Tellico Update 8-24-2010 - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 26935
Send a message via Yahoo to jduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken View Post
I have no problem telling everyone now because if you're reading this you're probably not at the event and it doesn't matter. There's supposed to be a press release coming shortly.
Well??
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 20891
On a side note, if you haven't noticed the new CRAWL has an article about Tellico, refering to it as our "Alamo". I really hope it can be that for us and we actually win this amazing piece of 4wheeling back!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 104679
Violins??
Old 10-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
angry

Member # 21215
well?
redneckengineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
All right assholes here's the news but first a small tidbit.

This morning I got canned from SFWDA as the newsletter guy. It probably won't be long before I get kicked from the super secret SFWDA Board of Directors section on the Southern board so I'll share what I know.

We met with a mediator and the USFS (Marisue Hilliard and lawyer) at Charlotte, NC. The FS's initial offer was the same BS we heard before, drop the lawsuit and we will help you work with the state of NC and try to find a new area. We suggested rebuilding the trails at Tellico to meet current standards of engineering etc., Marisue's response was they will not even consider reopening Tellico. We proposed adding full size trails to the Roy A. Taylor ATV area (the area is about 40,000 acres), they replied that they are in the process of closing that area.
We left the meeting with the proposal that we would submit a list of potential sites for a new or improved OHV areas, when they reject these we will continue on with the lawsuit.
The FS did exactly what I expected at the meeting and yes it probably was a waste of time, but we have now checked off one more step in the legal process.

that's all I got about the meeting on the 24th. I'm sick and tired of not being able to tell you guys more. I honestly think Southern has dropped the ball from day one. There's a hundered things they could tell you but they don't. Why? I have no clue. I guess they figure if they keep you guys in the dark long enough you'll just go along with whatever they say since you don't know any better. I never voiced such opinion because I wasn't going to be that guy who never had anything positive to say and took away from the fight. I've done everything I know to try and help but in the end I pissed the wrong folks off and now I'm on the outs. I'll continue to help on land use issues because they are important to us as a community. However, the fight for Tellico is over.

Last edited by McCracken; 10-04-2010 at 07:20 AM.
McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #31 (permalink)
angry

Member # 21215
Quote:
All right assholes here's the news but first a small tidbit.

This morning I got canned from SFWDA as the newsletter guy. It probably won't be long before I get kicked from the super secret SFWDA Board of Directors section on the Southern board so I'll share what I know.

We met with a mediator and the USFS (Marisue Hilliard and lawyer) at Charlotte, NC. The FS's initial offer was the same BS we heard before, drop the lawsuit and we will help you work with the state of NC and try to find a new area. We suggested rebuilding the trails at Tellico to meet current standards of engineering etc., Marisue's response was they will not even consider reopening Tellico. We proposed adding full size trails to the Roy A. Taylor ATV area (the area is about 40,000 acres), they replied that they are in the process of closing that area.
We left the meeting with the proposal that we would submit a list of potential sites for a new or improved OHV areas, when they reject these we will continue on with the lawsuit.
The FS did exactly what I expected at the meeting and yes it probably was a waste of time, but we have now checked off one more step in the legal process.

that's all I got about the meeting on the 24th. I'm sick and tired of not being able to tell you guys more. I honestly think Southern has dropped the ball from day one. There's a hundered things they could tell you but they don't. Why? I have no clue. I guess they figure if they keep you guys in the dark long enough you'll just go along with whatever they say since you don't know any better. I never voiced such opinion because I wasn't going to be that guy who never had anything positive to say and took away from the fight. I've done everything I know to try and help but in the end I pissed the wrong folks off and now I'm on the outs. I'll continue to help on land use issues because they are important to us as a community. However, the fight for Tellico is over.
Nothing like keeping your constituents in the dark to rally the base The only thing SWFDA has done right is put on a case study of how not to right a closure. The highlight of me not going to Dixie Run this year was that they didn't get any of my money.

On another note I'd love to hear the pissing someone off and getting canned story. Knowing you I bet it is good.

