Theft Prevention Idea - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Stolen Vehicles/Parts
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2003, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 22356
Send a message via AIM to an0iance Send a message via Yahoo to an0iance
Theft Prevention Idea

If I am going to be parking a car that I've invested lots of money and time into, and if it won't go inside a garage all the time- maybe I want to park it outside for a bit- I'm going to padlock it down.

First, I'll have a bent in half 10' iron rod set into the concrete, shaped so only around 3" stick up, sort of like an upside down U.

Then the body of my vehicle will have a stucturally integral loop of steel or iron. If they take it out or take out what it's attached to, they just removed what's needed to make it run.

Insert a super super heavy plastic coated cable and ultimate padlock, and you have something that's not going anywhere fast.

Even if they pulled up with a trailer and stuff to lift it on, they'd have to deal with that setup. Oooo, and did I mention that the rod in the ground would be "wiggleable" around 1 cm, and when wiggled, sets off an alarm?

This would give me time to grab an assault weapon, race outside, and start dropping car thieves. (I hated that fast and the furious movie- I kept rooting for semi drivers)
thats too bad. theyd be a whole lot cooler if they did.

Last edited by an0iance; 08-29-2003 at 05:43 PM.
an0iance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2003, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20331
your gonna bolt your rig to the concrete? Are you paranoid about theifs that bad or do you live in the barrio? That is the funniest theft prevention related thing i've ever heard.
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2003, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 22356
I wouldn't say bolt it... I'd say securely attach it to something that's sunk into concrete.

This was the natural theft prevention idea that came into my mind after reading every single auto theft horror story on this forum- not only will my rig have thumbprint ID required to start, it'll have three threeway switches (can be bypassed by thumbprint), and some tricky fuses, and devious theft prevention setups for all the expensive parts.

Think about it- just weld a loop of steel into your frame, sink a loop of steel deeeeep into a concrete block in the ground in your driveway, and get one of those 3/4" thick cables and lock that mofo.

Then rig the loop in the ground to be moveable- but just a tad, so that when they wiggle it before they go to cut it, an alarm sounds. Electrifying the loop would work. It could be your 'battery charger' for legal purposes.

Then those thieves with forklifts and flatbed trucks would be oh so stymied.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20491
Escape from NY while you can still drive away .
Old 08-30-2003, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 22356
Stop clouding the issue- no one can come up with a way for a thief to steal a car protected by this very possible system.

Old 08-31-2003, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1129
Thumb Print Identification?

Dude, you watch way to much TV. Come back to reality....

Hashtags are for fags
Benny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2003, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 40
car theft is no laughing matter, but this guy is
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR]. [url]www.mudnworks.com[/url] [email]mud@mudnworks.com[/email]
[URL="http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654231"]Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle[/URL]
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2003, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20114
Send a message via AIM to Overbear
thumb print.....

Ok reality check for you. Want to know how simple it is to steal a truck.

1) run 10guage cable from positive battery terminal to coil, bump start truck...your gone.

now, if you want to slow them down. Not stop, your not gona stop someone who wants your truck. You can however get them fustrated enought to look for easer targets.

1) Ground switch. Same thing used on fire trucks and rigs. Turn the nob, and the ground is isolated. No ground = no power. I have mine mounted in a hiden place.

2) Fuel kill: quite simple, put in a fuel silinoid somewhere in line. Install the relay so that you must hold in a button as you turn the key to start the truck.

3) Good old standard motorcycle wheel lock: If you are super paranoid, run a motorcycle lock thru your rim, around your frame and around the tire or back thru the rim. Only way they can move it now, is to drag it.

“Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.”-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2003, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9070
Send a message via AIM to jekbrown Send a message via Yahoo to jekbrown
as one facet of a theft prevention system, what do you guys think about making your tcase shifter removable? Shift it in neutral, twist the handle off and go. Make it so the part that stays attached to the tcase doesnt even extend into the cab. I dunno about your guy's np205s, but there is no way in hell you shift mine without the leverage the shifter provides. At any rate, this naturally wouldnt stop someone from dragging it onto a trailer... but driving it away would be a pita unless you could jerry rig something... which I dont think to many car theives do on the spot.. they wanna get it and go.

j

[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown]my 85 K5[/url]
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2003, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
vb

Member # 15547
i have a tj and the steering wheel has a ujoint on the inside of the rig. i bought a long shank lock that goes through the joint and then i attach it to the brake rod above the peddle. darn hard to get cutters up in there and the theif will freek when the thing wont turn or stop. got a few more things too but.....

Last edited by vb; 09-14-2003 at 08:13 PM.
vb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2003, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 21648
My torch will bypass your hoop, a quick cut on your vehicle and vola the gas from it won't even wiggle your concrete hoop either. If its worth it thier gonna take it.

damn r key keeps stickin!

Last edited by Rocksurfer; 09-14-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Rocksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2003, 09:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Hahahahahah..... funny

I look at my Unimog and just laugh. Poor thief will die of starvation before he can figure out how to steal it.

1. Battery cutt of switch. OEM and hidden
2. I got 7 levers between my seats. They may be able to get it in gear forward but not reverse, that takes a certain combination of gear levers to activate.
3. They wont even know how to start it. Diesel engine with seperate items to activate things like Glow plugs, starter, etc .
4. Kill switch that wont let the motor start.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]

Last edited by coachgeo; 09-21-2003 at 09:59 AM.
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2003, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 15799
Um, all this fancy wild chit and no one even mentions a removable steering wheel.
Carthieves want something they can take fast with little or no trouble. Tools that fit in thier pockets to be inconspicuous is how most can be found. Very few but the bold or determined will tote around a steering wheel for any one particular car/truck/rig.
fractalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2003, 05:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 18765
Send a message via Yahoo to FX4CRAWLER
Thats what Lock grips are for, throw a couple of those babies on a steering wheel shaft and voila! instant steering wheel.

