UTV/side by side custom chassis plans - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 119512
UTV/side by side custom chassis plans

Been eye ballin a rhino for a while, and notice a build up of one with a R1 drive train and thought about how much fun it would be.
To go one further, I have a Hayabusa drive train I've been hanging on to for a chopper, or buggy build, however a side x side would be fun

So decision is to build a side x side from scratch, or buy a salvage side x side and modify it.

anyone have any ideas where to find plans for a side by side?
Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 119512
If I were to build one, and record everything, would there be interest from others to purchase plans?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 75285
I think building a SxS would be a good idea. If you built it yourself using a streetbike motor, you could come out with a machine that is cheaper than a new SxS and something that will whip the ass of anything SxS on the market currently.

I had an idea to build a single seat RZR using a CBR1000RR motor mated to a Quaife reversing gearbox, then mated to a Suzuki Samurai Transfer case. What I planned on doing was a home fab chassis using the RZR brakes/hubs/a-arms/gorilla axles mated to my chassis. I was also planning on taking two Suzuki rear Axles and cutting them down for the diffs. I had priced everything out to be approx. 7-8K from none-to-done. This figure was based on factory new OEM parts. The drivetrain would be darn near bulletproof and I believe still light enough to not make the hubs/etc. too much of a weak link.

Funny you mentioned this, I was about to post up on the RZR forum for chassis measurements. I have a complete 08' CBR1000RR motor w/329 mi. sitting in my garage just waiting to be put into something.

Last edited by FugginZukin; 10-18-2009 at 11:43 AM.
FugginZukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 119512
I have a 05 bussa drive train, and harness... just needs a cage to go around it.
debating on speed, like sinister sand sports, or a crawler style buggy

a mini crawler would be cool... but so is doing 100+ mph lol
Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
Send a message via ICQ to Shoope1 Send a message via AIM to Shoope1 Send a message via Yahoo to Shoope1
would you run the drivetrain like the traditional RZR's are or would you do this like a normal front engine buggy is?
Shoope1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
Send a message via ICQ to Shoope1 Send a message via AIM to Shoope1 Send a message via Yahoo to Shoope1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FugginZukin View Post
I think building a SxS would be a good idea. If you built it yourself using a streetbike motor, you could come out with a machine that is cheaper than a new SxS and something that will whip the ass of anything SxS on the market currently.

I had an idea to build a single seat RZR using a CBR1000RR motor mated to a Quaife reversing gearbox, then mated to a Suzuki Samurai Transfer case. What I planned on doing was a home fab chassis using the RZR brakes/hubs/a-arms/gorilla axles mated to my chassis. I was also planning on taking two Suzuki rear Axles and cutting them down for the diffs. I had priced everything out to be approx. 7-8K from none-to-done. This figure was based on factory new OEM parts. The drivetrain would be darn near bulletproof and I believe still light enough to not make the hubs/etc. too much of a weak link.

Funny you mentioned this, I was about to post up on the RZR forum for chassis measurements. I have a complete 08' CBR1000RR motor w/329 mi. sitting in my garage just waiting to be put into something.

with the two wheel drive of the suzuki case wouldn you be able to do wheelies with that much power. Talking about hill climbs!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 135736
Yoshi at sinister sand sports builds that baddest mc rails out there. I do not really understand why people are putting r1 and busa engines in rhinos and rzrs. Ya its cool but I would much rather build a long travel 2 seat buggy that has way better suspension and everything would be built to handle that kind of power.
COPPERHEAD42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPPERHEAD42 View Post
Yoshi at sinister sand sports builds that baddest mc rails out there. I do not really understand why people are putting r1 and busa engines in rhinos and rzrs. Ya its cool but I would much rather build a long travel 2 seat buggy that has way better suspension and everything would be built to handle that kind of power.
True. But the one he is building is a 2 wheel drive.
How would you crawl?
Or would you even need to?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 75285
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPPERHEAD42 View Post
This is kind of what I am talking about. For the price of a new SxS you could build one bad ass mini-buggy if you did the work yourself. I would never buy a SxS just to convert it, nor convert an SxS that I already owned. I ended up putting in an order for one of these yesterday:

Tut, from Tut Tech is a super nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, has a name in the desert racing community, and his build quality is Pro. This is a two seat mini-buggy. A-armed front, trailing armed rear.

Tut Tech Mini-Buggy

He is only charging $800.00 for this chassis in a tack-welded finish (I will finish weld it). That is a smoking deal! Shit, my time is worth $800.00. I am fully capable at building one myself, but at that price, I'll let him do it. It is made from 1 1/2" .095 HREW for the main bars, .120 for the a-arm mounts/motor mounts/etc. Webbing will be .083.

He can build it any way you like, and however big you would like it. I am going with a 90" wheel base, 70" width, and will run a 28-30" tire. It will also be 4wd with haul ass and crawl capabililties. I have no doubt that when I am done, the bang for the buck will be leaps and bounds better than the overpriced POS crap the SxS manufacturers put on the market. (personal opinion)

I'll be putting a build thread in this section in about a month or so after I pick up my chassis from Tut.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
great tech.

What kind of budget do you think you will have on this build?

Last edited by Shoope1; 10-23-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 135736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoope1 View Post
True. But the one he is building is a 2 wheel drive.
How would you crawl?
Or would you even need to?
Most of the rhino's out there that have MC engines are 2 wheel drive only. Im just saying if your going to build something to go fast build a all custom 2 seat rail. The rzr has plenty of power to do both jobs or running decent fast and being able to crawl.