Last edited by redneckengineered; 10-04-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckengineered View Post
On another note I'd love to hear the pissing someone off and getting canned story. Knowing you I bet it is good.
I wish it was. Unfortunately, it's not Pretty much Roger and I don't like each other. I volunteered because I wanted to help Southern, not him. No one else would so he was stuck with me. He said some things and I wrote some articles about it. Just like what you're seeing out of Southern now, no one would come out and say, "I don't like what you're putting in the newsletter". Instead it was behind the scenes meetings where decisions were being made. One of those meetings was "Nick's out, this other dude is in." At least this is what I gather from it. He sent me the email this morning saying I had to turn over all materials to him as soon as the summer edition comes out.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
angry

Member # 21215
LAME. But, sounds par for the course with those guys. Color me not surprised.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #34 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 69050
Send a message via MSN to godevil
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Damn it's hard to be positive right about now.........

Wise beyond my postcount.
GDI
godevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by godevil View Post
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Damn it's hard to be positive right about now.........
Hell I did or at least I thought I did. I actually thought I was doing good. I'm not an english major so maybe the punctuation wasn't there or I missed a semicolon but I thought the articles were decent. I also tried to put in as many pictures as I could for the slow folks
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
McCracken- You are the main reason I donated a hundred bucks a few months ago. If the powers to be think they will get one more thin dime out of me while keeping me in the dark they are sadly mistaken.

If Southern doesn't step up with the PR and keep people informed they will wither up and blow away!!!

Last edited by weedwacker; 10-04-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: sp
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedwacker View Post
McCracken- You are the main reason I donated a hundred bucks a few months ago. If the powers to be think they will get of more thin dime out of me while keeping me in the dark they are sadly mistaken.

If Southern doesn't step up with the PR and keep people informed they will wither up and blow away!!!
Well, I appreciate it. That actually makes me feel pretty good. We (as in the people on here) gave a pretty good effort I thought. Our rally really opened eyes. We had discussions that were needed that maybe others didn't want to hear and we gave to a cause we thought was worth fighting for. I just hoped this whole ordeal hasn't put people off of land use. It's still needed and there's a lot of places that need help too.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 104679
McCracken,
I know what you were trying to do at Southern and I think if you could have done it,Southern would've been better off. The SFWDA is so outdated and the reason they dont tell people whats going on, is because they know people will quit giving money.

They're a joke for an organization and I'm ready to see them float belly up like Tellico.I will never support them!

I have respect for you Nick and at at least now your name wont be tarnished like thiers. Be glad you got forced out!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKRAWL View Post
McCracken,
I know what you were trying to do at Southern and I think if you could have done it,Southern would've been better off. The SFWDA is so outdated and the reason they dont tell people whats going on, is because they know people will quit giving money.

They're a joke for an organization and I'm ready to see them float belly up like Tellico.I will never support them!

I have respect for you Nick and at at least now your name wont be tarnished like thiers. Be glad you got forced out!
the only way that organization will thrive in the future is to get people like us in there. it'll take a lot of folks shaking things up before any real change (shudder) will happen. It's like I said in my last article. The old folks are going to die out one day and who will be left? Us that's who. Too bad they don't want any new people in the organization. They just want to recycle what they have over and over again.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 104679
How is thier membership these days as far as numbers? Has it declined in recent years? I would expect it to hit rock bottom, if everyone who supports them would start asking questions, instead of writing a check for nothing.

and...I hate how they charge a club to be added to thier websites list of clubs and then uses that clubs efforts as thier own, when they do nothing.Bullshit!

Its funny how I have wheeled at all of the major areas and I have never met any of the officials for the SFWDA except you and you get canned. I guess that was too much visibilty for them, gotta stay elusive and mysterious!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
How is thier membership these days as far as numbers? Has it declined in recent years? I would expect it to hit rock bottom, if everyone who supports them would start asking questions, instead of writing a check for nothing.

and...I hate how they charge a club to be added to thier websites list of clubs and then uses that clubs efforts as thier own, when they do nothing.Bullshit!
I think in their hay day they claimed they had 1500 members strong. Now, the last I heard was 325 plus or minus a few. It's funny you mention clubs because they have clubs on their website and in the Trail Mix that haven't paid their dues in a long time. In fact if I dug really hard I bet I could find the exact number of actual paying clubs. Point is the membership is on the decline. I tried, along with a few others, to promote the membership benefits and they actually got a few businesses on board. Their plan is to get more parks/businesses to join in to give Southern members a discount. I don't know the current status but it was in the works at some point.

