Desperate times Tellico/Murphy - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
Desperate times Tellico/Murphy

I have been reading the local news in these areas.

5 million worth of tourism shut down by F.S. (yearly rate estimate, I bet it's higher)

Both areas have close to 20% unemployement.

Life long resident and local paramedic attempts to rob bank, took a hostage them kills himself !!!!!

The F.S. sure cares about these towns!
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20891
The Public schools have a hiring freeze right now (that's the largest employer in the area) not many people outside of the education system know about it. So not only are teachers out of jobs, but the quality of the education for the kids will suffer, i.e. less teachers = larger classrooms with worse student:teacher ratios & reduced funding for supplies. It's pretty bad, I'm lucky my wife is a tenured teacher in Cherokee county (Murphy).

Oh and another thing not on the public radar is the impact on church pastors. My dad is one and he will probably lose his job because of severely reduced member tithes. It's simple really low economy = low giving at church = churches will have to close.

Thank you FS for putting a dagger in our back. Et tu, Brute!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
GSW

Member # 40411
The Forest Service certainly bears some culpability for crushing the economy of an area already hit hard by the economic downturn. But never forget, the true credit for those lost jobs, closed businesses, families in turmoil, sharply reduced sales tax revenue (huge deal for Cherokee County) and apparently even violent acts of desperation all goes to the following: Southern Environmental Law Center, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, Wildsouth (formerly SABDP) and our good pals at Trout Unlimited.
GSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 128034
I am typically a lurker, but I feel this is worth posting. If you are concerned about Murphy's economy, call up the Mayor and voice your concerns. I talked to him on Friday and he seemed pretty indifferent about the whole matter, but maybe if he starts getting slammed with phone calls of would-be tourists that won't be bringing their wallets through town anymore, we can get him fired up.

http://www.townofmurphync.com/mayorsdesk.php

5 Wofford St
Murphy, NC 28906
(828) 837-2510
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 105795
You guys are absolutely right about the economy in Murphy. The public leaders of Cherokee County and Murphy Town Council are not doing enough. The County Manager is not experienced enough to handle this situation and should be replaced. He is a good guy and I hate to see anyone lose their job, but he is just a puppet for the other embedded members with other personal agenda's. I spoke to Badger and he told me that when they were asked if the closure of Tellico would have a significant impact on the county he told them that the county would survive. This is a true statement and it will be on the tax payers backs that the county will survive. They are wanting and may have even passed a 3% tax increase on the Occupancy tax rate. The half truth we are spoon fed is that the County needs this increase so they can market through the chamber of commerce for more tourism. This is a grand idea, however I think the reason for this increase is to replace the current county funding, which does not actually benefit the Tourism Marketing program. It keeps all of the council members family members from being layed off and the Wellness Center open that is a money pit. I love small towns, but the politics are as corrupt as they get!
As far as the Mayor, this is a social position...he likes walking through town and being recognized. We is completely worthless and will not make a difference unless the town businesses get involved.
On a different note, I saw a news piece regarding Lake Lanier in Ga. The piece was about how the low water levels have affected the area economy. The boat marina's have been crushed and how much tourism they have lost. The news journalist interviewed a lady that owned a little shop and she stated that "She never realized how much the lake status affected her business" and how she was just holding on by a thread as well as other area businesses looking for more rain to fill it up. This is what has been and will affect the local business owners of Cherokee County in regards to Tellico OHV. As a resident I am fed up with the politics and wish the other residents and businesses would get their heads out of the sand. The sad part is I don't think they have a clue.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 69050
Send a message via MSN to godevil
The town of Murphy does not want your money.

Look at the towns website. There is no link to the town being anywhere near the premiere OHV on the east coast, But you will notice that flyfishing is mentioned.
Now go check out Harlan KY's town website. See a difference?
How many local businesses made positive comments to the forest Service? 6? Are you kidding me?
The mayor should be falling over himself to get every single dollar pumped into the local economy that he can, he isn't. UNLESS you are a flyfisherman,mountain biker or hiker.
I have stayed At both Tellico Cabins and at Crawford's and look foreward to spending my money with both of them again,hopefully in the not so distant future. I hope both can adapt to the closure and weather the storm untill an agreement is met and the OHV is reopened. I plan to ride whatever is open as soon as possable.
The rest of the area can kiss my ass. The mayor has chosen sides and we are not the type of people he wants in his town. Good riddance.
I will do everything in my power to NOT spend any money anywhere in Murphy,or the county for that matter.