I have built quite a few sandrails and have gotten out of them for the time being while im building my jeep. My buddy just built a turbo busa long travel rail. You can save alot of money with the MC rails because you dont have a trans to worry about and a few other things. I had over 3K in my Bus trans in my last rail. Now if you do a reverse box it can get expensive, I honestly think I can build a MC rail with a R1 engine and coil overs for under 8K. I know it could be done cheaper then that but that would be with paddles and beadlocks in the rear at least. Thats also running suspension seats. If you were really on a tight budget a MC rail could be built cheap. My last rail started with a 10K budget and ended up right around 20K. My jeep now started with a 4K budget and looks like now im spending over 10K on upgrades, Im just not good with budgets
Old 10-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
I hear you on the budgets.
Only thing is I like the 4 wheel drive option around here.
I really like crawling the rocks too. So would that be out in 2 wheel drive.

I bet this would jump and land 100 times better than any rzr.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 135736
I would never give up the 4 wheel drive in the RZR. That is what makes them so great.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 75285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoope1 View Post
great tech.

What kind of budget do you think you will have on this build?
I have a gross estimate of just under 9K from none-to-done for a triple digit speed/slow crawling/two-seat/4 wheel drive/mini buggy.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21750
Quote:
This is kind of what I am talking about. For the price of a new SxS you could build one bad ass mini-buggy if you did the work yourself. I would never buy a SxS just to convert it, nor convert an SxS that I already owned. I ended up putting in an order for one of these yesterday:

Tut, from Tut Tech is a super nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, has a name in the desert racing community, and his build quality is Pro. This is a two seat mini-buggy. A-armed front, trailing armed rear.

Tut Tech Mini-Buggy

He is only charging $800.00 for this chassis in a tack-welded finish (I will finish weld it). That is a smoking deal! Shit, my time is worth $800.00. I am fully capable at building one myself, but at that price, I'll let him do it. It is made from 1 1/2" .095 HREW for the main bars, .120 for the a-arm mounts/motor mounts/etc. Webbing will be .083.

He can build it any way you like, and however big you would like it. I am going with a 90" wheel base, 70" width, and will run a 28-30" tire. It will also be 4wd with haul ass and crawl capabililties. I have no doubt that when I am done, the bang for the buck will be leaps and bounds better than the overpriced POS crap the SxS manufacturers put on the market. (personal opinion)

I'll be putting a build thread in this section in about a month or so after I pick up my chassis from Tut.

What is your proposed driveline/axles?

**ROCKBRAWLERS**
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 75285
OP, sorry for hi-jacking your thread. It this is an issue, let me know and I'll start a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrattle View Post

What is your proposed driveline/axles?
Just got a deal on two 2004 Subaru WRX STi R180 diffs. They are 3.90 ratio with clutch-type lockers. The stub axles will be machined down for Porche 930 drive flanges, which will be welded on and balanced. CV's will be 930's w/chromoly axles. This will be for both front and rear.

For the 4wd (AWD really) I will be using a twin-sticked Suzuki samurai T-case. Reason for the twin stick is the LSD on the diffs are torque sensing. No power to it keeps it open more or less which is better for turning up front, especially while hauling ass. For crawling etc, just put the case in 4wd and the torque alone from the front D-shaft will lock up the front diff.

The Zuk T-case in High has a reduction ratio of 1.5. When combined with the 3.90, I am at 5.85. I need to find a way to get a little deeper gearing since I plan on running a 30-33" tire. One option is to use a Zuk transmission. This option would give me a ton of gear options and would provide the reverse. I could mate a sprocket to the input shaft of the T-case and setup lowering gearing that way and have it chain driven. If using this option, I will have to go for an electric reverse setup, or a Quaife reversing box. Still torn on all of that stuff. Trying to keep it as light as possible; however, according to my calculations, even if I used the Zuk trans the rig would still be close or under 1300 lbs. That's not bad at all.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
were you also tlkin bout using stock rzr suspenion?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 75285
Originally yes. I started looking at components from a strength/cost standpoint and found that building my own will be a better option. Out back will probably be a 3" x 3" trailing arm and A-arms up front. The susp/hubs/etc. will be a little heavier but with much more strength. Since I am also stepping up the tire size, I figured this would be a better way to go.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
That as my point. that tires size probably would break rzr hubs and suspension would be to weak for those speeds.

Last edited by Shoope1; 11-03-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 119512
I agree Yoshi is the man, however I'm looking more toward a 4 wd, truggy style build.
I like the bussa motor because it's small for the out put about 180 hp.
Should with that hp be able to wheel well, and switch to 2 wd and have fun

been swamped at werk, so haven't had much time to think about it... I need to make the time.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 130105
Sounds like a sweet idea Ive been kinda eyeballin some sxs's but cant decide on which route to go between ground clearence an power... If I had teh money a busa engine with Sami axles and Tcase would be fun but I prefer to crawl and hillclimb so straight axle works highspeed though would kinda suck.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 152282
Guess nothing happened with any one on the sxs idea huh
damccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 154834
What do you think about a 4-link rear suspension in something like the RZR (with more power than the rzr), A-arm front. It'll be a production "race/abuse ready" UTV with a dom chassis for between 13-15k?

I'm going to start a new topic now. I dont want to hijack this thread.... you guys know your stuff
10Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Fabrication Royalty

Member # 116406
subscribed
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Metal Fabrication Heaven
BAILEIGH INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9363
Quote:
I have a gross estimate of just under 9K from none-to-done for a triple digit speed/slow crawling/two-seat/4 wheel drive/mini buggy.
Did you ever start building your chassis?