The Tin Can - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #251 (permalink)

Member # 129765
Gear noise is tough to diagnose. FWIW my case made a different sound after I switched shifter knobs once I put the gear set in. Must be a harmonics thing. I would square up the drivetrain and check all the mounts. If all is good just run it. I have a spare trans if you want to try that.
hydrogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #252 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
replaced the u-joints on the intermediate shaft. Still clanks away. We're going to try the stock mounts because the bucket I made shifted the case 3/16" to the driver's side. supa and Tim think its the transmission. So it could be that too. Going to see if we can find one somewhere to toss in to see if it works.

Also, do fourth and fifth gear share a syncro or something? Those seem to be the only two gears that it makes a noise. Iunno, perhaps share a bearing or something?

I'm still feeling a bit meh about it. I'm a bit tired and my knees are all swollen and sore. Girlfriend is coming up Friday night so it'll be nice to spend some time with her and talk about something else than 4x4s.

Quote:
1. NEVER, EVER date a single mother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by void_of_light View Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
JM93LiftedYJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #253 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
Depending on what the weather is like tomorrow, I may pull the transmission and check out the flywheel bolts. Perhaps one came loose or something.

My friend started uploading the videos from his phone tonight. He took this last fall. This was before any gears or clutch.

Tin Can - YouTube

Its not Cable Hill, but whatever.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #254 (permalink)

Member # 194521
This thing's pretty cool- hopefully you get it going again soon.
NHJeep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #255 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 114505
Any more?

Tim
gssfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #256 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
A few, but I'm not really going to bother to upload them. Kind of boring. That video is probably the "most entertaining". haha

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #257 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
Took the transmission out again. Here's the play I have in it:

DSCN0078.AVI - YouTube

That too much? We tried putting a drill on the input shaft, but it wouldn't spin fast enough. The play is only there for fourth and fifth gear. The other gears have a little play, but 4th and 5th is the worst.

I found a few Samurai projects for sale on CL. I have some emails out asking if they would sell me a transmission. But this is where I am right now.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #258 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 114505
Who is that A$$hat in the background yelling?

Tim
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #259 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
Takes after his father.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #260 (permalink)

Member # 129765
Why don't you pull the trans apart and have a look? Your looking for a new one anyway.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #261 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
I might just do that. I was going to wait until I found another first. Maybe see about a rebuilt kit or something. I mean, it DOES work. But I figure since its out I'll look for another.

I found someone that has been trying to sell their Samurai. He emailed me and said that he's going to be parting it out in 2 or 3 weeks. Told me if I lent a hand pulling the motor, transmission, and axles he'll give me some stuff that I could use. I figure its a fair trade. I might just do that.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #262 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
Drove a few hours away to lend a hand with someone parting out their decently built samurai. In return for helping, he gave me a transmission. I also bought the Kong Mount off him as well.

Get the transmission all set to go in. Replace the output seal, get it under the samurai, bolt everything up, one final bolt to the starter; the old bolt had snapped off in the bellhousing. Since I didn't take this transmission out, I had no idea. Pull it alllll apart again, and get the the bolt out.

Put everything back in. Fill everything with fluids. Connect the intermediate shaft. Start it up.

CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

So. Its not the transmission. Drove all the way down to MA to get a transmission I didn't need. Superb. Now I get to pull the t/c out again for, I think, the 16th time? At this point I might just box it up and send it to Trail Gear. Pay them to rebuild it because obviously world's easiest t/c is out of my skill level. And I have zero desire to run it like it is. I have way too much time, money, and effort into these gears. I don't want to wipe them out the first trip. Because if that happens, it will be another year before I even come close to saving up to buy another set. Which I wouldn't do; I'd buy the reman one from online and probably just scrap this case or sell it for $50.