Wise beyond my postcount.
GDI
godevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Screw Murphy let the town rot in poverty. The only people I feel bad for are Chuck & Helen Davis and the Crawford's folks because wheeling was their livelyhood. Everyone else apparently does not want us or our money so let em starve. I am just as much a diehard fisherman as I am a diehard wheeler and I can tell you one thing wheelers generate 10x the tourism money that fisherman or hippie mountain bikers or hikers combined could even fathom spending for one weekend of recreation.

Tellico is closed we are no longer welcome in Murphy, enjoy being poor Harlan KY here we come $$$$$
chris demartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34482
We are into mt. biking, fishing, camping, hiking, and wheeling.....and I can promise you that most of our money is spent when out on wheeling trips (and it's mostly spent where ever we are wheeling), so if that's the position Murphy chooses to take - then fuck 'em !

Last edited by 01Tundra; 04-06-2009 at 10:53 AM.
01Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 37142
I am a local here in Murphy also. Funkskunk....you are lucky that your wife is tenured. Not only is there a hiring freeze, the school system has to eliminate 146 teachers before the beginning of the next school year. They are hoping to lose quite a few to retirement and families just leaving the area, but I am sure that they will have to let quite a few go before next August. They had to RETURN a bunch of funding around December and will probably have to return more in the coming weeks, just so our Governor could balance the budget. All of this because of falling sales tax revenues. Mayor Hughes was the principal of Murphy Elementary for many years prior to his election as Mayor. If anyone SHOULD understand these problems, it should be him.

My business relies on tourism also. So far, my business seems to be holding it's own. As long as my wife who also works in the County School system has a job, we will try to hang in here. I was born and raised here, but with unemployment at close to 20% I am afraid that things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Danny, there are still quite a few of us locals who enjoyed Tellico also. The only thing that we may have left is to band together and get some of our elected officials replaced in the next election. Most of them are either retired or old money families who care nothing about attracting tourism.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 83791
Guys - don't throw the whole town under the bus just because a few elected officials aren't playing ball. There are many business and families in the Murphy area who work HARD to make a living and rely on the Tellico trail system for income (whether they know it or not).

Know the saying about honey and vinegar? We would be better served to get these business owners and even regular ole' citizens to realize how much money the Tellico trail system brings into the Murphy area and have them fight for us - rather than throw the whole town under the bus.

Just my two cents...
Eventhough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 105795
Whenever the campaign needs to me started let me know. I think that even the majority of the locals want to see new people in office. I hear them complain all the time on how they are sick of the old money running the town for their own interests. Hell, I have even told my wife I may run for County Commissioner this next go around. I don't have any commercial property on the 4 lane or a reason to make any side deals. I have to experience of being in public service in a very small town (800 perm. residents) and also in a very fast growing community that started out at about (28,000) and by the time I left 8 years later is was up to (70,000). You got to have a vision that does not exclude any economic asset for your community. Tellico OHV is a bastard step child to this county. Jonathon Dickey is the only one that I can say has expressed some interest in the place as far as the others, I really believe they just think since they don't use it...it just does not matter. Like the occupancy tax proposal, which is completely bogus, I also have a problem with the Airport expantion. I really believe this is a personal runway program for Wells and Snow. Badger keeps trying to convence me otherwise.
On the note of being pissed off at everyone in the town of Murphy, I think everyone should be pissed at the leadership instead. I think you should shop in Murphy and visit the local merchants as much as you can. More important than making a purchase, you should start a conversation as to who you are and why you are in town. We had business card printed up for the last campaign and I think that several of the local businesses did get an opportunity to see you spending money and have a positive impact on them.
The local merchants by majority are not local at all. A vast majority of them are people who are from other states, like Florida who started up a business. A majority of these folks are not really dependant on the income source as much as you would believe. Some are arrogant, like the Moose Hallow who believe they are a tourist destination and don't need anything, but special consideration from the Town Council. I was told by the Mayor himself last year that it really didn't matter that the other 18 businesses on Tennessee St wanted the Crawler Show, it was the Largest business (Moose Hallow) who didn't and that is what matters. This goes to show you how the Murphy Leadership thinks.
I hear all the time that Halan is the best thing since sliced bread. I will say it again and again. This is only because YOU are the ONLY thing they got. Now that Tellico is temporarily closed, Harlan will love you even more, I hear that admission has already been implemented for the good of the trails. I guess the local business owners are not making enough money to invest in the park???????? Sounds a little familiar to me.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 30164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawfords Campground View Post
I hear all the time that Halan is the best thing since sliced bread. I will say it again and again. This is only because YOU are the ONLY thing they got. Now that Tellico is temporarily closed, Harlan will love you even more, I hear that admission has already been implemented for the good of the trails. I guess the local business owners are not making enough money to invest in the park???????? Sounds a little familiar to me.
WOW Talk about a retarded comment. This isnt a Tellico vs Harlan thing. You honestly think people around Harlan wanted Tellico closed? You think none of those people helped send in letters and Rally for Tellico? {Cough}Unlike someone} We have had a ton of people stand up for our riding areas, that would have never even made the trip, but that is the point WE ALL HAVE TO STAND TOGETHER. Not this bullshit that is spewing from your mouth.

