Would you race the KOH UTV race? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
Would you race the KOH UTV race?

The Guys at Hammerking are going to announce the schedule for KOH this weekend at Expo, and it got me to thinking about the UTV race that was done for three years. I sold my interest in KOH in March, but after investing a lot of time in the UTV race last year I am interested in hearing what people think about this type of race, and if they will race in it this year if they announce it will happen?

Last year 18 people entered. Not very many finished, I don't recall the actual number. The race started 3 years ago as a separate event held at the same time as KOH. Werock events was the promoter. In all honesty I did not have much involvement or did I care to as I had my hands full. It was a poor turn out and I am not sure what the purse was if any.

Disappointed in the results of that partnership, we considered dropping the race. Charlene Bower came on board at Hammerking and being into SXS's she talked us into running it again. I spent very little time but did design a course based on feedback from a couple racers I could find. PitBull tires came on board as the title sponsor and put up a $5000 purse. Again turn out was poor, and that aspect actually lost money in the big picture of KOH.

The good that came from the second year was that Kawasaki came on board and did the best thing possible for the UTV race. They gave me a Teryx demo unit to bash around in. HHHmmmm. These things are pretty cool.

Last year with the help of Mike Lasher, Reid Nordin from Kawasaki, Brian Bennett from Long Travel and Joey D from UTV Underground I got to see full well what we could do with a UTV. The approach for building the course was a page from the early years of KOH. with the main race I had graduated to using a computer to track and map the course. I had assembled with the help of Mark Mathews trails and data from the entire area. For the UTV race we went old school and made a shit ton of trips testing what the machines could do.

Reid and I actually ran the entire course a few weeks before in his Teryx with out assistance to see what kind of time we could lay down. The winner of last year beat us by about 5 minutes on time, but with no one to actually race you get a little lazy.

We missed our goal of last year to have 20 cars start the race, so my question today after the history lesson.

Would you race the KOH UTV race again if you already done it, and does this type of race interest you if you have not done it? I love the aspect of having to be fast in the desert and smart in the rocks. So for me its good racing.

What say you? What would you like to see at KOH with regards to the UTV's?

Or should Hammerking drop the race and focus on the Ultra4 cars?

What would make the race better?

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll; 10-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 143821
I had planned on KOH this past go around, but my dad had a heart attack a couple weeks prior to the event.
But this coming year, the rig is ready and everything is set to race.

I think you, Reid, Joey, Brian and the others have built a great course and event...it just takes some time though. Keep in mind, even the desert racing events have been building up, with turn out getting bigger each year. As long as you have sponsors like Pitbull Tires and decent contingencies, you will get more and more. As the SXS machines improve, you might consider making the course more challenging in the rock crawling...

And the coverage in UTV Off-Road Magazine is going to help also...the sport of SXS/UTVs is growing, give it some time and it will make good showings...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11995
Send a message via MSN to MossMan Send a message via Yahoo to MossMan
My vote would absolutely be for continuting the SXS/UTV class. From an outside perspective (not a racer) it seems the UTV racing is growing like crazy. And it seems like there is a good fit for everything from rock crawling to desert racing. And of course KOH fits right in the middle. Keep the race going so I can come compete in 2013. (don't think I can make it by 2012)
Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 141241
I thought about coming out in 2012 but coming from Indiana With really no help but maybe a copilot and racing against people with a lot more backing than I could ever have is my only draw back.but if they have it this year there is a decent chance I will make it.the sooner I know if they are gonna have it the better then I can start saving change for gas money to get there.
trec sxs unlimited class#627
taking down xp's one at a time
mc93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
I just want to point out I am not associated with King of the Hammers anymore so I am not the guy that makes the choices over there, but I do love the race, and hope it keeps going for a long time. As the President of the International Side X Side Association I agree that SXS recreation, and racing is growing like crazy, and I want to do all I can to increase opportunities like KOH.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 143821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Knoll View Post
I just want to point out I am not associated with King of the Hammers anymore so I am not the guy that makes the choices over there, but I do love the race, and hope it keeps going for a long time. As the President of the International Side X Side Association I agree that SXS recreation, and racing is growing like crazy, and I want to do all I can to increase opportunities like KOH.
Yeah, wondered when you left there if the UTV race would continue. But we are hoping you might still have some sway or they might catch that we all want it to continue...

Are the ISA Racing Regs almost ready? Got some local promoters starting to get interested in holding SXS races around here.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl89 View Post
Yeah, wondered when you left there if the UTV race would continue. But we are hoping you might still have some sway or they might catch that we all want it to continue...

