best going snow rig that you can still drive year round - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 89922
Can't believe XJ's aint gettin no love. Seems like a great cheap snow rig. Do a long arm kit and throw some 37's on a 400 dollar set of circle track beadlocks and leave it for winter use only cause its so cheap. Probably put a Exploder 8.8 in the back and 4.88's maybe a 200 dollar Lokka in the front and tack weld the ujoint caps.
Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #52 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
No idea really. The owner of the rzr on tracks I posted the 15-16 season thread went up with the owner of the fifty4runner above. Rzr owner said that the 4runner could break trail on the road better than him, because of old ruts underneath the fresh snow would mess him up. On fresh snow, the rzr would pull away.

Now again, that a 6k+ lb 450 hp 4runner Vs a 900 lb 120hp rzr. Obviously the tracks intended for a vehicle will be bigger and have more surface area. I have a hard time seeing mattracks out doing 54s. They would probably stomp 40-44s on a light ish rig, however I did say realistic budget. How much is a set of mattracks?
I bet that rzr was creeping up on 2000 pounds with the tracks.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I bet that rzr was creeping up on 2000 pounds with the tracks.
Ya, I was definitely off on weight, I didn't realize, until recent, how heavy those sxs's are getting.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #54 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Ya, I was definitely off on weight, I didn't realize, until recent, how heavy those sxs's are getting.
I just sold a Teryx 4. It was 1600 pounds. Another 300 pounds and it is the same as a sof top samurai with half doors and no back seat.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I just sold a Teryx 4. It was 1600 pounds. Another 300 pounds and it is the same as a sof top samurai with half doors and no back seat.
Yep, I had a bunch of buddies buy rhinos when they first came out. I thought I remembered hearing those were around 1000 lbs. I wasn't really thinking about it and figured the rzr would be about the same. Now I can definitely see why they weigh more.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 204888
This is my Jeep in it's winter plumage. The tracks swap off just like changing tires. 20 minutes and you're ready for the road again. I would guess that the budget for those built up snow wheelers is much more than what I have in to my tracks. My TJ is basically stock except for some steering component upgrades.

Last edited by Slinky Pickle; 03-10-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Slinky Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 413097
Location: North of the border in Okanagan B.C., You know, "The Great White North"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehouse View Post
Can't believe XJ's aint gettin no love. Seems like a great cheap snow rig. Do a long arm kit and throw some 37's on a 400 dollar set of circle track beadlocks and leave it for winter use only cause its so cheap. Probably put a Exploder 8.8 in the back and 4.88's maybe a 200 dollar Lokka in the front and tack weld the ujoint caps.
Your right XJ's should be getting more love as they make very good snow wheelers due to their relatively lightweight unit bodies and decent 4.0L engines.

I ran a 92' 2dr. 4.0L, 5-Spd. for a few years with D30HP/D44 factory axles (760x Spicer joints), 2" lift plus 37" MTR's. It was so good in the snow that sometimes if you got out you couldn't get back in it w/o difficulty; because you'd be up to your waist in powder and the Jeep would be sitting higher at only 6" deep in snow.

I really think that XJ's are kinda like the early Toyota trucks (pre-86) when we were in the 90's. Cheap, plentiful and decent wheelers for very little cash outlay.

I suppose if you threw on some 42" Iroks a XJ would be pretty unstoppable in the white stuff, particularly if you could keep the weight down to around 3,000lbs. Should make for a decent daily driver too, with a few upgrades like lockers/gears/RCV's...

Cheers D

Last edited by Dialed-In; 03-22-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Dialed-In is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 711425
I will say the xj is a solid snow wheeling platform but they aren't exactly plentiful as they used to be, nor as cheap as they used to be. They have worked their way close to tj prices locally. I paid half the price for my wj(way to heavy to snow wheel) than the cheapest decent xj I seen in 3 months of shopping.
Scoobynorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 89922
Come to New Mexico or Colorado and get one. Tons of um for sale cheap on Craigslist. I got mine for 2300 bucks

89 4 door
Rustys Long Arm lift
rear 8.8
4:88's
SYE and custom rear shaft
35" newer style MTR's
Circle track beadlocks
1 ton steering

I added
welded rear
Lokka in the front

If you were only using is for snow wheeling you could build it just like mine is done, but with RCV's in the front and some 37's or 40's. Like I said you could buy one built like mine cheap enough to use it only for the snow and it would last forever.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 413097
Location: North of the border in Okanagan B.C., You know, "The Great White North"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynorth View Post
I will say the xj is a solid snow wheeling platform but they aren't exactly plentiful as they used to be, nor as cheap as they used to be. They have worked their way close to tj prices locally. I paid half the price for my wj(way to heavy to snow wheel) than the cheapest decent xj I seen in 3 months of shopping.
Wow that sucks did you widen your search to the south Okanagan because you should still be able to find a decent XJ for under $2,500 easy. Might be a little high in mileage, but those engines run for a long, long time if cared for (and even if not). They still show up for $1,000 occasionally too, while TJ's are selling for $6,000-$10,000+ locally (if you find a running, decent TJ for -$5,000 it usually sells that day).

