x over steering on zuk axles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2003, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4500
x over steering on zuk axles

who is running what kit and how is it holding up? Got a new project coming into the garage and looking at high x over steering for zuk axles.

Need both tie rod and drag link to be above the springs.
[URL="http://www.we-rock.cc/team_list.php?wts=show&wvalue=181"]We-Rock #208[/URL]

"Team HBRK" thanks our sponsors.

Driver: Shane Yost
Spotter: Todd Young
Rudezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8284
I've got the TT kit, pretty simple. It has held up well to thousands of road miles . If I went off road I'm sure it would hold up fine. It'll be available in the next few months once I get the Toy axle swap under way, but with the way your projects move I doubt if you'll be able to wait that long.

Edit, I just finished reading your post, I'm running the x-over, not the high steer.

Last edited by DemoMike; 01-21-2003 at 10:03 AM.
DemoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2003, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Same question.

Who's kit is good? Who's is junk?

I need to replace my bent/worn linkage, not just move it.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8827
if your going to spend the money for hysteer, why not just step up to the plate and run yoda/dana's?
Old 01-21-2003, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12247
Made my own arms with 1-3/4"x3/4" flatbar, bent it to shape, notched one end to tig weld in my kingpin, redrilled and retapped the kingpin bolt holes to M10 x 1.25. Used 2 kick tierod ends for my draglink with a piece of DOM tube. Tie rod will be moly with both ends replaceable.
Startin 2 more arms for another rig so both drag link and tie rod go above. Fawk payin the cash they want for this steering shit.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4500
Quote:
Originally posted by Dychen
if your going to spend the money for hysteer, why not just step up to the plate and run yoda/dana's?
In time...........In time
[URL="http://www.we-rock.cc/team_list.php?wts=show&wvalue=181"]We-Rock #208[/URL]

Old 01-21-2003, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2752
I made my own cross-over arms too. It was pretty easy. I used the brake cailper bolts as a mounting point. Easy to make and worked great. I was going to make another set for the driver's side and go full hi-steer, but then I stepped up to the plate......

Rude, We've all seen your work. Make some, come awn, be a cheap skate . Mine cost me around $20 and took about four hours. If I can do it, you can do it.
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12060
Send a message via Yahoo to NC Zuk
I have the RRO Over the Top steer installed but it is yet to see the trail. My first impression is BEEF. I think it is a steal at the current price.

Old 01-21-2003, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5832
Quote:
Originally posted by Titanium
Made my own arms with 1-3/4"x3/4" flatbar, bent it to shape, notched one end to tig weld in my kingpin, redrilled and retapped the kingpin bolt holes to M10 x 1.25. Used 2 kick tierod ends for my draglink with a piece of DOM tube. Tie rod will be moly with both ends replaceable.
Startin 2 more arms for another rig so both drag link and tie rod go above. Fawk payin the cash they want for this steering shit.

Pics are always good

HINT HINT HINT
UZI 9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4500
Quote:
Originally posted by Tusker
I made my own cross-over arms too. It was pretty easy. I used the brake cailper bolts as a mounting point. Easy to make and worked great. I was going to make another set for the driver's side and go full hi-steer, but then I stepped up to the plate......

Rude, We've all seen your work. Make some, come awn, be a cheap skate . Mine cost me around $20 and took about four hours. If I can do it, you can do it.
Steering stuff is something i dont like to skimp on..........Theres alot riding on it!!

Now if I was in a shop with a mill, I would make some of my own...but not at home with a welder and grinder...

Put some pics up Tusker!

Old 01-21-2003, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Send a message via MSN to Bill4rest
Dave from AAPA has a new kit, never saw in in person though.
Bill4rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11248
Send a message via AIM to somone21
x over streering

Brent has one by Andy's steering and roadless gear has one
somone21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1535
Send a message via Yahoo to SAR_Sammy
Shane check your company email or Ambers email, I sent you some pics of the front end....

SAR_Sammy
Mike
SAR_Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 12247
Quote:
Originally posted by UZI 9mm

Pics are always good

HINT HINT HINT
OK i got the hint, the cam's fukd, I'm workin on it. Nice to know you have dat red star
Old 01-22-2003, 09:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 6524
Prior to painting.. just checking out fit and stuff.. and things..

