Theft Proof??? - How to keep the thieves at bay. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Stolen Vehicles/Parts
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2003, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19609
Theft Proof???

Has anyone hooked up an electronic fuel pump with a cut-off switch? Similar to an ignition cut-off? I want to hook one up since I got my truck back from those bitch-ass thieves. I want it 100% theft proof & I dont think an ignition cut-off is enough. I dont have EFI so I'll have to buy an electronic one and hook it up. Too damn bad we cant have the theft proof they have in Russia where it burns the thieves legs w/ propane upon stealing it!!!!! Anyone have any suggestions??????

Libbys@insicabling.com

Thanks!!
Schnabe420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5638
mine has standard alarm system with "zones" so i can park topless without problem, also has a pump cutoff hooked to a magnet sensor, and none of my friends found it. Next i'd like to make a fingerprint starter using those laptop switch. So you need to find the magnet to turn on fuel pump, and find the fingerprints switch to start the vehicule.. on top of desabling the standard alarm... should be fine for a while.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11362
Send a message via AIM to ih4x4 Send a message via Yahoo to ih4x4
there is allways a way
a friend recently had his 4x4 truck stolen from infront of his house and stripped it had the stearing colum intact, the ignition keys had chipps in them so you had to have the key to start it,
they had to have used a wheel dolly or trailer to move it
Old 06-28-2003, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 15697
Quote:
Originally posted by ih4x4
there is allways a way
a friend recently had his 4x4 truck stolen from infront of his house and stripped it had the stearing colum intact, the ignition keys had chipps in them so you had to have the key to start it,
they had to have used a wheel dolly or trailer to move it
Thats always the other way; but it become to be so much effort after a while the chances are GREATLY reduced.

I made a removable steering wheel Sure, they could put on a big old pair of vice grips and go like that BUT

1-It'd be tough to drive like that
2-Would get you pulled over
and

3-The idea isnt to make the car INVULNERABLE to theft, only to make the truck/car down the street that much easier to steal than yours
(Not that I'd rather see my neighbor screwed, in a perfect world it wouldnt be an issue, but If I had to choose between my truck and someone elses.... )

Dave
Old 06-30-2003, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
#1 BURRITO IN NM!!!!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
ok heres the list of cutoffs i hed in my rig.
1- switch on fuel pump.
2- battery cut off (on ground side, alot of thieves wont look @ grounds)
3- coil cut off.
4- all switches were 3 way switches that had to be in the right spot to work. and all very hidden.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 170
wire in a simple boat interlock clip to whatever signal you want to block, the simple coil one is good, make the strap long so when you get jacked your free and clear, just add a cap to make it a time delay....mine has various switches and you need to know the series in order to start, not difficult or easy either....
Old 07-08-2003, 06:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20114
Send a message via AIM to Overbear
I run a basic alarm, with cutoffs on the fuel and starter. I use a breaklock (small key devise that goes into your breakline. Lock it, pump the brakes once and it aint going no where)

I recently started useing a large motercycle lock on one front rim too. I put it thru the tire when the trucks gona sit for a few days, around the frame, and lock. The way I figure it, soon as they see all that they are gona look for a easer truck to steal.

I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature.-Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5431
Send a message via AIM to ROCKPIMP
I just have a standard alarm with ignition kill. But im planning on adding a GPS tracking system. Its only $400 with no monthly fees. WIll never have to worry about my truck again. And if you leave it parked for long periods of time you can call the company that makes the unit and if your truck moves 1/4 of a mile from that spot they will call the cops for you. I guess that would be cool if you were out of town, or left your truck at the airport. But like you guys mentioned above. Theres always a way. My buddys car was dragged onto a flat bed trailer and towed away in the middle of the night.
ROCKPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 15697
Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKPIMP
I just have a standard alarm with ignition kill. But im planning on adding a GPS tracking system. Its only $400 with no monthly fees. WIll never have to worry about my truck again. And if you leave it parked for long periods of time you can call the company that makes the unit and if your truck moves 1/4 of a mile from that spot they will call the cops for you. I guess that would be cool if you were out of town, or left your truck at the airport. But like you guys mentioned above. Theres always a way. My buddys car was dragged onto a flat bed trailer and towed away in the middle of the night.
The GPS deal is pretty much the BEST way. Its pretty damn expensive though (But less than a new truck!!!)