Are the ISA Racing Regs almost ready? Got some local promoters starting to get interested in holding SXS races around here.
Finished them today actually, they should be on the web site soon. I already sent them to the web developer. There is a complete set on there now, but I found some small problems we had to fix. ( I would suggest against printing the version that is on there.) The newest set allows you to download individual classes to save on printing. ISXSA.com
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
I have raced all three years and love the concept. It is a great way to highlight what UTVs are capable of.

The tough part of doing a UTV race during KOH week is we are nothing but a side show to what is going on with the main KOH event.

At the end of the UTV race, many racers that finished were kind of wondering what the heck was going on. "Is this where we are supposed to be?" was asked over and over. Maybe not by the top two guys, but everyone else that took a bit longer.

Other thing is to possibly make it more spectator friendly. Could a UTV make it down Backdoor or something else close to camp?

I think it is a viable race that will grow to more than 18 this year if decided upon soon.

I know the race would not have heppened last year without Reid's involvement. Who will step up this year?

Might want to post this over on UTVUnderground.com as well.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3196
I may be interested. Still havent rock crawled in my junk, but I have a 3 year history of DNF'ing KOH to keep alive!!

Rob
UTV #1999

MJ Motorsports
yield2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 32975
I entered last year in my Teryx and broke a belt after 9 miles so DNF. Plan on being there again this year with a RZR and the Teryx. Working on them both right now so they will be ready.
redcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 77741
I dream of someday racing KOH, the reality is I will never beable to afford a full pimped out KOH rig, and support team needed to be a competitive racer in the unlimited buggy class. I hope to see the SXS race format continue to mature because this is a class where a competitive machine can be produced for a fraction the cost of a buggy. someday i hope to build a SXS with the plan to race KOH. I would bet there are a number of folks/dreamers out there who feel the same
Old 10-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 140746
If I had one, yeah.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowdog View Post
I have raced all three years and love the concept. It is a great way to highlight what UTVs are capable of.

The tough part of doing a UTV race during KOH week is we are nothing but a side show to what is going on with the main KOH event.

At the end of the UTV race, many racers that finished were kind of wondering what the heck was going on. "Is this where we are supposed to be?" was asked over and over. Maybe not by the top two guys, but everyone else that took a bit longer.

Other thing is to possibly make it more spectator friendly. Could a UTV make it down Backdoor or something else close to camp?

I think it is a viable race that will grow to more than 18 this year if decided upon soon.

I know the race would not have heppened last year without Reid's involvement. Who will step up this year?

Might want to post this over on UTVUnderground.com as well.

You could make them go up Back door. Yeah they would have to winch, but it would be great spectating and a show of team work.

Blake
HeyBeerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 94515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyBeerMan View Post
You could make them go up Back door. Yeah they would have to winch, but it would be great spectating and a show of team work.

Blake
Huh? A co driver requesting to go up Back door on a winch?? What you been smokin? LOL

Visit our online store: [url]https://jaggedx.com/catalog/[/url]
Jaggedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 94515
We have raced the KOH UTV race all three years and I will say that I think the race has gotten better each year. The race gets a great deal of exposure for the UTV community. If you are thinking about racing it I can say you won't be dissapointed. The entire KOH experience is well worth the entry fee for the UTV race.

I feel that for the last three years you could be competitive with a fairly stock vehicle with only the safety mods. We won last year with pone stock RZR XP. You could do the safety mods for not much more than $1000. Smart driving is key here.

Promote the hell out of this race and they will come!

BS JX

Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 94515
I was at the Off- Road Expo this weekend and Dave Cole made an anouncement that the UTV race is on and Pit Bull Tires is also on-board. So build you junk boy & girls. It also looks like they will be adopting the ISA rules platform. They are talking about 5 classes. I do not think that this race can support multiple classes at this point but that is what they are talking about.
We will probably not race in a class with just 2 or 3 cars so we will have to see how this multiple class thing pans out. I think that KOH was born and bred on being a wide open class type of racing and I like that philosophy.

Either way we are hoping to defend the Pit Bull Tires Tropy and keep it here at our shop.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedx View Post
I was at the Off- Road Expo this weekend and Dave Cole made an anouncement that the UTV race is on and Pit Bull Tires is also on-board. So build you junk boy & girls. It also looks like they will be adopting the ISA rules platform. They are talking about 5 classes. I do not think that this race can support multiple classes at this point but that is what they are talking about.
We will probably not race in a class with just 2 or 3 cars so we will have to see how this multiple class thing pans out. I think that KOH was born and bred on being a wide open class type of racing and I like that philosophy.