Then.. pulled it back off and painted it and stuff.. purdy..

Bump steer is almost nonexistant now.. it takes one hell of a pot hole hitting just one tire to get it to want to move around on its own.. and I think it steers much better than it used to.. as far as effort is concerned.

Dave @ AAPA sells these things now.
Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 01:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2752
Quote:
Originally posted by RudeZuk
Steering stuff is something i dont like to skimp on..........Theres alot riding on it!!......
I hear ya. It made me a little nervous for the first few trips. After puting it to the test wheelin a couple of times, I gained enough confidence to not worry about it.
Quote:
Originally posted by RudeZuk
Put some pics up Tusker!
I sold the axles and steering. I think I have a picture at home though. I'll look and post one if I do.
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Back to the top.

I am going to buy or build a hi-steer in the next week (at least start building).

I want both links above the springs. I pretty confident that I can build something similar to the RRO Hi-steer but I don't know where to get the tie rod ends. I know where to get everything else.

Does anyone know where to get the ends, what size are they, part number, specs, etc.

I'm also going to be installing the cellica PS at the same time, therefore I don't want to buy the RRO Hi-steer kit, and the RRO pitman arm to go from the toy box to the zuki link (which is threaded on to the end of the DOM).

Where do you get the rod ends to build it yourself.
OR
Buy the RRO kit (which doesn't seem like a bad price) and get a rod end to fit the stock cellica arm.

I e-mailed Glenn and he said he didn't know where to get the end to fit the stock cellica box. (Otherwords, buy the arm from RRO also)

Old 04-20-2003, 10:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 4500
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverZuk
Back to the top.

I am going to buy or build a hi-steer in the next week (at least start building).

I want both links above the springs. I pretty confident that I can build something similar to the RRO Hi-steer but I don't know where to get the tie rod ends. I know where to get everything else.

Does anyone know where to get the ends, what size are they, part number, specs, etc.

I'm also going to be installing the cellica PS at the same time, therefore I don't want to buy the RRO Hi-steer kit, and the RRO pitman arm to go from the toy box to the zuki link (which is threaded on to the end of the DOM).

Where do you get the rod ends to build it yourself.
OR
Buy the RRO kit (which doesn't seem like a bad price) and get a rod end to fit the stock cellica arm.

I e-mailed Glenn and he said he didn't know where to get the end to fit the stock cellica box. (Otherwords, buy the arm from RRO also)
I get my own, and build all myself

PM me if you need anything...

Old 04-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Send a message via MSN to Bill4rest
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverZuk

He's full of Sh!T, The female part is the same as the female of the Samurai drag link. Or you can call Gary at Petroworks and I'm sure he can set you up with the one's he makes.

Bill4rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 11628
I really like the Breeze Hi-Steer set up, its a bit pricey though. It looks to be the most solid setup I have seen.

But personally, there has to be a way to get beter arms and then build your own links....that shiat aint rocket science!!

good luck, post up pics (everyone) of what you built, so we can 'Critique' them LOL

Last edited by Orionn; 04-20-2003 at 09:55 PM.
Orionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 18487
Send a message via AIM to Tintop
if you don't mind waiting for anywere from a few weeks to a few months the RRO kit is the way to go....
Tintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
I would buy the breeze setup or who ever had the best one for the money.

My stock linkage is junk. It rubs the springs on both sides. The stock stabilizer is crushed, and the box is bleeding pretty bad out of the bottom seal.

I need new linkage, and the way I wheel I need all of it above the springs. I will make that the linkage very similar to the RRO if I can find all the ends that fit.

If I can't get both links above the springs, I might buy the RRO Hi-steer, but then I still need the end to connect the RRO hi-steer to a stock toyota cellica arm. That way I don't have to buy the pitman from RRO to connect the toy box to Zuk linkage.

No matter what I do, I have to have a new drag link and tie rod link. Mine are junk.

I know it's not that hard, I just don't know where to get what.
I'm going to call Gary at Petroworks this week. Those guys have always been helpful.

Last edited by SilverZuk; 04-20-2003 at 03:31 PM.