Tellico Update 02/27/11 - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 63333
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowjeepCj View Post
It seams to me that the people of Murphy and the surrounding area missed the opportunity to send a message when they did not vote Congressman Schuluer out of office for his stance on the FS action. I have no idea if the business community supports these actions. If they do they can donate to the Recue Tellico fund to keep it moving. I would hope they would be supportive as the closure has cost the local economy more than was projected and I think the business community is feeling the loss. Any help is appreciated.
I do agree that the people of Murphy and the surrounding areas missed the opportunity. I am sure with donating to the Rescue Tellico fund would help but untill these people stand up and help with the cause nothing will ever get done.
We need local support. These are the people that vote in their representives.
We can bitch and moan all we want. Give all the money we can, but untill the people in office realize the people that vote them in want this and they may loose their jobs if it does not happen it will fall on deaf ears.
That does include judges. They are elected officials too.

Last edited by TSEJEEPERS; 03-07-2011 at 11:07 PM.
TSEJEEPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 86685
It's just frustrating to know what TU/SELC got away with.
s10er8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 32566
Not yet. The latest is the USACE is investigating the FS activities for violations as per our filing the NOI under CWA. We will see what happens. No promises but things are moving a bit.
83 CJ 7 258, 4:56's, Lockers, Klune V, cage, 8274, OBA and so on....
90 YJ on tons 3.4 v6 4 link rear, 38 swampers, cage, hyd assist, xdi9000 and so on....
YellowjeepCj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 24075
Quote:
It seams to me that the people of Murphy and the surrounding area missed the opportunity to send a message when they did not vote Congressman Schuluer out of office for his stance on the FS action. I have no idea if the business community supports these actions. If they do they can donate to the Recue Tellico fund to keep it moving. I would hope they would be supportive as the closure has cost the local economy more than was projected and I think the business community is feeling the loss. Any help is appreciated.
What is the sentiment of the buisness owners in Murphy towards the economy and Tellico??? Do they acknowledge that the closure has had an effect on their buisness or do they just chalk it up to the bad economy??? Do they realize they have missed the bus???
big mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 105795
This is my 2 pennies on that the subject of how much you guys are missed! I had a very long conversation with the newly elected County Commissioner David Wood about the soon after "Fired" County Manager David Badger and Tellico OHV situation. David Wood was well aware of how David Badger did not do anything to promote this County for really any type of economic development other that a useless upgrade for our Andrews Airport that no one uses other than the recently not re-elected Sen. Snow. So, with all that said, Yes...everyone one that had something directly to do with the visitors of the Tellico OHV are aware of the huge lack of revenue that this decision had on their business, such as Hotels, Resturants (Mainly Rib Country) and even the manager of WalMart told me that he believes that they have a significant impact as well. As far as the other businesses, they still have no clue how the money stream flows and the majority are out of business anyways. You should see all of the empty spaces in the plazas. Brother's Resturant and plaza is empty. They use the excuse that they needed to relocate into the city limits so they could sell some of that Devils Brew!
I discovered from the very beginning that the people running Murphy and the County had some type of issue with fighting the FS on this and so far the only reason I can come up with is that the waste treatment plant is located on FS poperty. Not sure if that was the only leverage the FS had or if all of these people were just stupid.
I just hope that the investigators are doing their jobs on the OHV area. I have absolutely no background on siltation, but it does not take a scientist to see obvious evidence of silt moving away from the work sites. Like I said Trail#4 is a mess and with the movement of fresh soil from the slopes, frost thaw cycle, Flash flood rain events and no protection from run off there is no way the area is better off than when it was loved and maintained by the people that used it.
One more interesting fact is that I get the AMA rag and it is 2/3 full of "Holy shit the Goverment is closing everthing down to motorized vehicles". We have to stop this crap once and for all!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 105795
MAYBE WE NEED TO PICK A DAY OF RAGE LIKE EVERYONE IN THE MIDDLE EAST! or meet with the FS and ask them if we can plant flowers on the trails. I think all the colors of the RAINBOW would be fitting.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 63333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawfords Campground View Post
MAYBE WE NEED TO PICK A DAY OF RAGE LIKE EVERYONE IN THE MIDDLE EAST! or meet with the FS and ask them if we can plant flowers on the trails. I think all the colors of the RAINBOW would be fitting.
Could do that.
Maybe even do something that someone else suggested way back.
Everyone get 2 dollar bills. Write we miss Tellico on the back. Go to town and spend it on what ever. Let the people who own businesses know what they are missing.
Heck it would not even have to be 2 dollar bills. Any money that is spent in town.
Wonder if you could get that on a penny.
Is Tellico Cabins still around?

Last edited by TSEJEEPERS; 03-11-2011 at 11:39 PM.
TSEJEEPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
"David Wood was well aware of how David Badger did not do anything to promote this County for really any type of economic development other that a useless upgrade for our Andrews Airport that no one uses other than the recently not re-elected Sen. Snow. "

I own a plane and fly weekly. I was looking for a place the buy to keep my buggy in the area to wheel on the weekend. I know at least 2 other pilots that were looking to do the same thing. One guy has a jet!