I have been riding and supporting Tellico for years. Nothing can replace it. Halran is awesome as well. I stood up and posted in the online Rally for the Hammers, sent letters for the Hammers, as I have with the Rubicon and other places on the West Coast. This is something we have to fight for. This isnt a one place deal as you seem to think. I am glad you have been helping fight the Tellico closure but grant it, you are in it for the money and your lopsided comments prove that. Yes you want to hold rallies at your campgrounds, Why? Yes it is to help save Tellico but it also puts money in YOUR pocket. I never thought anything about your agenda before the post knocking Harlan, which was totally uncalled for.

My other questions for you are.
1. Why have you not ventured out of the Tellico land use forum and tried posting, sending letters for Hammers,Rubicon or other areas that are in trouble?
2. Where were you for our Tellico Online Rally? When this threat against Tellico first started?

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.sfwda.org/trails/tellico/donate.html"][COLOR="Red"][B]HELP SAVE TELLICO[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
BadAssXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 51984
Harlan is the new best thing going. Lets not even get this argument started, . I miss Tellico and hope I don't have to miss it for long but Harlan wants you there. As far as fees, I will gladly pay $35 bucks a year. If you would take your ass up there after a bad snow or ice storm and see the damage thats up there you would appreciate what the Kentucky Mountain Crawlers do. Any town that will let you ride your Rhino's and Dirtbikes on the main roads is a town I want to take my money to.

I wish there was a Harlan section on this board. Now that Tellico is going through all this we need to raise awarness for all our wheelin spots.
250f4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
GSW

Member # 40411
Apparently the Town of Evarts is not quite as friendly to wheelers as they once were. http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62628

Either way, Harlan was mentioned once before in this forum regarding the dates for certain events and a small misunderstanding ensued. That might be the only reason it was even mentioned again. Just a guess but I would assume that anyone that cares enough about our sport to read and post in this forum also wants all public/private areas to be successful.
GSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 105795
The comments do come off a little snotty, I admit. The reason is not because of clashing events...I could care less. The issue is that there is always someone that wants to post up comments that are not helpful to the cause, that will only put doubt in the minds of the supporters. The Spring Fling issue was done the same way. I not saying that Harlan wants Tellico to go away, I am saying that obviously that park will greatly bennifit from it's absence. If you think otherwise you are sadly mistaken. I only point out the situations are starting to change as that place becomes more popular and as time goes by things will change. All I heard last year was the place was free, now it's not. There is no way that it can stay for free, knowing how much maintenance it takes to keep a place running as it should ie. Tellico. I say the charges will continue to increase and things will change as to you being able to ride around on public roads and highways with unregistered and non DOT legal vehicles. Common sense would say KY is not immune for State and Federal regulations. It will stop when someone starts complaining. This will happen about the time the place is running at capacity. Rememer these words" Popularity will ultimately hurt the place". Everyone is pissed off, tempers are easily flaired and things taken out of context real easy. It would be really nice if folks would take a moment before bashing and making comparisons that the situations between these two places cannot be compared on the same level playing field. Murphy, 20 years ago-Maybe.
I appoligize for ruffling the feathers...I am just about at my whits end with this whole situation and grabbing at strings!
FYI: I don't have to justify my willingness to get involved as I have sent letters to all of the places that are in trouble for the past two years and also involved in open access in the State of Florida. I can't wait to ride up in KY myself, matter of fact I am looking at a dual sport rally that may happen up there in July.
Like me or hate me, this is my opinion.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 72181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssXJ View Post
WOW Talk about a retarded comment. This isnt a Tellico vs Harlan thing. You honestly think people around Harlan wanted Tellico closed? You think none of those people helped send in letters and Rally for Tellico? {Cough}Unlike someone} We have had a ton of people stand up for our riding areas, that would have never even made the trip, but that is the point WE ALL HAVE TO STAND TOGETHER. Not this bullshit that is spewing from your mouth.

