Ultimate nOOb Question, Learn Me On This Machines - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 5132
Ultimate nOOb Question, Learn Me On This Machines

I honestly don't have the time to be researching this issue at this moment in time, but the powers that be at my place of employment have expressed interest in buying a couple side by side machines over a couple of ATVs.

Here are the considerations we have:

-Well built, these things are going to be used by law enforcement and well, we're kind of hard on equipment.

-Off road capability. Since this is the middle of nowhere, there will come a time that they will have to be taken off the road and into pastures and climb through some gullies. Looked at a couple of machines yesterday on the 'Net, there was a Husky model that looked pretty apetizing.

-Payload. That same Husky had a pretty decent payload, with a power tilt bed. When I compared it to a Grizzly, the Husky was winning our hearts and minds. Are the Husky machines worth it?

-Gas or diesel? Diesel would be great since if we had to take them out for extended operations, all the farmers have some diesel sitting around. On the flip side though, how loud are they? These machines would also be tasked to transporting the SWAT team if they were needed.

That's about all I can think of now. Please don't answer with some lame "get a XXXXXXXX and forget about it" response. I'll personally recommend you to counseling from ScottFJ40. In short, we want something built like a brick shithouse, 4wd or AWD, can haul some weight around, and can hold it's own in the boonies without having to dump another five grand into suspension.
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 22104
I would suggest that you stick with one of the big names. If you gotta have diesel, Kubota makes one but it is slow and heavy.

Check out the 2008 Polaris 6 seat Ranger. Perfect for what you need and Polaris has a Govt purchase program.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 63878
rhino

speedy and tough

Last edited by wheelchairman; 08-02-2007 at 07:02 PM.
wheelchairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 22104
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
rhino

speedy and tough

They want to work and haul. Normally I would recommend the Rhino, but in this case, I would go more utility. Between the towing ability, hauling and toughness, I would stay away from the work/play models.

My choices would be:

Ranger -fast, hard working, heavy hauling.
Mule- dependable but older design and lower, slower, but cheaper
Kubota- Diesel, heavy slow but pulling power and diesel.

Call the local dealers and ask them to drop one off for you guys for a day.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36317
Send a message via AIM to Numidian
John Deere is making one too now... I saw that at the local Farm Fair...might wanna look into that...

You guys will probably be best served by one made by a tractor manufacturer I'd think...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4830
I would suggest the Polaris Ranger XP. Or the new Ranger XP crew cab they are coming out with. Very tough, good payload, great offroad, OK onroad. 3 across front seating or 6 passengers with the crewcab. They have lots of room to mount all of the stuff I'm sure you wil be looking to carry with you.
HeyBeerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nuff Said

Member # 81622
I have owned and used the following sxs for ranch work:

polaris six wheeler: good stuff at the time but would not buy one now

polaris ranger: smooth, fast, hauls good...trees and rocks hard on the plastic

John deere gator: did not like as much...rough,slow, high centered alot... may be a lemon but had trouble starting on occassion

mule one seater gas: slow compared to ranger, not as smooth as ranger.....but lasted longer than any of the others

currently have a 2 seater diesel mule (trans): back seat folds down and bed becomes larger, diesel a little noisey, 27 mph top speed, added a two inch lift and larger tires, looks old school but is a work horse....my favorite so far for work!

Now for play.....just purchased a RZR a week ago.....this thing is just fun, fast, handles good, rides good, looks good....I like it
TexasDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53586
If you are in snow or mud country and need to haul people or equipment, check these out.

http://www.hydrotraxx.net/

I have a 6x6 (not a HydroTraxx), and it is nearly unstoppable.
BudTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 94515
It sounds like the Ranger Crew would be your best bet but I would not rule out a Rhino depending on how much time you will spend in the vehicle. The Rhino is more comfortable on long rides than a ranger. top speed is close (40 for the Rhino and a bout 44 for the Xp ranger) the Ranger has a larger bed and more towing ability. Both ofer many mfg add on equipment including racks cab enclosures lights ect. You could call us at jagged X if you need more info on specific models or if you end up needing any custom equipment for your specific applications.

BS JX
www.jaggedx.com
Jaggedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 22104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedx View Post
It sounds like the Ranger Crew would be your best bet but I would not rule out a Rhino depending on how much time you will spend in the vehicle. The Rhino is more comfortable on long rides than a ranger. top speed is close (40 for the Rhino and a bout 44 for the Xp ranger) the Ranger has a larger bed and more towing ability. Both ofer many mfg add on equipment including racks cab enclosures lights ect. You could call us at jagged X if you need more info on specific models or if you end up needing any custom equipment for your specific applications.

BS JX
www.jaggedx.com
Good job on making the front page of the Polaris Dealer website and nice press release. Congrats.