side by side help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Send a message via AIM to 1TFROT
side by side help

need some info/help from those in the know.....

I'm interested in getting a 4 seater side by side and really don't know the first thing about them. it has to be a 4 seater so all 4 of us can go together if we choose to and it has to have enough power that it can get around easily at places like Silver Lake sand dunes. the other big catch is that I need to be able to fit it sideways on my trailer. seems that the rzr4s are too long for what I want, but maybe the kaw teryx looks like it might fit. I'm fairly certain my rub rails on the trailer are right at 93" (might be more, will have to measure for sure)

am I out of luck or is there a 4 seater that will fit? if so, what brands are worth looking at and what to stay away from?

thanks

something like this looks like it would work, but couldn't find WB specs on it
M&M Offroad triple threat chassis #27

Last edited by 1TFROT; 03-16-2012 at 09:07 AM.
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33536
4 seater side by side and less than 102" overall (max legal) width are mutually exclusive.

Just look at the numbers, they are way off.. Unless you do something like the seat above in a bed for a child, then it may work but a real four seater like a RZR4 or Ranger Crew is going to be way too long to go sideways.
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Exactly.

A RZR XP 900 2 seater is legally over the limit, when you take in spare tires on the back, bumpers on the front.

Unless what is going in the back is a LITTLE kid..like 2 years old...I think putting a seat up high in the rear past the rear axle point isn't such a great idea. Also severely limits the market you can resell it to.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present
Click Here for a calendar of Rubicon Events
Raceline Wheels and Falken Tires!! Thanks guys for sponsoring the Tacos at this Years Event!!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14570
Just to clarify, the pic you posted is a 2 seat Teryx with an aftermarket seat and cage....there are kits like that for most 2 seaters, and they work fairly well if its small people sitting in the back. For adult size backseats, the RZR4 , and Teryx4 are similar lengths...
Hickeyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
Absolutely no reason to buy or build a four-seater out of a two-seat UTV now that the market has delivered on solid four-seat factory machines like the RZR 4, RZR XP 4 and the Teryx4. Two seat conversions are cramped, do not handle well and are not nearly as safe as a factory four-seater. Although none of these will fit sideways on a trailer, I would look at a new trailer over buying a converted two-seater....

The currently available four-seat sport UTVs are really different animals. Here are a few specs for you:
Dimentions:
RZR 4 - 130 in. long, 60.5 in. wide and wheelbase is 103.0 in.
RZR XP 4 - 134.4 in. long, 64 in. wide and wheelbase is 107.4 in.
Teryx4 - 125.2 in. long, 62.0 in. wide and wheelbase is 86.1 in.

They are all twin-cylinder: RZR 4 is 760cc, RZR XP 4 is 875cc and Teryx4 is 749cc. The RZR XP 4 has the most horsepower and acheives a higher MPH. The Teryx4 has a ton of torque and the clutch works very well for going slow in the rocks.

The RZR XP 4 has the most wheel travel and best shocks out of the box for going fast in the dunes and desert.

The Teryx4 has more room in the rear seat, a more upright seating position and a MUCH shorter wheelbase which makes it more suitable for tight trails and rock crawling.

RZR 4 & RZR XP 4 have a much lower seat position so you feel more sporty and have a lower center of gravity.

The XP 4 retails for more than $4k over the Teryx4. But if you are going to add long travel to the T4, it is about a wash. I think you can still get a Teryx4 through Costco to save even more.

People ask me all the time which one to get, and it isn't a simple answer. Really have to look at your terrain and driving style.

More: UTV Comparision
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowdog View Post
Absolutely no reason to buy or build a four-seater out of a two-seat UTV now that the market has delivered on solid four-seat factory machines like the RZR 4, RZR XP 4 and the Teryx4. Two seat conversions are cramped, do not handle well and are not nearly as safe as a factory four-seater. Although none of these will fit sideways on a trailer, I would look at a new trailer over buying a converted two-seater....

The currently available four-seat sport UTVs are really different animals. Here are a few specs for you:
Dimentions:
RZR 4 - 130 in. long, 60.5 in. wide and wheelbase is 103.0 in.
RZR XP 4 - 134.4 in. long, 64 in. wide and wheelbase is 107.4 in.
Teryx4 - 125.2 in. long, 62.0 in. wide and wheelbase is 86.1 in.

They are all twin-cylinder: RZR 4 is 760cc, RZR XP 4 is 875cc and Teryx4 is 749cc. The RZR XP 4 has the most horsepower and acheives a higher MPH. The Teryx4 has a ton of torque and the clutch works very well for going slow in the rocks.

The RZR XP 4 has the most wheel travel and best shocks out of the box for going fast in the dunes and desert.

The Teryx4 has more room in the rear seat, a more upright seating position and a MUCH shorter wheelbase which makes it more suitable for tight trails and rock crawling.

RZR 4 & RZR XP 4 have a much lower seat position so you feel more sporty and have a lower center of gravity.