Here is my professional opinion, being a peace officer i hope i have one. Anybody with a slim jim can get into your car, so dont even try to stop that one. The best way to keep them from starting your car is to disable the battery and fuel.
And the best way to keep them from towing it away, is to put it in a place where it is impossible to get a truck or trailer near it.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 194
I depend on my alarm.......alarm goes off and I'm outside with 10 friends in one hand and another 10 in the other. I really hate thieves..had my shit stolen more than once.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 15091
How bout this FAWK car thieves. When it gets bad you have to use desperate measures, like the dark side!
Attached Images

Last edited by Plasm96; 10-07-2003 at 05:31 PM.
Plasm96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2003, 12:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 9070
Send a message via AIM to jekbrown Send a message via Yahoo to jekbrown
i dunno if big channel locks would work on the grant steering wheel kit that fits on normal steering columns. they make 2 kinds, one that is sorta like a race car removable... it'd be easy to use pliers on it... the other one though, i dont think there is anything to lock onto (inside the cab anyway). could be wrong...

j

[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown]my 85 K5[/url]
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2003, 12:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 15697
Quote:
Originally posted by fractalman
Um, all this fancy wild chit and no one even mentions a removable steering wheel.
Carthieves want something they can take fast with little or no trouble. Tools that fit in thier pockets to be inconspicuous is how most can be found. Very few but the bold or determined will tote around a steering wheel for any one particular car/truck/rig.
I made one.

There is a thread in the toy section. Its really simple and uses some male-male pipe connectors and a bolt, the head of the bolt sticks just out over the steering wheel so you can turn it. You *might* be able to use vice grips. It'd be a b!tch though.

ITS NOT ABOUT MAKING YOUR TRUCK IMPOSSIBLE TO STEAL. THats a pretty tough deed. Its about making it more difficult to steal than the one down the street. Thieves arent going to light up torches, or rewire your ignition or bother with vice grips. They'er going to go for the car who always leaves its windows down and that the already have a key for (IE Toyotas where there are about 5 different shapes of keys and each one can pretty much be used on one with a similar shaped key.)

I've actually thought of what this guy (thread starter) said. I'd never say it though!
Old 10-14-2003, 01:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 5688
Send a message via ICQ to jeeper01ca Send a message via Yahoo to jeeper01ca
Sat. monitoring system

Why don't you simply go with a satelite monitoring system, if the car/truck/Jeep/SUV running and without the key, it will set the alarm on with you and the central, but even if they tow it, there is an every 5 minutes signal being sent indicating where it is.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 23922
NO no no, i got a better one, rig up a remote controlled pipe bomb with bits and pieces of all that shrapnal that you get from working on your rig. you can use an RC car controller and rig an ignitor from one of those gay ass toy rockets you see people playing with at the park. they are triggered by electrical current. when you push the joy stick up, you get a signal to the device that controls forward motion, in turn sends current to the fuse, and the theif gets an ass load full of what he is trying to steal, guaranteed to stop him dead in his trax! works great for people who live in the country, where the signal can travel farther. you can also mount the rc car antenna on you car for better reception. plus you wont have to deal with the thumb print id system
toyboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2003, 01:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 24139
Due to the fact that it would blow the ass out of the thief, resulting in thief ass all over your interior, and due to the fact that a pipe bomb would most likely level your ride or at least make it alot airier and roomier, I highly recommend your theft deterrent system to all Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, BMW, and Volkswagen SUV owners.

Last edited by CMN2GTU; 11-12-2003 at 01:26 PM.
CMN2GTU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2003, 03:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 4404
better anti-theft idea!

With the whole chaining the axle to the concrete idea it sounds good and all but what if they try to gun it and end up snapping your axle in half? Why dont you just take your axles in the house with you?

Why dont you just install a lethal injection needle on a raise lower system so if they get in it and the truck is hot wired it raises up and kills them as they try to start it. (just make sure you disarm your system before getting in)

All though I'ts not really a big deal to me becasue if some one was to try and steal my rig they would have to bring a ladder with them and the racket they would make getting in would give me time enough to get out there and deter them from their previous plans.

Keep thinging

4X4Freak
4X4Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2003, 04:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 24139
The problem really with any theft deterrent that is harmful or fatal is that you are then liable for damages to the same person commiting the crime.

Yeah you read right: if someone in the act of commiting a crime against your property is injured or killed, they or their survivors can go after you for damages.
CMN2GTU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2003, 05:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 24610
Send a message via Yahoo to mutant-jimbo
i think i will just buy a super fawkin' insane dog. doesn't matter what kind, just has to be viciously insane. then i will build a little doghouse in the back of my blazer. next i will make the viciously insane dog wear a bullit proof outfit made of the most futuristic materials. then i will dig a very very sdeep moat around said blazer with all kinds of barbed wire and pungie stakes, dipped in my own shit. next i will build a roofing system (so a helicoptor cant airlift it and the viciously insane dog out of there) on the roof i will station a dozen of my best men, well-trained and armed with semi-automatic assualt rifles and night vision. that ought to keep those assholes from my $1000 truck.
mutant-jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2003, 09:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 25124
Mutant, I have been reading alot on this forum, but didn't join until a few minutes ago. Your post has me ROTFLMAO. Keep em coming.
CiskoKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.