out, computers so you can put it right into the website and a court reporter so you can give oral comments. Also if English is not your first language and would like to submit your comment in your native language we will take that too! I will be at these next two meetings tonight and tomorrow representing the Marines in the Alternatives section and look forward to seeing you all there!

Mike
GySgt USMC

#26 ·
Just wanted to make sure everyone understands that the meetings will be in an open house format to allow individual interaction with the public. There will not be a microphone to address the entire meeting but rather the ability for the public to interact with representatives of the Land Expansion Project. Last night's meeting went well in my opinion. We really want to hear from the public and get quality input to put in the EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) so that when it goes before congress & the President that they can make the best decision. Please let everyone you know about the project and that there are several ways to get your input on it. At the meetings we will have comment tables so you can write it out, computers so you can put it right into the website and a court reporter so you can give oral comments. Also if English is not your first language and would like to submit your comment in your native language we will take that too! I will be at these next two meetings tonight and tomorrow representing the Marines in the Alternatives section and look forward to seeing you all there!

Mike
GySgt USMC

Mike, Thank you for the educational process last night.
Mike was standing at the Alt 6 display basicly taking a pretty good verbal beating and took it like a man with a smile on his face. He was respectful and open to discussions. While I don't think Mike can decide which alternative the Marines should go with, he seemed proactive in looking at all possible suggestions. It was a very good format, and the Marines all had a very open posture regarding OHV needs.

Some people might think that its possible that if given the proper tools the Marines might seek additional options, I tend to believe that this just may be the case. My perception is that a large contingency currently recreate in Johnson Valley, are avid OHV users, and beleive that our country needs to continue offering safe areas in which our families can recreate.

I firmly beilive we can oppose Alternate 6 while still supporting the needs of of armed forces, and think its our Civic Duty to participate in this process rather then sit idle and watch it unfold. Marines like a good fight, so lets give them one.

It was a great meeting, I can't suggest enough that anyone who can, attend the last one tonight.

#8 ·
For you NorCal folks, Amy and Randii are doing a comment writing workshop at Cal4 HQ in Sacramento. 10 AM this SATURDAY..

Here is the text from her e-mail:

There's going to be a "Friends & Family" Comments workshop held on April 16th dedicated to the Johnson Valley Marine withdrawal.

This is an informal meeting to be held at the CA4WDC Office in Sacramento, for all those that want to brush up on the ABC's of Comment Writing, get help with reading the document, talk about strategy, etc.

Randy Burleson and I will be leading the discussion, and we look forward to seeing a lot of familiar and new faces, and working with others who have been through a comments workshop, and may be able to help teach others the skills they have already learned.

The Johnson Valley Marine withdrawal is one of the most importance issues facing OHV recreation, and we have to attack the document - it's up to us to act and make a difference.

Please let me know if you are interested in attending, this isn't a formal session, but we would like to have an idea who is coming. And please pass on the invite to others you think may be interested.

There is no charge, and everyone is on their own for lunch and/or refreshments. (You can always bring something to show with the group!)
For the SoCal folks, we are setting up two comments workshops. Sunday May 1 in Glendale and Tuesday, May 3 in Johnson Valley vicinity (possibly Victorville/Lucerne Valley).

The purpose of the SoCal comments workshops is to teach you to dissect the DEIS and find the errors, the weak spots and the failures on the part of the Marines to meet the NEPA requirements. These workshops are for those who want to go for the jugular (metaphorically), the people who are willing to learn the fine art of finding all of the undotted i's and uncrossed t's. We know that there are folks in our community of recreationalists and residents, and businesses who have this ability and we want to give you the tools.

As with the NORCal event, Amy and Randy will be our guides. They're good, they're tough and they're experienced.

See Harry Baker at the Ontario & Victorville Meetings for more details. This is happening fast and plans are coming together.

#9 ·
snaps, im swamped with a massive dead line. is sent in a letter via the link at the top of pirate right now.

ill def keep an eye on the Johnson Valley forums, im new to the area and have yet to use the land but would sure as hell like to see it stay open for when i have free time to get out there.

#11 · (Edited)
On 12 hr shift work. Wish i could go.:(

Just submitted my family letter.

Hello,
My wife and I moved here 8 years ago over 2000 miles away just For Johnson valley, Nothing else. We moved here from the north east coast where wheeling is poaching. There is no support for
Offroading In the North Eastern States. We came from a area where Friday night the local kids would Illegally drive on others land and trash other people’s property. We saw the rare opportunity Johnson valley provides for everyone. So we started are family here. We now have a 5 year old son. Because of local clubs, and friendly wheeling trips offroading has become a treasure to value and take care of. My son now makes it a point to pick up litter and spend time outdoors, in a age where kids show little respect and no desire to leave the TV.
We have 36,000 in receipts just from last year spent in the Johnson valley area in regards to offroading in Johnson Valley. I have purchased a RV, Buggy , Diesel truck, and a Trailer, Just to use in Johnson Valley OHV on top of the 36,000 dollars. Not including the thousand of dollars in tools and supplies to use these toys. We have been coming to Johnson valley OHV for over 7 years and there is NOTHING compared to the terrain in the United States of this size for OHV.
My question to you is why is this land needed if The Commander and Chief says we are removing are troops overseas? Why have you not considered more going EAST.. Leave Johnson valley ALONE? Why can’t you Take the reserve land north? Why not use China Lake? How is the impact considered minimal if you have to buy everyone out? Force everyone to start poaching rock crawling/desert riding? How is it minimal for you to make me and my family Leave California when this overtaxed state will have one less desirable thing? I do appreciate your time if your reading this and hope you Leave Johnson Valley OHV INTACT.