The XP 4 retails for more than $4k over the Teryx4. But if you are going to add long travel to the T4, it is about a wash. I think you can still get a Teryx4 through Costco to save even more.

People ask me all the time which one to get, and it isn't a simple answer. Really have to look at your terrain and driving style.

More: UTV Comparision

really appreciate all that info, that helps. unfortunately a different trailer is NOT an option since I have a custom setup on my GN (camper built onto it).

it was worth a try, but guess I'll have to take a pass until we decide to go bigger.

thanks again

Last edited by 1TFROT; 03-18-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TFROT View Post
really appreciate all that info, that helps. unfortunately a different trailer is NOT an option since I have a custom setup on my GN (camper built onto it).

it was worth a try, but guess I'll have to take a pass until we decide to go bigger.

thanks again
How about two 2-seaters then!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 80873
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TFROT View Post

thanks again
your in the same boat as me right now. im limited to what i can pull behind my rv. i didnt realize how long those 4 seaters were til i started seriously looking, was hoping i could haul them sideways
bushauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 178499
you MAY be able to haul a standard 2 seat rzr sideways legally but if you do it will be the only one. I have never measured one but I know my 2 seat teryx is too wide to haul sideways legally and a rhino will be the same
fordtrucknut77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
I have hauled a RZR S, RZR XP and Teryx sideways. My Teryx is bobbed and sits at 108" and so does the XP. The RZR S was 102" so that was the only legal sideways haul.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11985
the rub rails on my trailer are right at 96" (pretty sure) and I'd prefer anything to not stick outside of them anyway (the camper is just slightly inside of the rails)

might have to consider the 2 seater and build seats into the rear like the pic I posted. might be the only option for now. not really looking for something to hit hardcore speeds or race, just something for the wife and kid to have fun in when I have our other child with me in the s10 (we only wheel as a family at the dunes, the rockcrawling trips are without them usually)

guess I didn't expect them to be so long

Last edited by 1TFROT; 03-18-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
96"? Wow. I think you're going to have to just forget the whole SxS thing...your parameters aren't realistic for that genre.

Just to give you an idea....a Polaris ATV for 2, is just shy of 94". That's only 1" clearance front and back. Put a bumper in the front and bumper in the back....and you're over 96" for an ATV!
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present
Click Here for a calendar of Rubicon Events
Raceline Wheels and Falken Tires!! Thanks guys for sponsoring the Tacos at this Years Event!!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 117744
1TFROT,

I had a trailer that was 98" wide. We hauled my RZR-S sideways on it behind my dad's YJ. It worked awesome to be honest. I had a front bumper on it, but nothing on the back. It did hang over a little off the side of the trailer, but not much. The tires hung off either side at their widest point, but the available contact patch of the tire was in complete contact with the trailer on each end with room to spare. It worked slick.

I have a RZR-4 now, and I love it, but I will say it was badass to roll into the badlands with a quad sideways, a mild YJ, and a RZR-S sideways all on a 24' trailer!!! Made it look pretty serious. Oh well haha.

Good luck on your situation. I don't like the backseat idea on a 2 seat utv, but it depends on the application. Any chance to just stretch the trailer? Maybe stretch it and add an axle?
EarthResin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 186968
How about?

You don't say what you are towing with. If it's a pickup you might be able to fit a sxs in the bed with the tailgate dow (and reinforced).

You can say 'STOP' or 'ALTO' or use any other word you think will work, but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language.
scotty1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvobsession View Post
96"? Wow. I think you're going to have to just forget the whole SxS thing...your parameters aren't realistic for that genre.

Just to give you an idea....a Polaris ATV for 2, is just shy of 94". That's only 1" clearance front and back. Put a bumper in the front and bumper in the back....and you're over 96" for an ATV!
yeah, I'm gonna have to get out there and measure again (going from memory and it's not stored at home).

I could be way off OR not be able to do what I want. appreciate the help though

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1111 View Post
You don't say what you are towing with. If it's a pickup you might be able to fit a sxs in the bed with the tailgate dow (and reinforced).
GN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthResin View Post
1TFROT,

I had a trailer that was 98" wide. We hauled my RZR-S sideways on it behind my dad's YJ. It worked awesome to be honest. I had a front bumper on it, but nothing on the back. It did hang over a little off the side of the trailer, but not much. The tires hung off either side at their widest point, but the available contact patch of the tire was in complete contact with the trailer on each end with room to spare. It worked slick.

I have a RZR-4 now, and I love it, but I will say it was badass to roll into the badlands with a quad sideways, a mild YJ, and a RZR-S sideways all on a 24' trailer!!! Made it look pretty serious. Oh well haha.

Good luck on your situation. I don't like the backseat idea on a 2 seat utv, but it depends on the application. Any chance to just stretch the trailer? Maybe stretch it and add an axle?
thanks for the info. adding the extra length/axle was an idea, but I think that'll put me a decent amount over being legal after the extra weight AND adding the utv. it's just a SRW and I'm not too far off from the upper limit of what it states legally.

Last edited by 1TFROT; 03-20-2012 at 08:42 AM.