VW rear caliper advice? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 65972
VW rear caliper advice?

Finally getting close to finished on my Tracker VW rear disc conversion. Caliper brackets are finished and mounted with the rotors. I'm going to buy new calipers, using my junkyard parts for cores. The donor car for the calipers was a '99 Golf VR6. Near as I can tell the car should have had 54mm front & 42 mm rear caliper bores, but it actually had 38 mm rears. The Tracker's a '93 so the front calipers shold be 48 mm bore. I'm thinking that I'll go ahead and get new 42 mm calipers. Undecided on the master cylinder, but I'll probably go with a Subaru conversion.

The Tracker has a 1.5" spacer lift with 30x9.50-15 BFG All Terrains. Bumpers will be heavier than stock, especially the rear with a swing-out tire carrier. Unless there's a reason not to go this route, I'm going to order the 42 mm bore rear calipers. I figure the Tracker's weight is probably biased more toward the rear than the Golf VR6 would have been. If this results in too much rearward brake bias, I can switch the fronts to the later style 54 mm bore Tracker calipers.

One concern is that with the bigger caliper bores, I'll lose too much pedal feel. Any thoughts?

Also, any advice on what proportioning valve to use?

Thanks
ihmagellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 65972
Did some more searching regarding front brakes instead of rear and figured out what the rest of you already knew--the 54 mm Tracker calipers are the 4-door upgrade calipers and work with the 17 mm thick vented rotors instead of the 10 mm thick solid rotors. That said, switching to the larger front calipers if I need to involves more than just a caliper swap. What I haven't figured out from the searches is whether there's more to it than swapping the caliper & rotor. Does it use the same spindle and caliper bracket?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 65972
The question of whether to use 38 or 42 mm bore rear calipers turns out to be irrelevant. The 42 mm calipers don't appear to available. Here's my bracket. It has a couple extra sets of holes because the orientation to make the parking brake cables work turned out to be different than I expected. That's a good thing. The design can be simplified quite a bit and one set of holes will work for both sides.

Name:  vwbracket.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  16.8 KB

Here it is with caliper in place. Now I just have to get everything plumbed and finish the parking brake cable brackets.

Name:  vwcaliper.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  34.4 KB

Is a '93 Tracker proportioning valve mounted to the master cylinder or to the passenger's side frame rail? The FSM labels the thing mounted low on the right side of the manifold as the proportioning valve. The piece on the frame rail looks like a proportioning valve, but the FSM calls it the "front brake pipe upper connector". Looks mighty elaborate for a connector and it has front AND rear lines attached to it.