XP4 in the rocks? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 55560
XP4 in the rocks?

Need a 4 seater and I'm tempted to get a Teryx4 and long travel it since they seem to be the best in the rocks but we also go to glamis a lot and I'd like to be able to do the big dunes and make it up Oldsmobile hill. Anyone here use the XP4 in the rocks.

Trails I want it to do would be rubicon, dusy, Johnson valley, and Moab.

The older non x3 Maverick Max Turbos are heavily discounted right now as well.

What say Pirate? Most utv forums, besides the Polaris one, bring the suck.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787

I have taken a XP4 1000 on the Rubicon (see Rubicon Camping Trip) and have also built several long travel Teryx including a 2012 Teryx4.

I found the Teryx4 to be very good in the rocks, but not quite so good in the dunes. I found the XP4 1000 to have a bit too long of a wheelbase for the Rubicon (high center, turning radius), but it does well in the dunes.

I'd weigh what is more important to you and go with that. If you go with a XP4, make sure to upgrade the skid plate before hitting the rocks. Here is how mine was setup - XP4 1000 buildup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Crowdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 55560
Your teryx4 was the reason I started looking at them. Was your engine and clutching stock? Vforce John claims his clutch, exhaust, and computer mods make a huge difference. I guess I'm wondering if it's enough for the dunes.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Your teryx4 was the reason I started looking at them. Was your engine and clutching stock? Vforce John claims his clutch, exhaust, and computer mods make a huge difference. I guess I'm wondering if it's enough for the dunes.
Stock engine and clutch. I'd leave it stock too. The Teryx is not a hard core dune machine. If you just want to cruise, you're OK, but it is hard to keep up on fast dune rides.

|
|
Old 05-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Love Jon as the voice of reason. All these machines have their niche....and what Jon says is exactly what I've seen. You just have to decide what you want to do more and leverage that.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!

Last edited by atvobsession; 05-16-2017 at 10:21 AM.
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 88939
I run a long travel teryx. I do a lot in the Oregon dunes also. Sure I cant make the big hill climbs, but it will keep up with most in the trails and do what I need to do.

I spend most of my time in the woods, mud, and rocks. I specifically bought my teryx4 for this. I can beat the crap out of my Teryx and it takes it.

I did long travel, radios, skids, and a winch. That's it. My last teryx was a 2 seater with the same set up. Keep it stock and it will last forever.

Edited for pic

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. Theodore Roossevelt

Last edited by Rekless_Off_Road; 05-18-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Rekless_Off_Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14850
Ive had a Teryx in the past with long travel, I have a XP4 currently.
I take all through Moab except Pritchet.
Its a beast with 31" tires and full skids.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvobsession View Post
Love Jon as the voice of reason. All these machines have their niche....and what Jon says is exactly what I've seen. You just have to decide what you want to do more and leverage that.

|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.