3,4,5,6 Paved - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81214
3,4,5,6 Paved

A friend just got back from riding 4 wheelers up there. I haven't been since Spring Fling. anyway he's saying the 3,4, 5, 6 are basically paved with drainage culverts every 50 yards or so. So much so you could drive a Civic down them.
Is this true? I'm glad the water work is ongoing, but....
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 86685
Can anyone verify this?
s10er8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 83329
I just got back today from Tellico. Trail 4 and 5 have been worked on there are water breaks about every 30 yards and most of the obstacles have been filled in. We went up Guardrail and Helicopter pad they haven't changed a whole lot with the exception of more water breaks and sediment traps. Upper 2 is much easier now the rock that stuck out of the bank on the ledge has been pulled out and is now laying at the bottom of the ledge.
redman_30_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 111324
that sucks i havent been this year but i went to windrock and it was the same way i heard the same group attacked them but wernt as lucky since the land is private owned by a multi-million dollar mining corp.
M&M chassis #26 Bernadette. Lsx th400 203/205 60/14b
novacayne75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 83329
There was also a guy in the parking area handing out surveys. He was from the University of TN. According to the letter that is with it, it's for the FS.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1636
What's fain's ford looking like? I hope that doesn't get mowed down to nothing, I've always had fun on it. I know there was always a lot of drainage work around the top of it.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 81214
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
What's fain's ford looking like? I hope that doesn't get mowed down to nothing, I've always had fun on it. I know there was always a lot of drainage work around the top of it.
that was "fixed" last year. You can't play on the wall anymore. There are plans for a 40 ton bridge.
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 114794
Trails are more moderate now. Only real fun trail now is schoolbus. It has gotten more rutted but it offers the best climb out there in my opinion. I can wheel in 2 wd almost everywhere but school, heli, and guardrail. Still fun and worth the drive!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Well in that case I'm glad I have gotten to spend as much time down there as I have because it doesn't sound like it's worth the 860 mile trip from NJ anymore.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 20092
Quote:
Well in that case I'm glad I have gotten to spend as much time down there as I have because it doesn't sound like it's worth the 860 mile trip from NJ anymore.

and that's exactly what the FS needs to know.

They are costing the town $$

I know I won't be back and I let them know it.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 92338
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
and that's exactly what the FS needs to know.

They are costing the town $$

I know I won't be back and I let them know it.
Well, then, TU and SELC and the FS (to a point) are getting exactly what they want. Remember, they do not want us there. If there is no demand for the use, there will be no Tellico. The more we piss and moan about things being paved and how Tellico sucks now, the farther away it slips from us. And if we tell them that we won't come back, then they win.

Remember, most of the work up there isn't done by the FS, but by volunteers with SFWDA. We do what we have to do to keep the area open. If that means some of the trails are easier, then so be it. At least there are still trails.

Last edited by k9crazy; 06-02-2008 at 03:51 PM.
k9crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Need pics. Ya'll take pictures when you go out, right? Let's see it.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 20092
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9crazy View Post
Well, then, TU and SELC and the FS (to a point) are getting exactly what they want. Remember, they do not want us there. If there is no demand for the use, there will be no Tellico. The more we piss and moan about things being paved and how Tellico sucks now, the farther away it slips from us. And if we tell them that we won't come back, then they win.

Remember, most of the work up there isn't done by the FS, but by volunteers with SFWDA. We do what we have to do to keep the area open. If that means some of the trails are easier, then so be it. At least there are still trails.
believe me, I am plenty versed on tellico and have spent a lot of time there as a volunteer working on the trails to keep them open. My first trip was in 1991 and my last was in 2004. I volunteered at least once a year when I lived on the east coast. I have since moved to CO so a trip to wheel out there is not in the near future for me (gas too expensive).

IMO, It's not up to just the wheelers to keep it open, but also the local economy that the wheelers support when we spend out money there. Gas, groceries, lodging, dining, parts, and other tourist areas (maggie valley, dollywood, Ashville, ect) all benefit from our incremental spending. If the local economy wants to keep that support, they need to step up as well and work with us. This was very much highlighted in my letters.

This isn't about having 'easier' trails, it's about having trails to ride on period.

I also know that money talks.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 83329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Need pics. Ya'll take pictures when you go out, right? Let's see it.
I didn't even take a camera with me.

The survey that they gave me has a section to break down all the money you spent within 25 miles of the trails. It also asks if you will be visiting less becaues of the trail closures. I would really like to know who this survey is going to benefit.

Last edited by redman_30_06; 06-02-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9crazy View Post

What do you suggest? Come down anyway? That's fine if you're local, but at $5/gal it will cost me about $720 in diesel just to go to the Cabins and back. That doesn't count fuel for my rig, grocieries, Rib Country (damn do I spend a lot there) or lodging at the Cabins. I fully support the SFWDA and their fight and will gladly donate some $, but I simply can't justify the trip anymore if all the good trails are shut down and the rest can be done in 2WD.