Just fed up. Again. Was hoping to get this thing on a trail run this Sunday, but now I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #263 (permalink)

Member # 129765
Has anyone who knows gearboxes and has rebuilt them before looked at your case? I mean really taken a good look at it? You can cut a ton of corners working on these junk piles, but you have to be pretty particular working on gears. These things are so simple that barring something crazy it can really only be 1) a bad bearing 2) a missing or out of tolerance shim stack, or 3) not enough clearance between the gears and case (you ground both case halves, right?). If this was your first time I would not get too discouraged.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #264 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
We're thinking its a bad bearing.

Shims are all in place.

I ground away both sides of the case. The last time I put it all back together, I painted the inside of the case black so if it were rubbing we'd see it.

Using a length of rubber hose, we can pinpoint the exact location coming directly on a bolt that holds the section connecting to the front driveshaft. I forget the name of it, but when I had the case apart, when I spun the shaft connecting to the front drive shaft in place, it made the exact same noise.

I can't find the name of the shaft. Its only a couple inches long. Fits in the front housing. Inside there's a gear with teeth on the inside of the gear that engages the front drive shaft. It almost seemed like maybe that was skipping. But the sound comes only in 4th and 5th gear; but it doesn't matter 2WD, 4HI, or 4LO. Its blatantly coming from the t/c. You can hear it clearly.

I'm going to throw the drive shafts in it tonight. Run it. At this point I want whatever it is to explode. That way I'll know exactly what the issue is. A few people have already told me that I'll be spending more time and money chasing the fucking noise as opposed to waiting for something to break. And when that happens, it will more than likely end my wheeling for the year. But at least I'll know what it is.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #265 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
Decided to just run it. Through in the drive shafts. Went for a "quick" test.

This is after being pulled partially out by Tim (GSSFC).

My view:

‎1. Removed exhaust by a rock
2. Caved in driver's rear along with lights
3. 300lbs+ of mud inside
4. Removed tach with knuckles
5. Pretty certain I cracked my elbow in half

I was going to get a preinspection on saturday. But now I have some work to do before then. So with a few change in plans, we're wheeling on Saturday. Going to tow it to the trail. I'll fix the tach and exhaust before then I hope. If I have time, I'll do the lights.

But overall it performed great. I need to turn the idle up a little. The t/c makes a few noises, but I was ROMPING the SHIT out of it in the pit and nothing inside broke. So I'll just run it for now.

I'm also on the lookout to trade my Volvo S80 for a tow rig. I was going to see about a crew cab diesel dually so I could tow some of my friend's rigs, but for right now I really just want a 350/351 and a trailer. This whole street legal thing is bull shit.

Now for a shower.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #266 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 114505
Might I add...that was my atv that pulled you out of the deep spot!

Tim
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #267 (permalink)

Member # 147031
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM93LiftedYJ View Post
This whole street legal thing is bull shit.
x2. I did the street legal/DD thing with my XJ. No way in hell to actually keep it legal over here though.
If i actually had wheelin grounds close enough to home that it was worth having a badass DD rig it would be different but i'm an hour away from any wheelin at all.

My Zuk will never have plates - that ship has sailed, sunk and imploded

Nice to see you got to go wheeling again, i fully agree with the revised plan. You'll break shit anyways so chasing all kinds of noises will drive you nuts. Just make sure the cases and axles have good oil and they'll probably last way longer than you'd think

Last edited by Fudpucker; 04-25-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Fudpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #268 (permalink)

Member # 27526
Send a message via AIM to JesseA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudpucker View Post
...Nice to see you got to go wheeling again, i fully agree with the revised plan. You'll break shit anyways so chasing all kinds of noises will drive you nuts. Just make sure the cases and axles have good oil and they'll probably last way longer than you'd think
Its Pretty remarkable how long things will last if they are lubed. the D44 Front that I built 6 years ago with 40 year old gears and me not knowing what I was doing just got new gears. Two teeth on the pinion gear were broken and the ring gear wasnt happy either. But it was still working.