Either way we are hoping to defend the Pit Bull Tires Tropy and keep it here at our shop.
You will all be racing at the same time, so its just a chance for more people to be able to feel like they have a chance to win something. Over all win is where it will be at IMHO. The Trophy will go to the Overall winner at any rate.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25686
Barco Motorsports has planned all along to bring both our XP900s to the race and we are very glad to see it is a go.

When will registration open and does anyone know how notification will be sent out?
Thank you to all our 2012 partners. Barco Pump, Wide Open Design, Jimmy's 4x4, Jim's Garage, PSC, Advance Adapters, PCI, Branik Motorsports, Spidertrax, NC Serve, TKES, RickyB Photography, Downsouth Motorsports and BFGoodrich.
crawlin85cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 363
The UTV race needs a page in the Program with some basics like a course map, a schedule of UTV events, and a list of who's racing. I've tried to watch the UTV race the last few years, but have never been successful as there is very minimal information when you are out on the lake bed w/ no internet.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 143821
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchucker View Post
The UTV race needs a page in the Program with some basics like a course map, a schedule of UTV events, and a list of who's racing. I've tried to watch the UTV race the last few years, but have never been successful as there is very minimal information when you are out on the lake bed w/ no internet.
I think that is a great idea. Anyone here have the connection with Ultra 4 to get them to consider it...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 5301
They are way more capable then people give them credit. 3 Years ago I took my rzr s down clawhammer and wrecking ball both. The waterfall was scary but fun and I did not break anything. I think the rocks section has to be much harder to challenge the team aspect more of the race. Backdoor going down would be easy to most sxs. Actually last year I followed Jason Scherer up resolution while we were out there testing one weekend. Since they are much more narrow you can get them to go a lot better than some Ultra 4 cars. I don't think I have the time to race and that is why I have not yet because just have to many other commitments usually for the main race. Would love to see it a completely different weekend and even different locations as a series and you might get more involvement but taking back seat to KOH makes it hard to fit everything in.
ROK RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Mine!

Member # 63664
The only thing really holding me back from racing would be the ~2500 mile drive. It would be nice if there was regional races to try out first. If I did ok at the "local" one I would be a lot more inclined to make the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmh View Post
You won't find a larger gathering of generous and caring mouth breathing, ego smashing, mother railing fucktards anywhere on the 'net.
rfr002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rope Dude

Member # 122622
If I can get my rhino Sold, I am considering getting a xp 900 and getting it prepped.
Dunno who would drive it yet.
Office- 785 856 1844 Cell-580 504 1405

Need WINCH Rope? pirate4x4 is the secret code in the store for free shipping.

Have you seen APE EATER RACING's site
Custom Splice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedx View Post
It also looks like they will be adopting the ISA rules platform. They are talking about 5 classes. I do not think that this race can support multiple classes at this point but that is what they are talking about.
I completely agree Bill. The race cannot support that many classes even with one overall winner.

The only series that I would even think about anything close to that many classes would be WORCS. And you are looking at close to 50 entries.

Keep the rules as they have been and adjust slightly if necessary for new machines or any additional safety items.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowdog View Post
I completely agree Bill. The race cannot support that many classes even with one overall winner.

The only series that I would even think about anything close to that many classes would be WORCS. And you are looking at close to 50 entries.

Keep the rules as they have been and adjust slightly if necessary for new machines or any additional safety items.
Its not my call, but is the issue with giving out more trophy's? I have not seen anything in regards to the purse being discussed. I think just the opposite it will bring more people into the game. A $5000 purse the last couple years only resulted in 18 entries. The money obviously is not a big enough attraction, so something else needs to be tried.

I can see this from the side of Bill and Jon as well they have a shot at winning and they want to see the size of the purse stay in place and not get diluted by classes.

So its a catch 22, and I am sure Mike Lasher is open to ideas, help, and offers of more money for the purse. With more classes come more opportunity for sponsors to get involved, maybe we all should see what we can do to help with that. Kawasaki, and Pitbull have been carrying this event on there own long enough. SXS Performance.com has jumped in, who else will step up and support this race is the question we should be asking, not debating about there being too many classes and opportunities for people to get involved at a level that fits there car.

My goal last year was 20 cars, I failed, its time for some new ideas, and I support trying them.