Last edited by chris demartini; 06-03-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 101552
Quote:
What do you suggest? Come down anyway? That's fine if you're local, but at $5/gal it will cost me about $720 in diesel just to go to the Cabins and back. That doesn't count fuel for my rig, grocieries, Rib Country (damn do I spend a lot there) or lodging at the Cabins. I fully support the SFWDA and their fight and will gladly donate some $, but I simply can't justify the trip anymore if all the good trails are shut down and the rest can be done in 2WD.
I second that. I have made the trip every year for the last five and was fortunate to run last summer before they really modified things. I live in southern Massachusetts and will not likely make the Dixie Run this year because of the cost/benefit. Shameful, as I have some great local friends that I love to visit, but we four wheeled and now they are all buying motorcyles since the wheeling seems to be going away. Steve C sold his place at the right time in my estimation, he must have read the writting on the wall...

[URL="www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743038"][B][I][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]My Build Thread: East Meets West...Another XL TJ[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/B][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="Red"]Approved Vendors List:[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[URL="www.baystateoffroad.com"][COLOR="Yellow"]Bay State OffRoad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.rockkrawler.com/"][COLOR="yellow"]RockKrawler Suspension[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://kore4x4customs.com/"][COLOR="yellow"]King's Off Road Enterprise[/COLOR][/URL]

Last edited by jbdbloh7; 06-03-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling
jbdbloh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 92338
Quote:
I hear ya. I know it's expensive, and for you it doesn't make much sense. But for those that can make it, please don't write it off yet.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 114794
How is the lawsuit coming? Hope something positive comes out of it!!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 86685
I have one question about the whole process of maintenance. If the entire trail was nothing but rock there would be nothing for them to complain about as long as we stay on the trail

So what gives? If anything I say let nature run it's course until it's pure rock.

Last edited by s10er8; 06-04-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 66647
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10er8 View Post
I have one question about the whole process of maintenance. If there are bare rocks on the trail, why cover them up with dirt? If the entire trail was nothing but rock there would be nothing for them to complain about as long as we stay on the trail

So what gives? Why is dirt hauled into the trail after people are already crying about erosion? If anything I say let nature run it's course until it's pure rock.

How long was the trail exposed before they added dirt? I only took a simple geology class in high school, but something tells me it would be impossible in the Appalachians mountains to get pure rock without pavement.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 86685
If anything dig out on the uphill side of it to stop the water instead of covering it up with dirt.

I was just asking, what makes them flatten the trails? Does the FS make them do it?

Last edited by s10er8; 06-04-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 86685
I said that a long time ago

rock=doesnt wash away

Make every trail rock LOL

Last edited by s10er8; 06-04-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 195
Just to add some input...
I am not sure when the ATV's were up there but I went to Tellico the weekend of 4/12/08 and this is what I noticed.

Trail 6 was closed for maintanence.

Trail 5 was basically paved (large packed gravel) all the way to the intersection with 4. Shame, a few years ago this had some good spots shortly after the water crossing (now bridge).

Trail 4 was pretty much the same as it always has been. Rocky with minor rock obstacles. BTW, I did notice that large boulders are now on the top of the "wall" at Fain's Ford during a night ride. That used to be a fun place to eat lunch/play before heading over to slickrock.

Trail 3 was pretty much the same as it always has been. Never really had anything on it. The only time I go on this one is when we go up schoolbus and down pinch rock. I regret it every time and tell myself that turning around and going down schoolbus is WAY shorter.....and it is.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 66647
I should have my new transmission installed within two weeks, should I waste the money on a new front drive shaft? Glad I got to ride so much growing up with my dad, and driving it for the first time during last years Dixie run. Pretty sad. Can't wait to see how the lawsuit turns out.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 101576
On May 10,08 I made my first trip to tellico from the NC side and there was 9 of us total. We went down 4 and had fun but then it got boring on 6 and 3. We had mostly barely over stock jeeps with 2 bigger ones. I had a cj5 with 33's, 3" lift and locker in front and posi in rear. We had a bone stock cj7 with shackles and 33 all terrains that had little issues and a TJ with 2" lift and 31 bfg at's with lockers front and rear that had no issues other than dragging a lot.
No one pulled cable until School Bus when on of the bigger guys went up and rolled coming down ( 1 tons and 38's). We had a good trip overall. The worst I can say about tellico is what I saw was stock to moderate then -oh holly hell bad with little moderate-rough if you wanted to. I was bored most of the day but take into count that we didnt hit but a 1/4 of it. Trail 6 was as pathetically as easy as 3. 4 was the best overall trail that I saw and we hit 5 as well.
mjhoward is offline   Reply With Quote