Also; how easy/hard is it to take out the gps system and leave it on the ground?

Dave
Old 07-13-2003, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 5431
Send a message via AIM to ROCKPIMP
Well the stereo shop I used to work at would remove the whole dash and put it behind the gauge cluster with a battery back up. Plus nobody knows you have it. So its pretty fail safe.
ROCKPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 15697
Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKPIMP
Well the stereo shop I used to work at would remove the whole dash and put it behind the gauge cluster with a battery back up. Plus nobody knows you have it. So its pretty fail safe.
Thats true, and its doubtful they'll expect any of my trucks to have them, or most of our trucks.. since they're well.... 'loved'

Dave
Old 08-30-2003, 03:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
ZUK

Member # 3301
Schnabe420---your idea is a good one.....and a cheap one so it should be popular. A cut-off switch on the efi pump is simple and the switch can be hidden in other places other than the dash/under dash/glove compartment.....someplace where even if you are being watched you could disceetly set it. Having the cut-off is also good if you are in a precarious wheelin position where you want to use just the starter to move you to a safer zone without the engine trying to fire up.

A cut-off switch is effective against the redneck dumbass kids that would 99% of the time steal a regular Toyota. Pros could easily defeat most anything but don't be flattered thinkin one is gonna go for yours. You probably won't know the the little twirps are stealin it unless you hear the starter crankin. Even with a siren, you might not hear the alarm if you parked around the corner or you're in the department store....BUT if you are somewhat serious about confronting the little rascals then SILENT alarms are available where you carry a belt pager good for about a mile or 2 reception.

AND you could easily improve on the simple fuel pump cut-off such that if the switch is not activated AND the starter engages....that it causes the horn to lock on(basic relay wiring). That way, the dumbass runs off without having any further chance to mess with your rig.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 22356
Send a message via AIM to an0iance Send a message via Yahoo to an0iance
Brilliant. Someone should compile a faq of low cost security measures that can be taken to protect a vehicle, complete with wiring diagrams and instructions.

Hopefully no one who steals cars would read it
thats too bad. theyd be a whole lot cooler if they did.
an0iance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 10:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 4882
Here's what I did a couple of months back to my 82. Got a three port fuel switch solenoid for an 80 Chev p/u with dual tanks. Watch fuel pressure if using on EFI pumps! I used a 4 pole relay, but a two pole will do. You use one pole of the relay to seal it self in. The other is in series with with the solenoid coil. The coil should be run off of 12 V ignition only. The solenoid draws about .6 A. The can kill the battery if not run for a week or so. So the solenoid will always drop out when the ignition is turned off.

Run the feed from Aux port. Plug the Main port with a hose and a bolt or something.. That way the solenoid has to be picked up to delivver fuel! The real secret is the relay. It's coil is run from 12 V live via one of it's own contacts. It's other "A" contact picks up the fuel solenoid. I ran a push button switch using the closed ("B") contact in series with this relay. When pressed the relay will drop out and prevent the fuel solenoid from ever picking up. If someone cuts the battery cable, the relay will also drop out. I also rana cantact from my alarm in series with the relay. You then have to run a rest switch using an open ("A) contact in parallel with the "kill" switches/other relays to pick it back up.

If they bypass the alarm the truck will start for about a min or so they she dies. You could use the kill switch if in a car jacking situation if you can reach the switch. Bad guy gets away from harms way then the truck/car dies.

This is what is called a fail safe relay. We used relays like this all the time to protect big hydro electric generators. If power was interupted to the "protection" devices, the fail safe nature of the relays would shut things down!

