Recreational Groups Take Next Step To Save Tellico - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 137758
As usual, all I can say is "party line", that the "Legal Heads" are talking. It's out of everyone's hands except for the lawyers and judge at this time. As things develop we'll try to keep you posted.
JC NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
JBC

Member # 59728
Drove through Murphy yesterday and was thinking about this, hopefully we can get a real update soon.

On a side note, its strange that every forest service truck I see now makes me sick and I feel like the enemy is near.
JBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 20891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBC View Post
Drove through Murphy yesterday and was thinking about this, hopefully we can get a real update soon.
Imagine how those of us that live here feel!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 81189
I'm thinking about moving to Asheville, I live in Ohio now and we have some good local wheeling at Wellsville.

Are there ANY places to wheel in the Tellico area? Ive never been there,
not familiar with the area. Basically... What is the local legal wheeling options in and around Asheville and over toward Tellico? I like hard trails, rocks... Is there anything really fun left to wheel?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
OnlyHereForTheTires

Member # 131726
Quote:
Originally Posted by barillms View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Asheville, I live in Ohio now and we have some good local wheeling at Wellsville.

not familiar with the area. Basically... What is the local legal wheeling options in and around Asheville and over toward Tellico? I like hard trails, rocks... Is there anything really fun left to wheel?
Asheville would be within reasonable distance for you to frequent Harlan, KY which is a very off-road friendly area... one of my favorite places in the southeast, its just a long haul from us in Atlanta.
*darcy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 158189
^^ X2, and Windrock / Coal Creek. Those are about the best 2 in the area. As far as forest service land, you are out of luck.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
OnlyHereForTheTires

Member # 131726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabunjeeper View Post
^^ X2, and Windrock / Coal Creek. Those are about the best 2 in the area. As far as forest service land, you are out of luck.
coal creek is nice, but man thats an expensive weekend ... $17 x 2 people x 2-3 days + camping or hotel = $$$$ I couldn't imagine bringing a family along at $17/person/day!

Harlan, on the other hand is $30 a YEAR per vehicle. We usually get 2-3 trips in per year on one pass, so even though its a long haul (7hrs) we can make it a pretty reasonably priced trip with all of the inexpensive camping options they have.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 85483
You guys are forgetting about Royal Blue and Jellico...which offer some nice wheeling also.

Back to the subject...any updates?
thumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #34 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 132057
I hope the reopen that place one day. I live in Louisiana, but id make the trip.

corey d
STUPIDFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
Quote:
Originally Posted by barillms View Post

if you live in Asheville you'll be approx. 2 hours from lots of places. Mtn. City, Windrock, The Flats, The Gulches, Harlan and hopefully Tellico. Some offer more than others. I just wish Windrock didn't cost so much.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
$17/person/day is a fucking bargain in the Northeast.

Enjoy it while you've got it.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
$17/person/day is a fucking bargain in the Northeast.

Enjoy it while you've got it.
For sure!!!

[B][URL="www.rightcoast4x4.com"]www.rightcoast4x4.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="http://www.dazednconfuzed.net/wp/"]www.dazednconfuzed.net[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.atozfabrication.com/"]www.atozfabrication.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.alltechmotorsports.com"]www.alltechmotorsports.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.davesoffroadsupply.com"]www.davesoffroadsupply.com[/URL][/B]

[QUOTE=FLEXYSAMMY;13977957]Yes you are correct Eric.[/QUOTE]
94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
angry

Member # 21215
If you're complaining about $17/day to go 4wheeling you're in the wrong sport...holy fuck
redneckengineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 41137
it's not just $17. in order to wheel there more than a day and make the trip worth while you have to camp. There is no free camping. Tents are $20. So that's $37/day. I know you're real good with money so multiply that by 2 and give me a figure. That's what it costs. You'd think they'd cut some slack one way or the other but no. You essentially pay $37/day to ride. I'm sure someone such as yourself has no problem forking out that kind of money but for the ones with more realistic budgets that's a PITA after gas, food, propane, etc.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #40 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
We're in for $35 per day as a driver, plus a $15 yearly membership fee, plus $7 each per passenger per day. And it's a 300-mile round trip. Camping is free but you get what you pay for.

I've wheeled at the Hammers, Colorado, Harlan...it amazes me how much people take this shit for granted.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
angry

Member # 21215
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken View Post
it's not just $17. in order to wheel there more than a day and make the trip worth while you have to camp. There is no free camping. Tents are $20. So that's $37/day. I know you're real good with money so multiply that by 2 and give me a figure. That's what it costs. You'd think they'd cut some slack one way or the other but no. You essentially pay $37/day to ride. I'm sure someone such as yourself has no problem forking out that kind of money but for the ones with more realistic budgets that's a PITA after gas, food, propane, etc.
If it's that big of a deal roll in Saturday morning. Yea that's on the high end for parks around here and not worth it for Windrock IMO (there are much better places to wheel). Either way when you consider the fact that this is one of the most expensive hobbies I know of, $37 is a drop in the bucket to get out and beat on your shit.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:15 AM   #42 (permalink)
OnlyHereForTheTires

Member # 131726
$17 a day for ONE person ... where they get you (and my point) was that you have to pay the $17 per person not vehcile ... which means passengers are paying for just being in the truck

We have guys in our group who bring 2-3 kids along plus their wife, so when you're paying $17 a PERSON for a 5 person family... its gets pretty damn expensive to ride there for more than a day. and if I'm driving 3-4 hours to get somewhere, it makes sense to go somewhere that we can ride for more than just ONE day.