If the dumb asses had helped keep the trails open I pormise that airport would get more business
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 105795
Tellico cabins is still there, however everything has changed for Chuck and Helen. They split up and the last I talked to Chuck he pretty much has become a hermit. He told me that he has no internet and lives up top alone. I know that he has started doing sign work and has been working back and fourth in Florida too. He has a couple cabins rented with month to month people as well and doing his best to stay afloat like the rest of us.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 83791
Times are hard enough as it is. We don't need our government making them even harder.
Eventhough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 63333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawfords Campground View Post
Tellico cabins is still there, however everything has changed for Chuck and Helen. They split up and the last I talked to Chuck he pretty much has become a hermit. He told me that he has no internet and lives up top alone. I know that he has started doing sign work and has been working back and fourth in Florida too. He has a couple cabins rented with month to month people as well and doing his best to stay afloat like the rest of us.
Wow hope things work out for Chuck and Helen.
They are good people.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #37 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31763
I was through Murphy last Sunday, and the difference in the town before and after the closing is visible. Much less traffic and activity. The whole situation is pitiful.

I spent my vacation and several hundred dollars this week in a different town when I otherwise would have been at Tellico 'wheeling and spending money in town.

I drive it like I have to pay to fix it...
craigellis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 32566
NOI CWA Citizen Suit related to Trail Obliteration project

http://www.sfwda.org/docs/SFWDA-Citi...tr_24Jan11.pdf

Notice letter Filed January 25th 2011. Please read.
90 YJ on tons 3.4 v6 4 link rear, 38 swampers, cage, hyd assist, xdi9000 and so on....
Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 165148
Quote:
http://www.sfwda.org/docs/SFWDA-Citi...tr_24Jan11.pdf

Notice letter Filed January 25th 2011. Please read.
Wow!!! That was interesting to read.
mxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 51984
I want to believe that the FS doesn't have a leg to stand on with all those violations, kudos to Southern, now hopefully every one can see there money and efforts finally did get put to use.
250f4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #41 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 24075
Ok,so say their is judgement against the FS,then what???? Who will hold them accountable??? Whats it gonna mean for us????? Would it be a bargainin chip for any future OHV trails???? Has anybody heard what TU's response is to all of the sediment that is now bein put into the water???? With as many eye's/ears as they seem to have at Tellico surely they know about it.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 32566
Quote:
Ok,so say their is judgement against the FS,then what???? Who will hold them accountable??? Whats it gonna mean for us????? Would it be a bargainin chip for any future OHV trails???? Has anybody heard what TU's response is to all of the sediment that is now bein put into the water???? With as many eye's/ears as they seem to have at Tellico surely they know about it.
All depends on the judge as far as what a judgment might mean.

All of us will need to hold them accountable.

Hopefully access to OHV trails somewhere in the system.

Yes.

TU is quiet. I don't think they wanted complete closure.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
TU is quiet. I don't think they wanted complete closure.
bullshit. If they hadn't wanted complete closure they could have done this outside of the court system by working directly with the groups responsible for trail maintenance.

They knew it was all or nothing when it went to court, and that's why they pursued it so vigorously.

The logging pictures I saw made me sad.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 32566
No, you are wrong. SELC went for the throat, not TU.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
No, you are wrong. SELC went for the throat, not TU.
you are correct. SELC pushed it into court, but wasn't it at the behest of TU? Perhaps it got a bit out of hand for TU at that point, but they had to know who they were dealing with.

I really kind of just lost interest, it's clear to me that Tellico is lost forever. We'll just have to pick up the fight somewhere else.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #46 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 24075
Wonder at what point the SELC will kick TU under the bus.Those guys have got to know it's comin.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 32566
Probably a matter of time
Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 105795
Just a little side bar, but TU was in the paper crying over the closure of a Trout Hatchery somewhere in North GA. They are pulling out all of the statistical information of economic impact to get the people to pressure the government to fund the thing. It is kind of ironic they sound just like the offroad crowd as Tellico was under attack! Who would have thought that the Trout would be under attack. It sure would have been nice to have worked with the Tellico OHV users and then we could have had their back when they needed help. I guess they thought no one would attack their form of recreation.
I totally disagree with the notion that TU didn't want the closure of the area. Squeek was the main man pushing that charge and they made a deal with the devil(SEIU) to make it so. I read their forum posts and articles during this attack as well. The only time they made a statement that they didn't want a total closure was when we would point the finger at them, but would just say the whole park is an environmental disaster and we just want it fixed. A political spin, kinda like Sen Snow saying "I support the off road park, just not the traffic".
This my friends is just a little taste of what the extreme left has in store for us all. Can't wait until the Lefties are able to get the EPA to regulate dust particulate in the air caused from dirt roads. That will be the end of off pavement recreation all together.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
is anyone going to bring up the new trails they're trying to open nearby?

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109188

could mean good things for you Danny
Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 105795
Not a member of that Forum at the moment. Not sure if you are talking about the Thrasher property that backs up to Tellico OHV, but I heard from a little birdie that there are some trails being built in there as we speak. There are two entrances from over this way. One off boiling springs and the other off trail #6.