I have been riding and supporting Tellico for years. Nothing can replace it. Halran is awesome as well. I stood up and posted in the online Rally for the Hammers, sent letters for the Hammers, as I have with the Rubicon and other places on the West Coast. This is something we have to fight for. This isnt a one place deal as you seem to think. I am glad you have been helping fight the Tellico closure but grant it, you are in it for the money and your lopsided comments prove that. Yes you want to hold rallies at your campgrounds, Why? Yes it is to help save Tellico but it also puts money in YOUR pocket. I never thought anything about your agenda before the post knocking Harlan, which was totally uncalled for.

My other questions for you are.
1. Why have you not ventured out of the Tellico land use forum and tried posting, sending letters for Hammers,Rubicon or other areas that are in trouble?
2. Where were you for our Tellico Online Rally? When this threat against Tellico first started?

i think you are missing what he was trying to say. all he was saying is the b/c tellico is closed now, harlan is going to get alot more OHV traffic through there and they will be getting more money because of that. they will be making more money from OHVers because tellico closed. he never said anywhere that the people of harlan wanted tellico to close.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 105795
One more thing about the money agenda. Yes, I am business. Yes, Tellico threatens my ability to take care of my family. No, I will never get rich dealing with a campground. I think the people who come out here will tell you I don't treat them like a cash cow when they cross the gate. I have obligations that have to be met and until Obama does away with the currency system, I need green backs to live. My only agenda is to take care of my family. I can assure you that I will do that even if my place ends up being a trailer park.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 20891
Quote:
Hell, I have even told my wife I may run for County Commissioner this next go around.
Do it! I'd vote for you! It's really not that bad of idea, what do we need to do to make that happen?!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 105795
When I was in Law Enforcement, as an agency we would do our very best to assist council members that were public service friendly. This would assure that we would get a fair shake at a decent work contract. You would be surprised how the council members would cut the public service budgets (Police and Fire) to put in a nice park. The political game takes a little longer to take hold, but it would be nice to have a few council members that could lead the charge for speaking up for the Off Road Tourism in this County. Political pressure will be a very important saving Tellico OHV and other places. I will look into the scenario a little harder. Thanks for your support and I approve this message!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 101942
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
Screw Murphy let the town rot in poverty. The only people I feel bad for are Chuck & Helen Davis and the Crawford's folks because wheeling was their livelyhood. Everyone else apparently does not want us or our money so let em starve. I am just as much a diehard fisherman as I am a diehard wheeler and I can tell you one thing wheelers generate 10x the tourism money that fisherman or hippie mountain bikers or hikers combined could even fathom spending for one weekend of recreation.

Tellico is closed we are no longer welcome in Murphy, enjoy being poor Harlan KY here we come $$$$$
xjemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 20891
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post

Wow, thanks for the curse there Chris, I'll have to let my wife know that we are doomed now to 'rot in poverty'! Oh and I guess since I mountain bike and hike I'm a hippie too right? thanks for the encouragement bud.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 34667
yah thanks chris. I built my shop up here cause of Tellico. I would have done much better to stay in Florida and stick chrome on TJ's but I took the chance. Oh well. The good thing about closing the shop will be that I actually get to spend time trail riding again. But I know what you mean chris. WTF do the leaders around here think.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
Only 86 peeps had power cut off last month, bet they could use some of that 5 millon.

http://www.thecherokeescout.com/arti...7136531376.txt

Drug use on the rise!

http://www.thecherokeescout.com/arti...4271335851.txt

I'm sure T/U has plans to help.
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 129986
Quote:
Danny. You want the original in HIGH res so you can make some shirts? LOL!

Last edited by Southeast Offroad; 04-12-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Southeast Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 105795
Yeah, I noticed that banner after the rally was over. I don't know who put that thing up, pretty funny though? You guys are very creative. Hopefully SFWDA has something on the horizon that will get things stirring again soon. I would hate for the pressure to let up and people to just accept this situation.