Economy question... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Economy question...

Does anyone have any hard data/facts that shows how hard the local economy has been hit by the Tellico closure?

Quite frankly, I need it for another campaign.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 165148
I don't have any hard data concerning this,, and it might be difficult to accurately calculate, because this closure occured at the same time that the economy took a dive.
I can tell you for a fact that there were: Campground closings,, shops that specilized in 4WD went out of business, ATV/off road bike sales (and service) at motorcycle shops went to nothing,, restaurants,, motels.
There's an Outfitter store in Murphy NC that gave away all of his Tellico Tee shirts. So, I'm sure there's an effect,, just not sure how to measure it.
mxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
Kurt I'd email Danny at Crawford's Campground or send him a PM here (Crawford'sCampground). He's in touch with the locals and a really good guy to talk to. Not sure about specific numbers but he may have something that you could use.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken View Post
Kurt I'd email Danny at Crawford's Campground or send him a PM here (Crawford'sCampground). He's in touch with the locals and a really good guy to talk to. Not sure about specific numbers but he may have something that you could use.
Thanks. BTW: Nice quote in CRAWL Nick.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
BTW: Nice quote in CRAWL Nick.
no problem how do i go about getting a copy of that?

edit: checked with a friend and he says they sell it at the local Ingles.... or used to.

Last edited by McCracken; 08-25-2010 at 12:31 PM.
McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
I looked for some info a year or two ago. Unemployement rate was higer than average and higher than surrounding areas. Also some really crazy crimes were happening. Bank robberies, suicides, meth labs ect.
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 20891
Quote:
Also it's pretty much crippled Danny's business!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 34667
my business is gone. just finished a $347k bankruptcy. put me down for losing about $600k worth of investment and property/equipment since they started closing tellico. the economy certainly didnt help but tellico was the key. bank has the property now. good news is I moved back to fla and got a job as a construction inspector for the state. starting life over has been liberating.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxj View Post
my business is gone. just finished a $347k bankruptcy. put me down for losing about $600k worth of investment and property/equipment since they started closing tellico. the economy certainly didnt help but tellico was the key. bank has the property now. good news is I moved back to fla and got a job as a construction inspector for the state. starting life over has been liberating.
oof!

what did you do at Tellico? You'll have to pardon my ignorance but I recognize your SN but I can't remember what you did.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 102053
Quote:
oof!

what did you do at Tellico? You'll have to pardon my ignorance but I recognize your SN but I can't remember what you did.

Blue Ridge 4X4......Travis, at least your welding table is getting good use!

Last edited by pachary; 08-28-2010 at 06:22 PM.
pachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Hell just pick a number and make it large. The FS didn't use hard data to shut it down and actually made up a bunch of crap along with TU. So just do a best guess estimate. I'm sure you won't have any trouble backing up said claim from the people around Murphy. I mean look at how the Government is “guessing” at how much Obamacare is going to cost. Did they have a clue how much “cash for clunkers” was going to cost? No. Hard data is great to work with but many times there are just too many variables and you have to make a judgment call.
thumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping View Post
Hell just pick a number and make it large. The FS didn't use hard data to shut it down and actually made up a bunch of crap along with TU. So just do a best guess estimate. I'm sure you won't have any trouble backing up said claim from the people around Murphy. I mean look at how the Government is “guessing” at how much Obamacare is going to cost. Did they have a clue how much “cash for clunkers” was going to cost? No. Hard data is great to work with but many times there are just too many variables and you have to make a judgment call.
I see your point but at the same time you don't want to be lumped in there with those idiots.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
I see your point but at the same time you don't want to be lumped in there with those idiots.
The point is that it's almost impossible to put an exact dollar amount on the loss, so estimate it but go on the high side. If asked for proof, just start listing and I'm sure with a little creativity you can justify about any number you through out.

But you’re right, no one wants to be lumped in with those idiots but look at it this way, those idiots are winning at the moment. Why? Because they sensationalize everything and really, what does the general public remember? The logical thought out response or the over the top claim? Which gets more attention?
thumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping View Post
But you’re right, no one wants to be lumped in with those idiots but look at it this way, those idiots are winning at the moment. Why? Because they sensationalize everything and really, what does the general public remember? The logical thought out response or the over the top claim? Which gets more attention?
I'll give you that. I'm just thinking about when people ask to back up the facts it'd be nice to say within a degree of certainty that our numbers are correct and not a fabrication to enduce sympathy.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
Does anyone have any hard data/facts that shows how hard the local economy has been hit by the Tellico closure?

Quite frankly, I need it for another campaign.
Cross post from another thread:
“We were better than last year but not nearly as good as the year before,” said Aurelia Stone, general manager of Best Western in Murphy, citing a relatively modest 4 percent increase over last year’s business.

“I’m hoping that the fall will be a really good season. We took a loss with the close of Tellico. That hurt us really bad. We used to have the Dixie Run. We used to have the [Jeep] Jamboree, and some of those big groups that came in pretty well filled everybody up, and of course with Tellico closed those are gone.”

http://cherokeescout.com/articles/20...e808033820.txt
Alabamatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Your rig sucks

Member # 44115
Send a message via AIM to 5keepers Send a message via Yahoo to 5keepers
Good. I hope the whole town folds up. Where were they when we needed them? Now they need us and we're in Harlan
Tellico Rally post #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckengineered View Post
I accomplished more on the shitter this morning than Southern accomplished through this whole ordeal.
5keepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 83791
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5keepers View Post
Good. I hope the whole town folds up. Where were they when we needed them? Now they need us and we're in Harlan
Don't wish any ill will towards the town of Murphy. It is good to see they realize the impact losing the ORV crowd caused though.
Eventhough is offline   Reply With Quote