96' geo tracker build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 47210
96' geo tracker build

Copying and pasting from other forum...

Ok guess its time to start my build thread finally!! Starting vehicle '96 geo tracker 2wd... Yes I said 2wd..... Over all idea was something short, narrow, dependable, and maneuverable. And hopefully drive up and down the road from time to time. I picked up the Geo about a year ago and shortly after went to San Antonio and got toyota axles from MnMstoy. Been collecting parts for the past year slowly gathering to get started on the build. Finally got my tires the other day and about to order t-case gears and will hopefully be starting soon.

Specs:
'96 Geo Tracker 1.6 16V
Auto trans divorced Sami t-case ordering 6:5:1
Yota Axles
Front '82ish 5:29 gears detroit long fields upgraded hub gear ARP studs high steer arms wheel spacers
Rear IFS rear I think '86 5:29s and locked.
Wheels are just some free 15X10" wheels I got
35" Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar sidewalls
Suspension: I got misc brackets and tabs from Ballistic. Was going to use jeep coil springs but then I found a good deal on 4 coil over springs so I'll be using those. So I picked up a set of blue torch mount coil spring mounts for front and rear.
Also got daystars new stinger bump stops f/r
I picked up a set of stock link bars off of a 4 door JK. From what measuring I did the rear links should work perfect. Lowers are already rectangle tubing and even angled for higher clearance.
The front I'll probably just use the lower links and build a upper link with a trac bar. I don't think I'll have room for a four link up there.

Looking to get about 100" wheelbase 17" ground clearance under the skid plate. I already picked up metal for skid plate and will be cutting out rockers and replace with sliders and it'll have skid from rocker to frame. Like a mini boat side. Already pulled gas tank and have it just sitting in the back. Will most likely be moving radiator to back too so I can put winch behind front grille. I know to keep it as low as I'm wanting I will need to cut some fenders plus I plan on building some protection for the fenders so I 'll probably do a flat/ tube style fender up front and a comp cut similar to a jeep on the rear. And 1.5" DOM cage on the interior around the passengers and will tie into frame and tubes around the fenders.

First 5 pics without the wheels and tires bolted up are at 100" wheel base. With the front tire pulled back it's at 95". These are just rough measurements on wheel base and ground clearance. I'm just doing some rough measuring to make sure everything can work as planned. I want it close to 100" wheel base but I will have to figure out steering because the pitman arm will be centered on the axle tube at 100". May go ahead and push the rear back a little and split the difference to get it to work.
Robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Finally went under the knife this weekend.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Got a lot more hours into it this weekend. Doesnt look like what I did took much time but damn I forgot how time consuming building stuff from scratch can be! I got the front lower link mounts on and worked on front of the frame so that I can get the other cross member under the motor cut out. The plan was to move the gear box forward and up to clear axle but after look some more and stuffing the axle it just wont be possible so I will be going full hydro. Hopefully it will still be somewhat streetable for just around town driving. On to the pics

fully stuffed. Will have plenty of room for the upper link to go on top of the diff. The oil pan is already clearanced perfect for the diff.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Front cross member. Both sides didnt quite meet up the same. I got the angle wrong on the first on but still made it work just had to use filler on the front instead of the back. Decided to lower and winch plate in the 2X3 tubing

I ran out of wire so I couldnt finish but got close. Was able to just set it in place to get a few pics.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 47210

Old 10-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
You Dumb Bastard

Member # 34281
Send a message via Yahoo to keller
In for more.

I like it.

but I'm kinda biased.

