Stolen Toyota Cat - Davis CA - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Stolen Vehicles/Parts
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Displaced Hillbilly

Member # 42484
Stolen Toyota Cat - Davis CA

Just got home from being out of town for Christmas. Tweakers stole the cat out of my 92 extra cab sometime between 12/19/11 and 12/29/11.

Unbolted it thankfully. Broke as hell this is the last thing I need.

Fuck tweakers
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 363
My buddy had his stolen in Davis 3 times in a single year. They know you'll have a new one soon.
My bro had his entire system yanked out of his Tacoma from the header back mid December as well ( mid town sac). He welded a crossmember in to cover the cat so they cut the entire thing out.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Displaced Hillbilly

Member # 42484
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchucker View Post
My buddy had his stolen in Davis 3 times in a single year. They know you'll have a new one soon.
My bro had his entire system yanked out of his Tacoma from the header back mid December as well ( mid town sac). He welded a crossmember in to cover the cat so they cut the entire thing out.
That is what I am afraid of. I am petitioning the apartment complex to install cameras. Also sounds like after I install a new one, I will be spending many long nights waiting for them to come back.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
savage

Member # 1730
This shit is rampant in sacramento, the shop I work for doesn't even really do exhaust and we've seen toyota after toyota with the cats cut off in the same manner. I just did a sequoia last week, no aftermarket cats available and just the cats were over $3000, plus the o2 sensors and repairs to the wiring.

If I had a 4x4 toyota that I had to park out where the cranksters could get near it I'd take the cats off and just ignore the check engine light. The converter theft problem is going to get way worse before it gets better. Seems like the meth-robots haven't noticed the giant $5000 converters under all the new diesel trucks yet but you bet they will and it'll be on like donkey kong after that.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
big bird

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
After I had my cat stolen a couple years ago, once it got replaced, I welded a good length of 5/8" steel cable around the entire exhaust from the manifold to the muffler. It's wrapped down and back twice around the pipe, welded every few inches. It won't be easy to cut off, and it damn sure can't be unbolted.

And just for fun, I welded a length of 3/16" 1" strap from the manifold to the muffler as well.

One day here recently--within the past 6 months--I saw a 4runner leaving a parking lot with the all-to-familiar sound of a missing cat. My 4runner was in the same lot, and my cat is still there.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 207583
Being in the SacTown area, Ive had alot friends with thier cats stolen. Its a huge commodity for bums to make quick cash.
SacTownTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24852
aunt just moved there ...first week they stole hers off her tacoma.....she said "welcome to sacramento" ....those are the perfect reasons for a law that "we the people should be able to shot those tweekers that steal with a bb gun".....lol.....nothing that will hurt them but makes smoking dope a little harder.........."youll take an eye out"....tweeker bastards!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 24852
btw: tweeker robbed an ex g/f about 10 years ago in front of taco bell with a knife about an hour and half north of sac ... he got a whole $5 from her.....
Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 24852
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotasmob View Post
That is what I am afraid of. I am petitioning the apartment complex to install cameras. Also sounds like after I install a new one, I will be spending many long nights waiting for them to come back.
when installing new one have them weld in the new cat......alot more noise coming from hack saw.....they look for fast targets unbolt and go.....i bet if everyone welded there nuts and bolts to cat this wouldnt be an issue....
Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 23319
Weld the nuts and put tack welds on the flanges, but they still cut mine off with the O2 sensor to boot. Second one in three years. I am going to wild in some 1/4 inch steel cable along the lenght of my exhaust, see if this will stop them.
Arden Arcade area.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
I think toyota should do something about it. Theya re too accessible and too easy to get to.

Do other brands get as much attention by the tweakers?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
all you sacramento boys should see the guy Specialized Exhaust in elk grove (off of grant line). he does a weld on 1/4" rebar on two side of the exhaust from the downpipes past the trans. makes it a bitch for the tweaks to remove easily even with a sawzall. i work at toyota and several people here have had that done with good results for not that much $. the good thing is, it still can be removed for trans work, but trying to remove it without it being on a rack is damn near impossible. keeps them from using the chain wrench muffler cutter to steal it silently.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com

now buy this guys cool chit^^^
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
I think toyota should do something about it. Theya re too accessible and too easy to get to.

the new ones are mounted on the manifolds, damn near impossible to cut out.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com

now buy this guys cool chit^^^
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
might be fun to do a bait truck and see what happens. Or why does LE not do that? Bust a few and word might get out. And, WTF is with the salvage yards buying these? Do they not ask Qs?

For me to recycle a bag of enpty beer cans here in Reno have to show ID, leave a thumb print and seems like 20 questions-- all for fourty cents/lb. But then some SOB prys off an historical marker plaque or brass vases from the cemetary and scraps it easy. Or the recyclers are in on the scam.

Life Member BRC
Cal 4 Wheel.
ECV #3691
www.reno4x4.com
renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Displaced Hillbilly

Member # 42484
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lockdtoy View Post
when installing new one have them weld in the new cat......alot more noise coming from hack saw.....they look for fast targets unbolt and go.....i bet if everyone welded there nuts and bolts to cat this wouldnt be an issue....
Thats what I am going to have them do. I haven't been able to afford a new cat until this week so its just been sitting there. Hoping that will make it a little harder for them. Like the cop told me, anything you can do to slow them down helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothergrim View Post
Weld the nuts and put tack welds on the flanges, but they still cut mine off with the O2 sensor to boot. Second one in three years. I am going to wild in some 1/4 inch steel cable along the lenght of my exhaust, see if this will stop them.
Arden Arcade area.
Gonna have my exhaust guy weld some rebar on to make it harder for em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post

I'm not sure, the cop told me pretty much every cat theft in Davis was off a Toyota, and that the older ones got hit more than the newer ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
all you sacramento boys should see the guy Specialized Exhaust in elk grove (off of grant line). he does a weld on 1/4" rebar on two side of the exhaust from the downpipes past the trans. makes it a bitch for the tweaks to remove easily even with a sawzall. i work at toyota and several people here have had that done with good results for not that much $. the good thing is, it still can be removed for trans work, but trying to remove it without it being on a rack is damn near impossible. keeps them from using the chain wrench muffler cutter to steal it silently.
Good info, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
the new ones are mounted on the manifolds, damn near impossible to cut out.
Good to see Toyota addressed the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
might be fun to do a bait truck and see what happens. Or why does LE not do that? Bust a few and word might get out. And, WTF is with the salvage yards buying these? Do they not ask Qs?

For me to recycle a bag of enpty beer cans here in Reno have to show ID, leave a thumb print and seems like 20 questions-- all for fourty cents/lb. But then some SOB prys off an historical marker plaque or brass vases from the cemetary and scraps it easy. Or the recyclers are in on the scam.
I wish. The officer I spoke to said in Sacramento the police had made recyclers refuse cats for a while, but eventually let them go back to business. Aside from entrapment I don't know what they can do. The cop seemed pretty frustrated with how little they are able to do about this.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 130327
Bump. Tweakers just stole the cat out of my 86 yota tonight in east Sacramento. Fucking happy birthday to me.
Tito916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 210341
Wow, exciting. Going to be moving back to davis from sac. In sac I get to be in a garage, but not when I move back to Davis. It will be in the driveway. My room will be right by the drive way, I'll have to invest in a security camera, and some shells for my shot gun, just in case. I got no problem winging some scum.
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1722
Chevy van

The sawed the cats out of a brand new van of ours here in Paso Robles. They also drilled a hole in the gas tank. I think anything that is easy toget under, they will steel the cats. Strange thing is, I have 4 failed cats, and I cant get anyone to give me any cash for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.