On the eve of a milestone decision for Tellico... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 92338
On the eve of a milestone decision for Tellico...

I am contemplating my part in this and why I will fight so hard to do what I can to keep the area open. This is a bit of a ramble, but I don't do this very often and I am feeling chatty. Please indulge me.

I haven't been wheeling all that long. Probably only 5 years or so, even though I've been around trucks for much longer. My first wheeling trip was at a little place here in Georgia called Rich Mountain. I wheeled it once. I drove a friends FJ40 and it was a momentous occasion. About 6 months after that ride, I rode Anderson Creek. I decided then that I would own a truck and that I would learn to really wheel (although my friends would argue that that still hasn't happened ).

About a year later, both Rich Mountain and Anderson Creek were closed. It was almost all done under the table, slowly, and in my opinion, in a backhanded and bullshit way.

In the mean time, I bought a truck, started really wheeling. I got involved with land use because I am an Environmental Consultant and I have something to give to this sport. I realized that the people that wheel are some of the most wonderful, caring, and fun people I have met. Yeah, there are exceptions, but for the most part, we're good people.

When Tellico first came under fire, I didn't know Lower 2 from Slickrock. Truth be told, I've never even wheeled those obstacles. Why? I'm a chicken and didn't want to mess up my new truck. But I will wheel them someday. And I don't want to be told by some bureaucrat that I can't do it because there is a perceived issue with my sport.

So...now I fight the fight, along with each of you. Tomorrow is going to be a good day, regardless of the decision. If they reopen Tellico, I am going to have a beer and relax for a moment and toast the people that made it happen. If they close it, then I am going to take a deep breath and get ready to continue to fight for what is mine.

In the history of OHV land use, we as a group have never been better armed, better educated, and better positioned. If Tellico closes, it's certainly not because we didn't do everything in our power to stop it. And that is the measure of success here. I will see this through to the end, and I am asking each of you to pledge to do the same thing. Don't give up, don't fall prey to the FS and let them convince you that they have the upper hand. Don't allow them to squash your memories and your future at Tellico.

Here's to tomorrow...the next day in my fight to keep Tellico open!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 34667

I was just bragging about it to my mother. I still dont know why she called though...hmm...
Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 16988

Cheers to everyone who commented and especially to those who are helping lead this campaign.

THANK YOU
wayneraintree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
dlc

Member # 20498
Any new news????????

SAVE TELLICO RALLY post #15
dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlc View Post
Any new news????????

We will not know anything until the final EA is released.

I have a feeling that it may be awhile becuase they have to go through all of our submitted comments. The Tahoe NF delayed thier EIS becuase of the amount of comments we dropped on them...

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 32538
Send a message via MSN to shadetree6969
I'm glad we could help then earn there money.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 92338
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlc View Post
Any new news????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
We will not know anything until the final EA is released.

I have a feeling that it may be awhile becuase they have to go through all of our submitted comments. The Tahoe NF delayed thier EIS becuase of the amount of comments we dropped on them...

Well, this is sorta true. We have 2 things going on here. For the EA, Kurt is right. We won't know the final decision (close, move to EIS, or an alternative) until they get through our comments.

The second thing though, is the temporary emergency closure they proposed to keep the area closed through the NEPA process. That decision needs to be made today because the winter closure (and the select trail closure) is over today. So we WILL hear something about that today. I am on lookout for it and will post up in a new thread when I see the announcement.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 110083
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9crazy View Post
So we WILL hear something about that today. I am on lookout for it and will post up in a new thread when I see the announcement.
Any updates?
frazier2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 125758
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier2209 View Post
Any updates?
Check the thread below Cody, closed until 2011