Shop build Thread
91 Tracker--38s--Doubler--Build Thread
05 CTD reg cab 6speed

emiller22207 is a huge pile of inhuman shit.

keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 109545
Keep going on the front. I have not got there yet. Want to see how your link works out. I started in the back.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14094
Send a message via AIM to Hvy_Chevy
with some work, could mount the tierod under the steering arms
Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvy_Chevy View Post
with some work, could mount the tierod under the steering arms

Thats probably what I will end up doing. When I go full hydro I will drill the arms out and just run hiems.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 47210
More progress. Got the front cross member tacked in so that I could cut out the one under the motor. Then dropped the diff in and built a upper link bar and mounts. Still no track bar yet. Also the frame mount is just tacked on for now. I need to plate the frame and will build the plate to go up above the frame rail and the link mount will go through it.

And decided I needed to get a fender back on it. So I just did a quick trim just to see it up there. I will need to cut some more to clear but still looks cool right now.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Got about 5 more hours into it tonight. Getting started on the rear. I had to cut the fenders just to get the axle where it needs to be. Then got the frame rails cleaned up and cut all the old brackets off. Tomorrow I'll be ready to start link mounts.

This is how it is going to sit once on the ground. Thats roughly 100" wheelbase.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 195143
Cant wait to see how it turns out. When are you expecting to have it done? (driveable)
yotamikez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
Cant wait to see how it turns out. When are you expecting to have it done? (driveable)
Unfortunately that may still be a while. Got some big parts to get and no budget for it at the moment. I've been collecting parts for a year already... But I'm hoping to at least get it to mega run in Gilmer, Tx which is next april.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 195143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert97dodge View Post
Unfortunately that may still be a while. Got some big parts to get and no budget for it at the moment. I've been collecting parts for a year already... But I'm hoping to at least get it to mega run in Gilmer, Tx which is next april.
As in 2012?

I need to start collecting parts for my build. Still an awesome start, thing is gonna look like a tonka truck.
yotamikez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
As in 2012?

I need to start collecting parts for my build. Still an awesome start, thing is gonna look like a tonka truck.
yep 2012...
Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
I Lovermont

Member # 181835
Send a message via AIM to Hyde802
I love a good tracker build. Keep up the good work!!

Were all mad here
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 47210
rear four link done got the front fender trimmed to where it will clear the tire when full stufffed and turned.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 160505
Coming together nice. Nice build.
crazysammi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 109545
More pictures of the link mounts and travel cylce?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcastell View Post
More pictures of the link mounts and travel cylce?
will get it when I get a temporary trac bar mounted. Also can go to far in the rear because I need to trim some more around the rear door.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Put some more time in last night. I got the front of the frame plated where the new cross member attached to the frame and cut the driver side fender and put it on. I had to weld in some tubing for now to be able to move the thing around so I can take it to another buddies shop and bend up some mounts for the upper coil mount. Once I get those in and trac bar we'll see how she flexes out!!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 109545
Bump.

So I don't have to go through all the pictures. I am ready for page two. Hopefully this gets us there.

Looking good. You mounted to the axle top house for the upper link. Did you move the fuel lines and cut the cross member? Its dark under there. Is the upper body mount link set to the inside of the frame rail or did you go to a cross member?

I got my back dialed in, but interested in the front build of yours.
Did I miss where the radiator is going? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 89104
Subscribed to this build, looks really nice. It's also nice to see a good clean body being used as a base for a nice build.
skyman6529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Quote:
Bump.

So I don't have to go through all the pictures. I am ready for page two. Hopefully this gets us there.

Looking good. You mounted to the axle top house for the upper link. Did you move the fuel lines and cut the cross member? Its dark under there. Is the upper body mount link set to the inside of the frame rail or did you go to a cross member?

Cross memeber under the motor is gone. No way everything would cleaer with it in. I will be putting in a different cross member under the trans.

Front upper link goes to a mount that is just temporarily welded piece of a tube off the top of the frame. Once I plate the frame there it will have to tabs that come off the top of the frame and the tube will go through the plates.

Radiator is going in the rear behind the driver seat.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 47210
Quote:
Bump.

And yes all the fuel lines and brake lines are pulled off of the frame for now. I will be re plumbing all the brakes from the master cylinder. I didnt like all the distribution blocks and stuff this thing had.