Lost/Stolen CO2 tank at Glamis over Thanksgiving - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Stolen Vehicles/Parts
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
Lost/Stolen CO2 tank at Glamis over Thanksgiving

I lost my aluminum CO2 tank at Glamis (Imperial Sand Dunes) on Monday night (around midnight give or take an hour or two)--hey no clock in the trail rig--well I guess I could have turned on the GPS but we had just got there and still needed to install the new rear shocks! But we were so excited that we took the truck out anyway. Well we were heading back to camp eastbound on the "Sand Highway" that parallell's the highway that leads to the Glamis store and we happened across two guys in a white Toyota late model (89 up or maybe a Tacoma). They were stock and we were probably the only two vehicles out that night in that area at the moment. Anyway we aired down there tires down and they were on there way. I was talking to the passanger I think and he was from San Ramon--anyway shortly there after we were heading east again back to camp and hit a big bump which we did not see as it was after a small drop off in the sand highway--since we had not installed the shocks yet a bunch of stuff not tied in could be heard bouncing up as the truck oscillated after bottoming out. I looked back and did not see anything as we had two bucket seats installed in the bed--usually there are no seats and no tailgate. Since the gate was fine I figured nothing fell out! I was wrong--we turned south into the dunes and promply blew a bead and realized the tank had fallen out. We aired up the tire with the electric pump knowing we had to get out to the sand highway as quickly as possible to recover the tank. We could hear no one out in that direction so we felt confident it was lost at the last big bump as we had used it a few times already as we seemed to have leaks in the beads of all four tires from dirt and rocks from our last Rubicon trip in September. We headed out and saw the remains of someother stuff that had bounced out also so we picked cans and stuff up. We looked at the prints in the sand and they were the same width (Toyota) as ours and looked to be the same tire as the guys we had helped out earlier. They were the only one's behind us after we helped them out. We had to head back to camp as we were almost out of gas--I would have followed the tracks back to recover the CO2 tank if I could and the fuel pump for the 55 gallon drum was burried under all the firewood in the bed of the truck. Later I found out that my friend Tom whom was with us saw the guys we had helped pull out a spot lamp and get out of there truck at the spot where we had bottomed out--he had also headed back to camp as the Banshee was also out of fuel but thought they had stopped to see how far we had jumped when we flew off the drop off as he had seen me look back to see if anything had fallen out. He also had flown off the same dip in the road but he had good racing style shocks and I had none!
So I'm looking for the owner of a white late model Toyota pickup--can't remember if its std cab or extra cab but I believe it is stock no lift with the factory alloy wheels and what I believe were 10.5/31 x 15 tires or similar. It had a chrome prerunner sytle front
pushbar with two lights mounted on it angled out to the sides better side illumination and was quite clean with two white guys in it. The passanger was from San Ramon and was friends with the driver whom I did not talk to but I can get more details if needed from my buddies--I had stayed in the truck as my plugs needed replacement and the truck would not idle and was hard to start--I guess they got loaded up on the Rubicon. Offering a $50 reward as necessary for the sucessful recovery. The tank is natural aluminum and is quite beat up on the tank and the handle and has a broken regulator psi guage (well if it works its because I installed the replacement but I don't think I have yet). It has Arc Gas stickers on it and has an 11/02 marking on the tank with red paint on it and was at least 90% full as it was filled the Friday before I lost it.

Thanks,
Jason
Brutpwr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2003, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
Wink

More details: lost the tank on Monday Nov 25th and it had an orange urethane hose that was kinked near the regulator with a small leak with 1/2" quick release fittings for higher flow. This is the third time I've lost the tank out of the rig at Glamis and yes I have the Powertank holder but if you hit a big enough bump it will pop right out! We even have it documented on video tape once when it popped open and I lost it.

Thank again,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2003, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
Wink

I guess no one knows of these guys... Getting ready for Glamis a Glamis trip again...

Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.