Quote:
Its funny how I have wheeled at all of the major areas and I have never met any of the officials for the SFWDA except you and you get canned. I guess that was too much visibilty for them, gotta stay elusive and mysterious!
guilty by association. thanks a lot Gary

Last edited by McCracken; 10-04-2010 at 12:53 PM.
McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 104679
Its your own fault, I cant feel sorry for you! haha

but seriously, they really aren't that visible in the community, unless you go to one of thier events, otherwise they're non existent.

I think the south could benefit greatly from an organization like southern but it would have to be structured totally different, with people who are like minded and really care.

HELL, Ive never seen the big dogs of southern on here and this website is a pretty big deal in the offroading world, I couldnt imagine being into offroading of any type and not contributing here. especially if your the pres or VP of an organization like SFWDA. I would at least get on here and defend the organization I was involved with.

Last edited by ROCKRAWL; 10-04-2010 at 02:01 PM.
ROCKRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Quote:

but seriously, they really aren't that visible in the community, unless you go to one of thier events, otherwise they're non existent.

I think the south could benefit greatly from an organization like southern but it would have to be structured totally different, with people who are like minded and really care.

HELL, Ive never seen the big dogs of southern on here and this website is a pretty big deal in the offroading world, I couldnt imagine being into offroading of any type and not contributing here. especially if your the pres or VP of an organization like SFWDA. I would at least get on here and defend the organization I was involved with.
HAve you ever considered starting such an organization?
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 104679
YES! The Southern Offroad Coalition...but its not an easy thing to do and its hardwork if its going to be worth anything and not end up with something like we already have.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 104679
First things first, I make myself laugh

/forum/usa-southeast/922011-official-abolish-sfwda-thread.html
Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:

That's like asking your grandma to get on here and post up. They're old school and that's how they operate. This is how they will continue to operate until someone votes in someone new.

I'll tell you how you get it done and it will work. When they have elections, get the biggest group of members you can and show up. 20-30 ought to do it. When they ask for nominations tell them who you want. At that point have everyone in your group to raise their hands. You win.

I'm not being a smartass either. No one shows to these meetings. No one. On any given day you can have your nominee in office. Have the meeting in NC and you'll have one member be president. Have it TN the next day and you'll have another. It's not like the election of the POTUS. Nobody knows who's out there. They literally find out the day of the elections. It's all based on who shows up and nominates their buddy. If you planned it right, you could sweep the entire leadership out the door in an hour tops.

So with that I'll say if anyone wants to go that route next year. Give me a call because I'm down. You want to make a difference in how Southern will be run. Let's get organized for 1 day.

However, there is a downside to all of this. You may lose all connections, you might lose people who have helped for years, you might be left holding the check. Basically, you hit the reset button and see what happens. Even with that I'd be willing to give it a go.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
First things first, I make myself laugh

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=922011
wow
Old 10-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 104679
We spoke about that before and I wonder how that would turn out? Im down with that but I really dont want to become a member, eventhough, becoming a member to overturn the whole mess would be worth it. Im in
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
The Mother F'n Goose

Member # 16809
Quote:
However, there is a downside to all of this. You may lose all connections, you might lose people who have helped for years, you might be left holding the check. Basically, you hit the reset button and see what happens. Even with that I'd be willing to give it a go.
i am not gonna say it cannot get any worse but it cannot get any worse as far as helping the trails
Originally Posted by Sturgell View Post
No but my post upon further review in the context of this thread is GAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitcj View Post
It works for fatties to hotties...okay so there have been a couple more fatties then hotties...I am person for god sakes. Don't judge me
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-jon View Post
Middel fangers
BigGreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 104679
If I were the SFWDA and its defenders, I think I would quit bringing up Tellico, because Tellico was thier one main focus, the one area that they have countless man hours in, and it is a gigantic failure.