Thank You
Mark, Jen, & Levi Underwood

#21 ·
I went to the Ontario meeting tonight and just so people are aware this is not a 4 hrs meeting you can simply show up sometime between 5 and 9 pm sign in and fill out a comment form put in the box and leave if you are short on time. They offer 3 ways to fill out the forms. You can write one on your own, You can fill it out on a laptops set up there or you can verbally tell your comments to a stenographer and she will type it for you. how much easier can it get?? Come on people lets not think of the reasons we can't spend some of your time to help the fight to save this lets stand up and fight to keep the Hammers for us as well as our kids so they can have places to enjoy this sport as well. I will be going to the victorville meeting tomorrow night as well so if there is anyway to make it please make the effort now and not let this be something we look back and say remember when????

SHOW UP !!!!!!!

#22 · (Edited)
Just got home from Ontario, think we had a pretty good turnout. There is a lot of us on staff at the meetings to help out so if you have any question please ask. Like SoCal said, you can spend as little or as much time as you want with us. Our main purpose for these meetings is to get the public's input to make this the best possible process it can be. See everyone in Victorville tomorrow:)

Mike

P.S.
Pirate, thanks for putting up the banner, this is really important to all recreational users!

#24 ·
Also alittle FYI that I learned last night.....
if you cant make it the the meetings at least fill out the form on line if you seen the maps of what they want to take we are going to loose everything to almost Camp Rock Rd. Key points are we are fine with alternative plan #3 whick give them the expansion to the east and we will loose nothing or Alt. plan #7 whick you will see nothing about on any of the posters they have displayed and that is NO CHANGE TO THE PERIMITTER OF THE BASE. I am not telling you what to say just sharing what I learned...

But if you can SHOW UP......

#30 ·
Don't give up hope guys - there is still time to act!
Here is a summary after being at a couple of the meetings:
1] The Marines are telling us what land they want and how they are going to get it. [FALSE]

2] There’s nothing we can do so stop from losing our land. [FALSE]

This comment period is vitally as it’s the public’s chance to voice our opinion. WE, THE PEOPLE if we want to be heard and want reaction. There is an independent company to compile our comments and put into action the alternative that is going to be the best compromise for everyone.

Originally there was a ‘No-Action Alternative’ and five Alternative plans proposed. After the first comment period in which nearly 20,000 comments were received, the Marines created Alternative 6 and named it “The Preferred Alternative” DON’T BE FOOLED as this IS NOT the preferred alternative for us OHV people! We want Alternative #3 as it leaves 100% of Johnson Valley open 12 months out of the year. Alternative #6 would only leave 44% of Johnson Valley open for only 10 months out of the year.

FURTHER MORE, Alternative #6 has a loophole that could keep it closed to the public for the entire year. **The ’10 month open window’ is subject to a determination by the Commanding General that the area has been returned to a condition suitable for authorized public access following each Marine Expeditionary Brigade Exercise. The “compromise” is that the Marine’s only need two months out of the year to complete the ‘full scale exercise’ therefore 10 months would be open to the public. It is entirely possible that the Commanding General could declare that [due to budgetary constraints] the Military does not have the funds to “return the area to a condition suitable for authorized public access [‘clean up’] therefore leaving our now limited area shut down.

Alternative #3:
This option leaves Johnson Valley OHV area untouched. Rather, it states the Marine Corp would have to move the proposition to the East of their current boundaries. This would mean that the Government would need to de-designate wilderness area. Note this particular ‘wilderness area’ was used by General Patton to train military before it was designated as wilderness. The other Alternative de-designates OHV areas that are being used by Americans for recreation, living, income and more.

The following are “comments” for Alternative #3: [reasons to expand to the East by 200,000 acres]• No impact to OHV opportunities in Johnson Valley

• More compatible areas with the proposed action

• Less impact to local business owners

• Less impact to recreational opportunities

• Less populated

• The area has already been used by the military in the past

• Economy will be less affected

Reasons against expansion to the West• Reduction in area for off-road and outdoor recreational opportunities

• Reduction in area for the film industry

• Negative impact on the economy

• May impact public health and safety of surrounding communities

• May affect Southern California Edison (SCE) electric transmission facilities and/or distribution facilities

• May promote illegal riding

• Potential impact on groundwater supplies and quality

• Potential impact on biological resources (e.g., desert tortoise and prairie falcon)

Keep in mind that the King of the Hammers event draws over 30,000 for their one week event and the total comments received during the first comment period was less than 20,000

IT’S TIME TO BE HEARD IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE & CAMP IN JOHNSON VALLEY WITH YOUR KIDS /GRANDKIDS.

Physical bodies and written comments at the meetings are best - you can show up any time between 5 and 9pm to fill out a form. BUT if you can't be there please...

Click here to vote for Alternative #3
https://extranet.tecinc.com/29Palms_DEIS/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.