I should have added a cap to the reset switch that way they would have to hold it down for a preset time to enable the relay again. Next time.

Mount the fuel cut solenoid above the fuel tank, hidden if possble. This is a cheap and simple solution that most thieves won't expect.

83 Toy to be restored
82 Toy daily driver
jason W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 03:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 22456
Just make a big ol' boot for the tire that ties to the axle. It can be a severe pain in the ass to do anything with it at that point, even drag it onto a trailer. I have seen some of the local muscle cars with those things around the wheel to stop anyone from stealing it.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 9070
Send a message via AIM to jekbrown Send a message via Yahoo to jekbrown
removeable steering wheel, removable t-case shifter, lowjack, decent alarm system, brake pedal lock, starter and fuel kill switches, big azz chain running through a rim and around the frame, locked in a garage which also happens to be the place where your 2 rottweilers sleep, motion-activated surveilance cams. that ought to do it. If that doesnt seem like enough, it shouldnt be to hard to make some of those steel post things that the city uses to block roads they dont want cars on... they slide into steel sleeves that are baried in concrete and have a padlock that is inside it and unreachable by bolt cutters... put 3 or 4 of them just inside your garage door and you're set.

j

[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown]my 85 K5[/url]

Last edited by jekbrown; 09-12-2003 at 12:18 AM.
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 18369
Coil Negitave wire to a grounded kill switch and a factory steering wheel lock with tires pointed at the curb oh yea a big ass blinking LED should be fine.
Wazzobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 23133
Theft proof?

Down where i live no mater what type theft proof you have they will steal it. I had pump shutoff switch under dash and under hood, eletronic key switch (keycard system card must be in to start), Manual tranny lock, and gater chain (oil field chain) around 8" steel post in carport. took them 45min and loaded on flat trailer with cutting torch and winch. when jeep was recovered switches still in cutoff place, tranny lock still on,gater chain awrapped around fron bumper. no matter how much theft prevention you have if they want it they will take it.....

sold what was left from jeep and bought another proj to start..

now i park it in my garage and keep my rifle close by the bed.....( only theft protection i use now)
91xjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 15697
Re: Theft proof?

Quote:
Originally posted by 91xjjeep
no matter how much theft prevention you have if they want it they will take it.....
Did you not notice the other person who got flamed for doing this same thing? There is probably something you could have done. The reason I like the slow blow kill is that they realize its NOT hard to steal, so they just drive away with it, then it dies in the middle of the intersection and they run.

and keep all your negative stuff out of here. We dont want to hear it.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 23777
the best idea is to drive a rig like SR5Dave's. who the fuck would want to take that?
n2audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:16 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 19609
SR5DAVE's rig

n2audio,
What do you mean who would want to steal that? For one, that year is still the straight axle, for two a lot of people really like that old body style.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:00 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 15697
Quote:
Originally posted by n2audio
the best idea is to drive a rig like SR5Dave's. who the fuck would want to take that?
Dont worry schnabe.... He's pretty much right. I suppose there is a chance in hell. Its not a pretty truck.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:20 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 19609
SR5DAVE

Ya, you're right.. Just needs a paint job

My truck was almost stolen AGAIN this weekend...Came back from shopping at the mall, and my door was WIDE OPEN - slim jimmed open!
BASTARDS....
Luckily, I have that kill switch...
Old 10-24-2003, 07:52 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 23777
i was serious about that. he uses it for offroad duties so why make it pretty. if you throw a 3k paintjob on it then it would just get fucked up again. a beater is what i crave. you can make the baddest rig you can but dont make it pretty, thats just asking to have it fucked up.
n2audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:19 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 20873
I bought an alarm that pages me when assholes try to steel my rig. It is awesome. You can even silence the alarm so it will only page you when someone is breaking in the vehicle. I will work up to 1500 feet away and works pretty good when I am in a building.