Run it and check/change the oil regularly.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #269 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
I know its blurry as hell (camera was in the car):

Ready for its first "real" wheeling trip on saturday. Its a tough trail so I'm sure to find the weak spot(s). The exhaust is fixed, I just yanked the wires from the tach out more and moved it by where the vent is on the left. Driver's side lights aren't working right, but I think it has to be a bad ground. There is literally 500lbs of mud on this thing right now. Saturday's trail is all rock so I'm sure I'll knock a lot of it loose. After that I can get the lights working again and hopefully get a sticker for it. Its a shame the guy winching me out winched me into a tree.

I stumbled across this today:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/2967067982.html

Not sure what the deal is. I figured something like that would go for at least $4k. Going to try to set some time aside and drive to take a look at it. Once the Zuk is somewhat stable, I'm going to start setting money aside for a tow rig. I have a beat up XJ, a VERY clean Volvo S80, and my Zuk. Tow rig will be a fourth vehicle so I'm going to have to let one go. I'm thinking sell the Jeep right now. Keep the S80 since it gets great gas mileage and is dependable.

Stoked for Saturday though! And yes, I will bring my good camera with video!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #270 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 114505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM93LiftedYJ View Post
Its a shame the guy winching me out winched me into a tree.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/2967067982.html

Fawk you, I said stop. I wasn't even on the "in" button!

Also, says posts deleted by author.

Tim
Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #271 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
Nope. Your fault.

As for the ad, it still comes up for me. hm

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #272 (permalink)
ZUK Herder

Member # 28426
good to see it wheeling... you'll figure out the noise years from now .... after you to replace a tail light bulb or somthing along those lines..... lol

"It's my belief that someone with a Samurai ran over a Gypsy's dog or something years ago, and he laid a curse on the whole lot."
-UZI 9mm
thanks to:
www.longfieldsuperaxles.com
www.kore4x4customs.com
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
www.zukeviltwin.com
www.polyperformance.com
www.DEEPWOODSEXTREME.com
www.trailtough.com
www.lowrangeoffroad.com
supazuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #273 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
Leaving in an hour to the load up the Zuk on the trailer. Doing one of the harder trails in the area. We have three Zuks, an XJ, and an ex-suburban turned truggy bastardization thing-a-majig. This will be the first true run for two of the Zuks and the truggy thing. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm expecting all sorts of breakage on the Tin Can. We'll see.

Bringing my camera for videos and pictures. I'll be sure to try to get lots of footage!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #274 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
Welp, just got out of the shower after a long day....

of BAD ASS WHEELING! Holy shit! Tin Can spanked one of the toughest trails in the area. I had to winch once, but so did the other four rigs we were with. I have pictures and videos uploading, but the ones of me driving are on other's cameras. I cannot BELIEVE how awesome I did. I walloped four trees, bent in all sorts of panels, mangled my exhaust, and dented about a hundred different spots in my undercarriage. Everything held up PERFECTLY. Besides having to fix the exhaust, I could actually wheel tomorrow. Gears worked flawlessly. I had by far the smallest, cheapest, and crappiest rig, but I made it off the trail with it still in running order. I made that trail my bitch. I'm so fucking stoked right now. Of the five rigs, we had a Chevy truggy bust up a radiator and shear the front body mounts off the frame, a very expensive Toyota on 36s and a wildly built 4.3 on racing fuel blew a birfield, GSSFC removed a flare and discovered he needs a rear locker, and my Zuk really just got dented up some.

Biggest thing right now is getting it street legal. I can't afford a tow rig right now. I borrowed a friend's truck and trailer and what a world of a difference. Trailering is the only way to go now. No question.

Anywho, I do have the pics and videos uploading. I'll probably get to organizing and posting them tomorrow night. Next free weekend I'll spend some time on the rear lights and fixing up some of the rust and rot. My friends say I have a few iffy spots that won't pass inspection.

But what a badass day. I have to thank every one of you for your moral support and prevent me from getting rid of this. All the help and suggestions are great. I believe I have the shittiest build on these entire forums, but I cannot explain how awesome my rig performed today. I'm through the roof right now. I have a grin from ear to ear.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #275 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 114505

That was fun. You also need better clamps for your highlift.

Tim