Full floater conversion for hybrid rear - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 126040
Full floater conversion for hybrid rear

I have been looking into converting my Hybrid rear housing to a full floater so I can get a set of 300M type of shafts for it. Dean at Performance Cryo builds these out of an alloy that is reputed to be superior to 300M in a shaft type application. He calls it "Tormax", anyway the tensile strength is over 225,000 psi and it well suited to spline manufacture.
From what I have gathered it seems that it is not that big of a deal to use the Samurai spindle/hub/brake assembly along with '99 or newer Track/kick 26 spline drive flanges. Flange bolt upgrades are necessary as are wheel stud upgrades based on what others have reported. Reinforcing the flange at the outer ends of the housing seems to be in order also. One big question I did not find a firm answer to is sealing the oil in the housing. Some formerly available kits had a seal in an adapter housing. I have also read that one might be able to merely seal the drive flange and let the 90 weight also lube the hub/wheel bearings, like the full floater axles on full size trucks. Thoughts or actual experience? I do not need or want Toyota axles this time. I am on 35's with a 1.6 8v in a Samurai that weighs not much more than stock.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 71584
The floaters we've built down here run a stock front inner axle seal for the rear. I'm not at all sure about running the wheel bearings on gear oil - IMHO different torque specs would be required and there's four leak paths that weren't designed to retain oil, only repel water/dust - Drive flange, drive flange dust cap, spindle/axlehousing, and hub inner seal.

Here's our seal arrangement.

Steve.

Last edited by Gwagensteve; 03-17-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Gwagensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 62320
I ran a full floater conversion on my Sammy based race truck for 4 years. It was a UK manufactured kit and had no seals in the rear. It ran with no issues and no leaks during hard use.