Newbie wants to build a snow crawler - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 178611
Newbie wants to build a snow crawler

I am going to build a snow crawler. First off, I don't mean chaining up and I don't mean a big heavy rig with tons of horse power ramming snow. For those that know about true snow crawling.... I am talking about a true snow crawler running about 2 psi on big ol tires and creeping around on top. I have done some research and know a few guys with snow crawlers, just looking for a few more opinions on the set up. I am going to start with a 04 TRD Tacoma. 3.4 motor and auto tranny, dual cases and 5:29 gears. I want to run either 37s or 39s. My main questions are suspension setups and lockers. I was going to go with coils and a 3link for a better ride and easier drive and I can stay lower. Flex is not that important on snow vs a rock crawler. Thoughts on this? Secondly will already have an e locker in the back, put an e locker in the front or go ARB? Looking for reliability and dependability. I was going to originally go with Detroits, but I understand that when snow crawling once you have tracks down it is harder to stay in those tracks with lockers engaged, therefore a selectable is a better option? I worry about the electrical and air components holding up without fail in the constant moisture involved with snow wheeling tho. Anything else I'm overlooking? This will not be used much if any on the rocks, mostly just for the snow. thanks in advance!
catdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25632
In my experience, the elockers are less than reliable, but since you already have one, I would use it, some people have good luck. I personally like a selectable rear and auto front (grizzly/Detroit) that way you can unlock the rear on side hills to help with sliding. No idea what you are talking about not being able to stay in your tracks.

Leafs can ride good and would work just fine for what you want, spend some money on good shocks instead of links.

Another idea would be to build up the ifs, the aftermarket has came a long way to support the ifs in those trucks. There would be some advantages also due to the extra clearance you could gain.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Leafs in front, Detroit and 39s. Cheap, easy and reliable. Where do you plan on taking it?

Last edited by Corey Young; 05-15-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18776
Your Tacoma w/stock suspension on 35's w/rear e-locker and a front ARB will do just fine. A buddy that has had everything from stock Cherokee to a one-off Range Rover on portals and 42's is currently running a 3rd gen Runner with 35's/cut fenders, dual ARB's, and it is pretty much point and go in the snow. Granted he has 20+yrs of wheeling experience so he has plenty of experience to rely on

W/the auto dual cases really aren't necessary since you can control wheel speed with the brake pedal.
CA_Snowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Snowtoy View Post
Your Tacoma w/stock suspension on 35's w/rear e-locker and a front ARB will do just fine. A buddy that has had everything from stock Cherokee to a one-off Range Rover on portals and 42's is currently running a 3rd gen Runner with 35's/cut fenders, dual ARB's, and it is pretty much point and go in the snow. Granted he has 20+yrs of wheeling experience so he has plenty of experience to rely on

W/the auto dual cases really aren't necessary since you can control wheel speed with the brake pedal.
I'm going to go ahead and disagree, I had a 4runner on 35s and it was definitely impressive, but in certain conditions, you just can't make up for tire size.

Same with the gearing, a single case and auto make work OK for some conditions, but there are times when you really need deep gearing.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Hate to ruin your plans, but getting a 4 door Tacoma to "float" w/ 37-39s is going to be challenging.

I can barely get my 2800lb jeep to float w/ 37s .... big WIDE tires and as light weight as possible is the "floating" ticket.

You're better off with a 2 door Tacoma, 4 cyl/5speed/doubler, 5.29s, elocker rear/lunch box front, 37-39s on wide wheels, and cutting the crap out of the body to clear it all.....
Old 05-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 135279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
Hate to ruin your plans, but getting a 4 door Tacoma to "float" w/ 37-39s is going to be challenging.

I can barely get my 2800lb jeep to float w/ 37s .... big WIDE tires and as light weight as possible is the "floating" ticket.

You're better off with a 2 door Tacoma, 4 cyl/5speed/doubler, 5.29s, elocker rear/lunch box front, 37-39s on wide wheels, and cutting the crap out of the body to clear it all.....
Then plan on replacing R&P's every other trip.
shrek tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek tits View Post
Then plan on replacing R&P's every other trip.

Low blow fucker!!! Hahahaha

He said snow "crawl" not snow "race and jump"
Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post

The tacoma in the snowbatman videos is sick!

https://youtu.be/jr-pDR20Htk

Last edited by Wilson; 05-17-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21622
Nice

https://youtu.be/6QoK3W5ayhw
Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 128588
Do you know where that's at Corey? Looks like fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21622
Not sure. Carl has been out with that group. I missed out the last few times he went out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.