Home built UTV sized mud buggy ? ideas!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 412090
Home built UTV sized mud buggy ? ideas!!!

First thread New User. We are about to design and build and sell a competitor to the razor teryx can am conglomeration.

Our intitial plan is to use a honda civic motor like the guy did for his daughter on here but maybe change it up suspension and frame wise. We have access to a bounty of 2x3x11ga steel tubing.

The debate amongst us is independent suspension or solid axle. We want to be small enough to legally ride on the same trails utvs can ride on so roughly 110'' long.

I have been a welder most of my life and in my past life I was certified mechanic and I am a good reverse fabricator.

We need pictures, best small axles, independent suspensions, best ways to jack shaft and overall cheapest way to build one with a price point double what we put into the materials. We want easy to source parts that are new or can be rebuilt to new cheaply.
First build will be out of junkyard parts that we refurbish. With the rectangle tubing as the frame, simple frame component assembly (assembly Line??)

We have ballparked 7500 for materials and 15k for sale after assembly powdercoating and testing : )
SVVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 412090
What are the dimensions of a 1.6l honda engine/transaxle? Anyone know. I cant find any concrete evidence short of actually measuring one myself which I dont have right. I just need oversize measurements so I can do a mock up of my frame.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 412090
Spent better part of the day crawling through junk yard. Found a miata with IRS that is 56'' hub to hub. I love the small size but the gearing is 3.63:1 in that and the honda motor puts down 4.05:1. I cant find a diff to match that ratio or a new ring and pinion to lower the ratio on the miata pumpkin. I am looking for a top speed of 55-65.

My brother thinks we should use some ford 8.8's on independent suspensions but I have to worry about weight and they end up being 6' wide after we take the whole unit out. This thing is starting to look like it will weigh a megaton so I need to save weight where I can and keep it small enough to ride on atv trails with two seats.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 413825
i actually am about to do the same. im using a 99 mazda protege 1.8 5 speed. the mazda has 300000 on it and its a fast little motor, plus it has squirters that spray down the pistons. keep it small, keep it light, and forget about all the details. just build it. look if you want you can run cutter brakes on the front and rear driveshaft instead of welding the spiders. front and rear independent or trail arms in the rear. toyota is the strong way to go but tracker or chevy parts are cheap also and can be bought at any store. and locking hubs is nice also and needed if you want to drive on roads. im in columbus oh where are you.

Last edited by mudbug216; 01-15-2014 at 02:17 PM.
mudbug216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 222301
I would really go for something different to the typically built UTV, you won't compete with them anyway. I would love to buy a real trail rig with solid axles (your only shooting for ~50mph car), and 5 link it, but truly make it the size of a UTV. It would have to be 65" or less track width to be ATV/UTV trail legal. I'd go for ~90" wheelbase.

A Samarai driveline would hold up to the kind of power you're thinking, and it has a divorced transfer case which is ideal, and TON of aftermarket parts/upgrades. Cheap approach. Basically, just build a mini 'jeep' like rig, 33-35" tires, and put a cool fiberglass body on it. I'd buy this!
Benihana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 4979
Does anyone make fiberglass bodies for Sammy's? Off to Google I go.
mrstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 189138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstang01 View Post
Does anyone make fiberglass bodies for Sammy's? Off to Google I go.
Here you go:

WEISS DESIGN - Kunststofftechnik

They've been doing that for years!
ilten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Oilfield Trash

Member # 64526
I think ur on the right track with the independent suspension for a mud machine of that size. I have been rolling this idea around myself lately also with the honda civic motor or similar. Use a sami diff or similar type dropout third with a fabricated housing to make it a centered design like the typical UTV diff. Good halfshafts with RCV dirty 30 toyota cv's. and possibly toyota hubs. Plenty of power and drivetrain to hold a 36-38" superior traction tire with a beefy set of arched high clearance arms and non of the mainstream UTV's could touch u in the typical mud setups!!
Red Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 168725
Not really a mudder but an awesome build.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuk...d-tracker.html
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote