Tellico about to open ... are ANY trails still closed? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Tellico about to open ... are ANY trails still closed?

I'm sorry, I just dont' have the patience to wade through all the forestry memos reguarding what is opn and closed as of April 1 and everything I see is just links to those.

I'm planning on going to Tellico the second weekend of April ... are ANY traisl going to be closed?

J. J.

www.PATPARTS.com
Like Patooyee's Parts on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/Patooyee
patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 72422
Lower 2, Slickrock, parts of 8 and I think peckerwood are all closed for 1 year.
xjcrawler4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 92338
Yep, you are right. Lower 2, 7, and 9 and parts of 8.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4952
Send a message via AIM to brimy311
Are the closures going to be marked or do you just have to know about it?
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 81214
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimy311 View Post
Are the closures going to be marked or do you just have to know about it?
in FS tradition. I'd count on sections of guardrail across the trail ends. Along with the many yellow road closed signs.
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Man, what's the point in even going then??? Half the trails are still closed and its the best half of the trails!!! I can't even begin to imagine how clogged the half of the trails that are left are going to be the first weekend of April when that big ride is suppossed to happen!!!! If its anything like Dixie Run, with half the trails closed you could realistically go there and wait in line an entire weekend without hitting anything!

J. J.

www.PATPARTS.com

Last edited by patooyee; 03-24-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
Man, what's the point in even going then??? Half the trails are still closed and its the best half of the trails!!! I can't even begin to imagine how clogged the half of the trails that are left are going to be the first weekend of April when that big ride is suppossed to happen!!!! If its anything like Dixie Run, with half the trails closed you could realistically go there and wait in line an entire weekend without hitting anything!

J. J.
This is why the crew I wheel with has decided to not plan a Tellico trip this year, and instead go to Harlan and some other midwest parks.

It sucks, but I'm not trailering 1000 miles to deal with traffic jams and to not be able to wheel some of the best trails in the park. Thanks, USFS.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
Quote:

J. J.
This is exactly what the greenies want. It's like the fat chick with the hot friend. Sometimes you gotta take one for the team. Everyone knows it'll be tough getting around with all the trucks there but this event is more for support than wheelin'. We need to show the community and people involved that we are committed to helping the USFS and SFWDA maintain these trails.

It goes back to my original hypothesis about this whole ordeal. I think less people will show up and with that less traffic. Less traffic equals less sediment disturbed. Less sediment disturbed equals less in the waters and so and so on until their point is proven. We've lost unless someone fucks the fat chick. I'll be there all weekend. I hope you guys are too.

And why we haven't had a fucking online rally for Tellico is beyond me :gary: I've already PMd Lance about it. I guess since it's not in the west or his backyard he couldn't give a shit. Yes, I'm fucking hot about it!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 92984
I was planning a trip the 3rd thru the 7th. I am having second thoughts as well. I feel bad if Tellico needs the support, but I am from Columbus Ohio and it's a 1000 mile round trip. I have never been there before and it doesn't sound fun to me sitting in line on the trails.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 98971
what about night runs? i have done them at callentee and ure. i might not find my way back though. lol
khwrxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Mother F'n Goose

Member # 16809
schoolbus and gaurdrail would be real fun at night, but the way to make it worth it is to camp on the trail somewhere. the ride to and from sucks to much to make it twice in one day.
Originally Posted by Sturgell View Post
No but my post upon further review in the context of this thread is GAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitcj View Post
It works for fatties to hotties...okay so there have been a couple more fatties then hotties...I am person for god sakes. Don't judge me
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-jon View Post
Middel fangers
BigGreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 92338
Half the trails are NOT closed. There are 40 miles of trails out there and only a fraction of the mileage is closed. Schoolbus, Helicopter Pad, etc. will still be a great time. ANYTIME you get an event out there, things back up. Hell, on any given Saturday, things back up. You have to have patience and a desire to drive at one of the best places in the world.

And if you let the trail closures stop you, you are just supporting TU in THEIR mission to close the area.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
angry

Member # 21215
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken View Post
And why we haven't had a fucking online rally for Tellico is beyond me :gary: I've already PMd Lance about it. I guess since it's not in the west or his backyard he couldn't give a shit. Yes, I'm fucking hot about it!

