Our Kubota RTV 900 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Our Kubota RTV 900

We'd been shopping around for a good used Rhino or Ranger for working around the house as well working, hunting, playing on some property in the mountains and came across this Kubota RTV 900 for sale locally. The fellow who had it just had a for sale sign on it, no price or information and only had it for sale about a week or so before we checked it out.

My Dad knew the guy so he inquired and found the price he wanted was about what we've been seeing Rhinos/Rangers of the same year go for. After doing a little research, as I knew nothing about the Kubotas, we figured for the price even if we hate it after a year or two we'll probably be able to make money selling it.

It's a 2008 and had 168 hours on the clock, 3 cylinder diesel, hydrostat 3 speed transmission, full cab (roof is metal, doors and back window are soft), heater, 2.5k warn winch, hydraulic tilt bed, Curtis snow plow (with lift cylinder). The guy said he paid $18500 brand new as it sits from the dealership. He bought it for working a small gold claim he has but health issues didn't allow that and most the hours on it were put on by a friend pushing snow. We paid $8500 which considering it's still like brand new I think it was a steal.

Its more tractor than UTV but will work fine for cruising the logging roads and stuff with the kids in the mountains. Top speed is only 25mph but we rarely ever go that fast on quads where we ride so I can live with that. The hydrostat transmission is just like running a tractor, the throttle is full hydro, accelerate and decelerate. If you take your foot of the throttle after going wide open it will lock up the axles. For many this might be a problem but for our steep terrain it's going to be very nice to just be able to slowly descend with out needing brakes.

The front full bench is nice, 2 adults and a kid fit just fine. Will need to add another seat belt though. It doesn't really compare to the Rhino or Ranger but we'll be able to run it side by side with my friends '05 Rhino 660 and compare for curosity. I'm sure the Rhino rides a lot better and I know it's much faster. The Kubota doesn't ride as harsh as I thought though, I think being so heavy (1900lbs) helps the fact it's got rear leaf springs like a truck.

First on the agenda is a rear cage and seating for the kids, I'm not quite finished with that but will post pictures of what I've got so far.

jstandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Mock up of the cage after bending the main hoops. A friend of mine gave some used poly buckets from an old project of his and they fit perfect;

Main cage done, building seat mount bracket;

Added some bed rails to protect the top of the bed sides and give us a place to attach things to as needed;

Seats mounted to brackets and working on installing seat belts. Might have to add a stringer or two (front to rear) between the cross braces to add some strength, the 1/8" angle is a little weak for the twisting force the seat belts might create;

Putting on a coat of Kubota orange;

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rope Dude

Member # 122622
I really think you need more bracing for that cage, as heavy as that Kobota is.
Office- 785 856 1844 Cell-580 504 1405

Need WINCH Rope? pirate4x4 is the secret code in the store for free shipping.

Have you seen APE EATER RACING's site
Custom Splice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Splice View Post
More never hurts but the factory cage is already an OSHA approved ROPS (with no diagonals) and it will work in conjunction with this cage if it rolled. The actual weak spot is the fact that the bed is a tilt. But, anytime kids are involved we drive very cautiously, worse case scenario the wheel falls off and it gets laid on it's side.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
That is a steal of a deal!
Most side by sides do OK at the tractor pulls tugging around the 6200 lb 4wd and 2wd trucks and some tractors, but I saw one of these towing 2 Pro Stock pulling tractors that weigh 10,000 lbs EACH!
Probably shouldn't tell you this with all the hot rod stuff in the background of the pictures, but there is an outfit that makes a turbocharger kit for those too.
There was a kid at the Tomah, Wisconsin pull with one that had the turbo kit on it, and a 5" chrome straight pipe, when he was towing something with it, he could spool up the turbo and it sounded like an IH DT466!
You can also get A/C for the cab.
Those are the nuts for a side by side that gets used for WORK! None better in my opinion.
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Phipps View Post
the pictures, but there is an outfit that makes a turbocharger kit for those too.
I found those on the net, pretty cool but not $2k cool they want for them. With a hydrostat transmission I'm not sure giving the engine a bunch more HP has the same amplified effect as on a belt or direct drive transmission. I'm not clear exactly how these transmissions work yet, it's called a "Variable Hydro Transmission". I would think you would get better performance gains modifying hydraulic pressure, etc, tweaking that part of the system than the motor.

But, as far as drive train goes we will leave it stock and reliable unless I come across some really easy stuff that doesn't increase the chance of breakage.

I'm thinking a small lift kit and slightly taller tires like this one below might be in the cards;
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Got it all painted and installed;

And if the passengers get too rowdy I can dump them out on the fly ;

Old 09-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 45
We have one on the farm and @500 hours, it is barely broken in.

While it is heavy, it does do what it was designed for and more.

Front driveshaft is waaaay puny and we have high centered it on some off camber trails in the woods.

I would buy another one though.

john

etiquette states that you bring your own towel to put between the chocolate starfish and furniture.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Splice View Post
I completely agree. ROPS doesn't mean much of anything. I have seen ROPS cages bend like a pretzel.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Made some minor additions lately.

Can't go hunting without gun racks right ??? Its the quintessential hillbilly accessory;

I built a raised 1-1/4" to 2" hitch adapter out of scrap iron for the rear and stuck a 2" ball on a chunk of 2" tube. This will give a place to tie down with a chain to our trailer (and tow a little trailer once in awhile);

Another scrap iron concoction, 1 1/4" clevis hitch for the front tie down;

Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Decided to make it a baby-General Lee since it was already orange