A buddy recently tried to sell his XJ for 3 months before it sold. His very clean 94 XJ with (265,000km) 4.0L/Auto. 4dr. and 3"Rancho sups., really nice custom HD bumpers, good stereo with worn 33" BFG KO's finally sold for $2,000 and this Jeep looked almost new on the outside as the paint had held up really well and it had no rust to speak of.

But your right there not as plentiful as they once were. Also the factory rear Dana 44's are getting much harder to find too.

TJ's are being advertised for stupid money sometimes, I think it might be because Jk's are the next available open top Jeep and they are still selling for $15,000+ and many times $20,000-$40,000 for nicer/newer models. Leaving only the TJ for an affordable open top Jeep that still has some life in them w/o mega high mileage and/or rust like the YJ/CJ's generally have.

But back to our regularly scheduled snow wheeling discussion, so who has another example of a decent budget build for a wicked all purpose snow wheeler.

I bought a Ford F-150 short box 4x4 5.0L (V-8), 5-speed truck for what I thought was a good deal (XJ pricing, under $2,500) with only 200,000Kms. of one owner documented 20+ oil changes.

So who thinks if I throw a Detroit True-Trac in the front and Detroit No-Spin in the back with some 4.88 gears and shoe horn some 41.5" PBRR on it with a Warn winch, this F-150 wouldn't make for a decent low budget (well under $10,000 total vehicle+ parts and labour) snow wheeler; that's still a decent Hwy. driver.

Please tell me what you think, cause it's popping up in my mind from time to time, as this damn modificationitis disease won't stop me from wanting to modify vehicles...

Cheers D

Last edited by Dialed-In; 03-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 89922
See what I mean?

colo springs >
for sale >
cars & trucks - by owner
post account
reply x prohibited[?] Posted 4 days ago print
◀ prev ▲ next ▶
favorite this post 89 jeep Cherokee XJ rock crawler 4x4 - $3500 hide this posting
1989 jeep cherokee xj
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual
89 jeep Cherokee, lifted rock crawler. Internal roll cage, 12,000 lb winch, rock sliders, spare tire rack, 35" Kevlar tires, Dana axles, Yukon chromoly axle shafts, 4.0L.

This has seen the trails. Can send a pic if interested.

$3500 obo.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #62 (permalink)
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Member # 95025
That is bad ass

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #63 (permalink)
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
This is my Jeep in it's winter plumage. The tracks swap off just like changing tires. 20 minutes and you're ready for the road again. I would guess that the budget for those built up snow wheelers is much more than what I have in to my tracks. My TJ is basically stock except for some steering component upgrades.

I was looking for a set for my '94 Bronco.

Them damn things are expensive !

Awesome, but expensive!

"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:17 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 413097
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
I was looking for a set for my '94 Bronco.

Them damn things are expensive !

Awesome, but expensive!
You bet, I looked up a set of Mattracks for my LJ a couple years back and they were around $20,000CDN.

I believe Slinky Pickle is planning on selling similar units to what he's built (in the pic.'s of his cool snow Jeep) for around the same cost.

It'd be nice if they were only a $1,000 a corner instead (then many of us would be running some) as they probably offer the snow capability off a 46" M/T Claw (give or take) w/o the need for a lift, new gearing, stronger axles/brakes, susp. upgrades ect. and all that tire tubbing too.

Cheers D

Last edited by Dialed-In; 03-25-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:13 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 711425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehouse View Post
See what I mean?

colo springs >
for sale >
cars & trucks - by owner
post account
reply x prohibited[?] Posted 4 days ago print
◀ prev ▲ next ▶
favorite this post 89 jeep Cherokee XJ rock crawler 4x4 - $3500 hide this posting
1989 jeep cherokee xj
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual
89 jeep Cherokee, lifted rock crawler. Internal roll cage, 12,000 lb winch, rock sliders, spare tire rack, 35" Kevlar tires, Dana axles, Yukon chromoly axle shafts, 4.0L.

This has seen the trails. Can send a pic if interested.

$3500 obo.
That's great for you guys in the states. That's close to 5g Canadian before we get it to the border and across.

Dialed-In I was searching province wide. The odd deal did pop up but with my work schedule I missed them. Xj's do exist and can be found. But just not as easy as they used to be and getting harder all the time. The wj's are always for sale and clean. If I roll this one in sandhollow in April I can literally just buy another one the same day I get home and I may even color match. Xj's used to be like that just not anymore.

FYI the real deals on xj's and wj's is in Japan. They are rhd but super clean low mileage units, less than 100k, 60k miles for Americans for not much more than what most are advertised locally. But you Americans can't import them like we can in Canada.
Scoobynorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Attached Images

Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #67 (permalink)
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Young View Post

Now that is badass !

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #68 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1056
I totally dig the Icelandic stuff. It reminds me of SE Washington back when I was a kid. Huge tires, low lift and tire coverage. There was a lot of that back in the day.

Thanks for the pic!
ToyotaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #69 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21622
Doesn't look light but plenty of room for the family.

Anyone know the tire size?
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #70 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1056
That would get it done in certain conditions.
ToyotaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Young View Post
Doesn't look light but plenty of room for the family.

Anyone know the tire size?
Call them
Old 05-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #72 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21622
These tires seem to be common in Russia. Looks like a good snow rig.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.