You know, that's the FIRST thought that popped into my head when I heard about the online rally.
redneckengineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 75648
Quote:

Seriously
Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Yes, there are 40+ miles of trail, but I bet there's less than 1 mile worth of obstacles and probably about 40% of that mile's worth is closed and it is the best 40%. It's going to run me $500 - $600 in diesel alone to get there and back not to mention all the other expenses. Not that I'm bitching, but the trip will probably cost me $1000 overall and that's if I don't break anything. While I can afford that much to have fun, I can't just to help make a statement. Maybe if you can afford those kinds of statements you can also afford the hot chicks more often than I can. And if you're getting the hot punanni all the time like that then I don't feel so bad about letting you fuck the fat chick this once. Me, I live in an area where all the chicks are fat ...

That being said, we are going the weekend after ya'll go afterall just because there's no better option.

I willalso say this though ... if winning the fight invovles the kind of expense that you are asking us all to spend, then we've already lost because all the greenies have to do is sit back and write letters. They don't have to trailer their shit 1000 miles paying $4/ga for diesel.

J. J.

www.PATPARTS.com
Old 03-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
It goes back to my original hypothesis about this whole ordeal. I think less people will show up and with that less traffic. Less traffic equals less sediment disturbed. Less sediment disturbed equals less in the waters and so and so on until their point is proven. We've lost unless someone fucks the fat chick. I'll be there all weekend. I hope you guys are too. [/COLOR]
See, that's where you're right and unfortunately its also a catch 22. Less sediment proves that their plan is working. But if we show up and produce more that shows that more regulation is needed. I'm telling you, enjoy the public land while you can because it will all disappear soon. Support your private parks, that's where the future of wheeling is.

J. J.

www.PATPARTS.com
Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Mother F'n Goose

Member # 16809
good point jj but the privete parks are under fire too. the current grim sittuaion makes you rethink a high end long term project. hopefully brc and united can use damage control and fix what we are fixin to lose.
Originally Posted by Sturgell View Post
No but my post upon further review in the context of this thread is GAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitcj View Post
It works for fatties to hotties...okay so there have been a couple more fatties then hotties...I am person for god sakes. Don't judge me
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-jon View Post
Middel fangers
BigGreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 41137
I understand your point and I've been there myself. I didn't have the gas to drive to a river clean-up once. I felt like shit about it but I still try and do my part. I've since designed a few stickers, bought some shirts, attended a Dixie Run and planned for the Spring Fling.

If it is about money then I'd agree and say we're tanked. Legal fees are ridiculous and costly. Everyone can still do something to help though. I hate to say it but I feel like there's only a handful of folks banging the fat chicks while everyone else enjoys what's left. Not everyone wants to play that role but they know if they take one for the team every now and again it all evens out because everyone will do their part. Unfortunately, not everyone is on board and that's what's going to cause the eventual demise of this effort.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 92984
My second thoughts have been deleted. I am in 100%. I don't care about the 1000 mile trip and the increased gas prices. I've always wanted to go and it's the perfect oppertunity. Besides, if it's busy I get to look at all the different rigs and meet new people. I will see you all in a week!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 41137
That's awesome. I'll have a waiting for you at camp.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 6647
Quote:
See, that's where you're right and unfortunately its also a catch 22. Less sediment proves that their plan is working. But if we show up and produce more that shows that more regulation is needed. I'm telling you, enjoy the public land while you can because it will all disappear soon. Support your private parks, that's where the future of wheeling is.

J. J.
There are two private, pay to play, parks in middle TN shut down already due to environmental agencies. Wheeling in the Country (Summertown, TN) and Wooly's Offroad (Mooresville, TN). In this case the state is putting the pressure on the parks. This problem isn't going away, private or public. Not fighting the Tellico closure only makes closing other private and public area that much easier, it sets precedence.

I still say the way to beat this is by proving there sediment studies are crap. Farm land and construction sites put a far higher sediment load into this and every other water system than a few miles of open trails do.
Wes in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 81214
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97tj500ft View Post
My second thoughts have been deleted. I am in 100%. I don't care about the 1000 mile trip and the increased gas prices. I've always wanted to go and it's the perfect oppertunity. Besides, if it's busy I get to look at all the different rigs and meet new people. I will see you all in a week!
I want to thank you for committing to a 1000 mile trip and supporting Tellico. Find me at Crawfords on Sat and I'll have a for you also.

Pat
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 92984
Hey, thanks fellas for the beer offer. I'm happy to help in the cause not to mention wheeling some of the best trails available. I hope to run into you all and have a beer!!!

See you later this week!

Luke
Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes in TN View Post
Not fighting the Tellico closure only makes closing other private and public area that much easier, it sets precedence.
excellent point. if you can shut down the USFS why not a smaller land owner?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 74942
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97tj500ft View Post
thanks for your support. cya there.