$85/DAY for your whole family just to ride around the park, plus camping/hotel, food etc.

where as in say, Harlan, we pay our $30 once a year regardless of how many people we squeeze into the truck and how many times we go... and there's some cheap camping in town, so despite the distance, its a much less expensive trip, especially when every meal comes from the Dairy Hut for $5

and we have gone wheeling 2 (sometimes 3) weekends out of almost every month for the past year and a half - so yeah, I do consider our budget when we pick where we're going and to which events we'll attend.

Last edited by *darcy*; 07-15-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by *darcy* View Post
$17 a day for ONE person ... where they get you (and my point) was that you have to pay the $17 per person not vehcile ... which means passengers are paying for just being in the truck

We have guys in our group who bring 2-3 kids along plus their wife, so when you're paying $17 a PERSON for a 5 person family... its gets pretty damn expensive to ride there for more than a day. and if I'm driving 3-4 hours to get somewhere, it makes sense to go somewhere that we can ride for more than just ONE day.

$85/DAY for your whole family just to ride around the park, plus camping/hotel, food etc.

where as in say, Harlan, we pay our $30 once a year regardless of how many people we squeeze into the truck and how many times we go... and there's some cheap camping in town, so despite the distance, its a much less expensive trip, especially when every meal comes from the Dairy Hut for $5

and we have gone wheeling 2 (sometimes 3) weekends out of almost every month for the past year and a half - so yeah, I do consider our budget when we pick where we're going and to which events we'll attend.
after I thought about this I forgot to mention that point. if I want to take my wife that's an additional $17 taking the total up to $54/day. that's a bit much. Like I said it would be better if they would give you a price break one way or the other.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #44 (permalink)
angry

Member # 21215
Ok, you got me. $17/day per person is retarded. I don't care what a park charges, everyone has to make a buck and I don't like to bitch about other people's overhead but charging the same for the passenger as you do for the rig is BS. I don't know of any park that does that. Some don't charge for passengers or if they do it's much cheaper than the per rig rate. I would think with a policy like that they would lose a lot of business but they probably don't care about the big 4wheelers anyways. I bet they make the lions share of their funds off the little 4 wheelers running all over that damn place.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckengineered View Post
I would think with a policy like that they would lose a lot of business but they probably don't care about the big 4wheelers anyways. I bet they make the lions share of their funds off the little 4 wheelers running all over that damn place.
i can agree to that.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Ok, you got me. $17/day per person is retarded. I don't care what a park charges, everyone has to make a buck and I don't like to bitch about other people's overhead but charging the same for the passenger as you do for the rig is BS. I don't know of any park that does that. Some don't charge for passengers or if they do it's much cheaper than the per rig rate. I would think with a policy like that they would lose a lot of business but they probably don't care about the big 4wheelers anyways. I bet they make the lions share of their funds off the little 4 wheelers running all over that damn place.
If I’m not mistaking it is managed by an ATV group…or it was. So yeah, that’s where the $17 per came from. Still sucks no matter how you slice it. That’s one reason I ride Royal Blue instead…about 45 minutes North of Windrock. And I do make my way up to Harlan also.
thumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #47 (permalink)
OnlyHereForTheTires

Member # 131726
yeah, needless to say i was pissed when we got to River Rock (milledgeville, ga) for their spring fling ... every where they advertised on forums, etc they said $45/rig for camping and wheeling all weekend ... so we show up and they have a sign at the gate that says $45/truck + $15 for PASSENGERS. What the heck? how does my butt being in that seat cost you an extra $15? and why didn't you tell people that ahead of time?

whatever, $60 for a weekend, no big deal ... but then add in that they don't have a map and not a single sign telling you trail ratings, etc...

at least windrock is a little more put together with their maps, facilities, and tons of trails... so you somewhat feel like its worth the $$

I guess we're just spoiled for the other events we do - our Southeast Takeover in tennessee that we (Georgia TTORA) put on is $85 this year ... that covers your camping (thurs-monday), 3 days of trail riding, (2) meal tickets, and driver's t-shirt PLUS all the event stuff we're giving out, and a pretty decent raffle.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #48 (permalink)
angry

Member # 21215
The only thing the Windrock map is good for is wiping my ass. I love River Rock. It clearly states on their website $15 for spectators. Also, $60 for a weekend isn't bad for an event like the Spring Fling. Last time I was there they had a band, vendors, etc.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
OnlyHereForTheTires

Member # 131726
Quote:
It clearly states on their website $15 for spectators. .
but i wasn't spectating ... i was passenger'ing
Old 07-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
Originally Posted by *darcy* View Post

I guess we're just spoiled for the other events we do - our Southeast Takeover in tennessee that we (Georgia TTORA) put on is $85 this year ... that covers your camping (thurs-monday), 3 days of trail riding, (2) meal tickets, and driver's t-shirt PLUS all the event stuff we're giving out, and a pretty decent raffle.
bingo

[B][URL="www.rightcoast4x4.com"]www.rightcoast4x4.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="http://www.dazednconfuzed.net/wp/"]www.dazednconfuzed.net[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.atozfabrication.com/"]www.atozfabrication.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.alltechmotorsports.com"]www.alltechmotorsports.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.davesoffroadsupply.com"]www.davesoffroadsupply.com[/URL][/B]

[QUOTE=FLEXYSAMMY;13977957]Yes you are correct Eric.[/QUOTE]
94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote