1.6 16 valve performance - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ditchbank Wheeler

Member # 44106
Question 1.6 16 valve performance

Ok, I have a 95 ( pre obd2 ) 1.6 16 valve swapped into my Dads and also my own samurai. Both are bone stock engines with stock exhaust (2" from cat back) and air box. What I would like to know is, for the money and ease of installation, what is the hands down best performance mod for a 16 valve? These engines in stock form are impressive enough in a samurai but what are the options? I have read about the performance "chips" available for these things and am skeptical but without basis, I have no experience or reliable feedback on them. Im finding it hard to believe the doug thourley header is much better than the stock manifold but again, just guessing. Is it worth the time and money for a turbo? Im looking for answers from people who know from experience. Yes! I searched, it sucked. thanks!
A bat flying at mach 10 will be just as confused as you are when it hits you.
zukesofhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 165285
I'm actually really interested as well. I was going to post a thread about it. I just got my 16v to run right, and I am seriously stunned by its performance, it hauls ass! But once you catch the go fast bug you can't get rid of it, so I too want to do something fast and easy (somewhat) to make this thing faster.

Sub'd!

Special thanks to Low Range Off Road!
Nixon984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 38172
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Crawlers Send a message via MSN to Shadow Crawlers
I heard a torque cam regrind from Delta Cam really wakes these up. I would like to try one in my wifes hard top sammy that is getting a 3spd auto behind the 1.6.
Shadow Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 133009
I wish I could tell you what's been done to mine. Bought it used off a member here, he said it had a cam that helps keep it from stalling at low speeds and a header. Not sure how these compare over stock but I know it hauls compared to the 1.3
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67110
A turbo. Or a bigger engine.

My 16v is stock, those are the only two things I would really consider if I wanted more power
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 78079
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Boz View Post
A turbo. Or a bigger engine.

My 16v is stock, those are the only two things I would really consider if I wanted more power
Yep even for the big block sami motor they are pretty anemic. I know a guy with a custom manifold jackson super charger from a honda on his and it does...better

Master of the wire Wheel!Apprentice human clamp

Coastal Fabrication the " best damn shop in town"
Poly Performance

Pacific Fabrication
http://www.pacificfab.net/
Right Gear &Axle
Valley Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Auto View Post
Yep even for the big block sami motor they are pretty anemic. I know a guy with a custom manifold jackson super charger from a honda on his and it does...better
Ok make that 3 things I'd consider... got any pics of a 16v with a blower on it?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 78079
I havent seen him in a while, could be cause I sold my sami... But im building a new one but its not a sami But he used to be around hollister a lot next time I see him I'll snap a few pics. I want to say it was a 16 valve with an 8 valve manifold and he built the adapter to the blower.

Master of the wire Wheel!Apprentice human clamp

Coastal Fabrication the " best damn shop in town"
Poly Performance

Pacific Fabrication
http://www.pacificfab.net/
Right Gear &Axle
Valley Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ditchbank Wheeler

Member # 44106
Who here has gone the turbo route? whats to be expected as far as mods and hp gains? Do you experience turbo lag? if so, how bad? Is a cam worth the time and money? Thanks!
A bat flying at mach 10 will be just as confused as you are when it hits you.
zukesofhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
From my brief foray into this engine (89 swift GT), the 'word' was that the chips were a worthwhile endeavor for these engines. Specifics? Can't speak from experience, but some of the members on teamswift.net could offer some better insight.
schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 67110
Here is a good turbo 16v thread

Turbo 1.6 16V Tracker/Sidekick motor in a Samurai = FAST FUN!

and like schadenfreude said, teamswift is a good source for engine performance info
Old 10-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 104060
a buddies rig before any tuning
phil factor 2012 ian 6.wmv - YouTube
its better now after tuning just no video yet
Old 10-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 84361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoads View Post
I wish I could tell you what's been done to mine. Bought it used off a member here, he said it had a cam that helps keep it from stalling at low speeds and a header. Not sure how these compare over stock but I know it hauls compared to the 1.3
I am the original owner. The cam and the header were both purchased from Hawk's suzuki. They are now out of business as I understand. The cam, as I understand, is Delta's torque grind. Hawk just rebadged it. I did the cam and the header at the same time the difference in the woods was very noticeable. The biggest difference was when wheeling it definitely idled better and would crawl over things without throttle input much better. I used to have to always cover the pedal with my foot and if I felt a tire bump something I had to blip it to keep it from stalling the cam fixed that.

Glad to here you got the spark problem figured out and got her running. That was a damn good engine in my rig and never let me down.

I kinda miss it.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 9464
Best "Bang for the Buck" in cheapest to most expensive order is:

1. Advance timing several degrees which depends on vehicle and octane of fuel used and do not let it ping (increases throttle response, but reduces gas mileage)

2. TUNE IT UP! use OEM NGK plugs (other plugs never seem to work as well), good quality wires, cap, rotor, etc

3. Use a mandrel bent 2" or 2.25" Dynomax Super-Turbo exhaust system with "high flow" CAT (gutted works the best) and the stock manifold actually flows very well (meaning a header is not a necessity to gain power).

4. CAM ......changes the location of the power band and is better for some applications. I prefer using an adjustable CAM gear which does similar, but is less expensive and allows for better tuning.

5. Stand-alone fuel management system to replace the stock computer. Expensive, but required to optimize the engine performance and requires hours of tuning.

6. TURBO .... more complicated and expensive (comparatively), but produces plenty of useable power and you can safely get 5-6 PSI out of a system good for about 40-60hp befre reaching the limits of the stock EFI system

7. Supercharger .... also complicated and expensive and similar to the turbo, but costs and performance are similar.

Probably missed something and did not get in to doing internal motor work (shaving head, boring or stroking motor, etc) or motor swaps like the 2.0 or 2.3 liter which are NIGHT AND DAY difference over the 1.6, but these are the things I have experience with. I have never used the "chips" on the market and do not know anyone that has.

HTH

Sean

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,” Clint Eastwood

"This is the greatest wealth destruction I have seen by a president [obama]." Jim Cramer

Last edited by AFTERMARKET4X4; 10-20-2012 at 05:33 AM.
AFTERMARKET4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 27199
I had a 16 "built" in my last sammy. Bored .030 over, shaved head, the works. I tried using a performance cam but it kept breking the adjusting studs. Hawk said they sent me a bad grind but I just put the stocker back in.

Anyhow, the jump in performance was very noticable from stock. It was very snappy, and reved quickly and smoothly. It had more power than stock but was not a fast car by any means. And after driving my 4 door with the turbo Audi motor, the sammy was slow as hell.
bigzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 9464
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzook View Post
I had a 16 "built" in my last sammy. Bored .030 over, shaved head, the works. I tried using a performance cam but it kept breking the adjusting studs. Hawk said they sent me a bad grind but I just put the stocker back in.

Anyhow, the jump in performance was very noticable from stock. It was very snappy, and reved quickly and smoothly. It had more power than stock but was not a fast car by any means. And after driving my 4 door with the turbo Audi motor, the sammy was slow as hell.

But it's still not a ZUK motor You know some of us are Suzuki Purists when it comes to our vehicles. Swap in a 2.0 Vitara/Tracker motor or a 2.3 liter Aerio motor and you would be surprised

Sean

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,” Clint Eastwood

"This is the greatest wealth destruction I have seen by a president [obama]." Jim Cramer
AFTERMARKET4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 27199
Yeah, I used to be like that also. And if something happens to this motor I will probably put a 2.7 V-6 in it.
bigzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
pudpounder

Member # 89997
now that would take lots of work and $$$
Old 10-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 104060
A little something i've been working on, dont mind the old mock up motor EATON M62

Last edited by longzook; 10-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.
longzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 183899
Anymore info on the supercharger set up?????????????
yozuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 104060
Just a eaton m62 off a xterra still a work in progress. hopefully soon tho