Ford power.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2001, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7184
Send a message via AIM to txranger
Ford power....

Anybody here who swapped a Ford 4.0 into a sammy? I just might have one sitting around
txranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1408
Send a message via AIM to RockRanger
http://www.olywa.net/wildwest/ This guy has some info in it. I know there is a guy posting on here that has a 2.8. If you do it take lots of pictures. I think it would be pretty col as long as it doesn't make it to nose heavy.

Matt
Old 11-15-2001, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4137
I went 4.3. I love it. why go with an enimic 2.8 , it only puts out 120 Hp. You can build a 1.6 to do that.

I have pics on my site. http://home.off-road.com/~ovo/feature.htm
mudlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3610
I have a ford 2.8 in mine. I think that the 4.0 would be the way to go since it is alot lighter and narrower than the 4.3 chevy. hp isn't as much, but it is alot more than the 1.6.

the nice thing about using the 2.8 (and i am sure the 4.0 would be the same way) is that there is enough room 2 have a jackshaft with 2 ujoints between the transmission and the zuki tcase and still have a stock length rear driveshaft. I am not sure how the guys with the chevy v6's do that without making a really short rear driveshaft or else using a mated tcase. (my brother has a chevy 3.8 in his with a really short driveshaft, so if anyone has any ideas?)

the 2.8 has significantly more power than the 1.6 8 valve, and i did the whole swap for about 800$ includeing the motor and trany. I am running stock driveshafts and axles, and no problems so far, but if i do, i have a set of toyota axles for it.
zukibrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4137
Quote:
Originally posted by zukibrother
I have a ford 2.8 in mine. I think that the 4.0 would be the way to go since it is alot lighter and narrower than the 4.3 chevy. hp isn't as much, but it is alot more than the 1.6.

the nice thing about using the 2.8 (and i am sure the 4.0 would be the same way) is that there is enough room 2 have a jackshaft with 2 ujoints between the transmission and the zuki tcase and still have a stock length rear driveshaft. I am not sure how the guys with the chevy v6's do that without making a really short rear driveshaft or else using a mated tcase. (my brother has a chevy 3.8 in his with a really short driveshaft, so if anyone has any ideas?)

the 2.8 has significantly more power than the 1.6 8 valve, and i did the whole swap for about 800$ includeing the motor and trany. I am running stock driveshafts and axles, and no problems so far, but if i do, i have a set of toyota axles for it.
I have the 4.3 chevy, 700R4 ( thats a long tranny) Adapter and D18 T-Case. My front and rear drive shafts are both 26" long. How long is a stock rear shaft?

Why go to the problem of a complete engine swap for next to no extra power that you can get with a 1.6. Go big or go home.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3610
I agree that the 4.3 is a cool swap for the samurai, but he was asking about the 4.0 ford. I think that that would be a motor to consider, espically if you had one cheap. the point about the 2.8, is that it is very similar to the 4.0, and the info used to install the 2.8 would be very helpful.(like where to get the motor mounts, how to build the short shaft c4, how to build the jack shaft that goes between the c4 and the zukitcase, etc). I hope to someday put a 4.0 in mine, but for now i will just be happy with my 120hp.

I know that the 1.3 and 1.6 can both be built to have good hp, probably close to what I have with my 2.8. I have a friend with a 1.3 with the side draft carbs, and it really screams, but he has more money in his motor, than i do in my whole swap. Plus I have an auto, which it is my understanding that getting an auto to work with the 1.3 or 1.6 is not a really easy thing to do. I had a very firm budget of 1000$, and I saw no other way of acheiving the level of power that i now have for that amount. Plus the 2.8 very light for a v6, lighter than most 4 clyinders.

by the way, how do you get 120hp out of a 1.6? I thought they came with like 80hp, that is like getting an extra 50% out of it?
Old 11-18-2001, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4137
Quote:
Originally posted by zukibrother
I agree that the 4.3 is a cool swap for the samurai, but he was asking about the 4.0 ford. I think that that would be a motor to consider, espically if you had one cheap. the point about the 2.8, is that it is very similar to the 4.0, and the info used to install the 2.8 would be very helpful.(like where to get the motor mounts, how to build the short shaft c4, how to build the jack shaft that goes between the c4 and the zukitcase, etc). I hope to someday put a 4.0 in mine, but for now i will just be happy with my 120hp.

I know that the 1.3 and 1.6 can both be built to have good hp, probably close to what I have with my 2.8. I have a friend with a 1.3 with the side draft carbs, and it really screams, but he has more money in his motor, than i do in my whole swap. Plus I have an auto, which it is my understanding that getting an auto to work with the 1.3 or 1.6 is not a really easy thing to do. I had a very firm budget of 1000$, and I saw no other way of acheiving the level of power that i now have for that amount. Plus the 2.8 very light for a v6, lighter than most 4 clyinders.

by the way, how do you get 120hp out of a 1.6? I thought they came with like 80hp, that is like getting an extra 50% out of it?
Lots of money , and a trip to Calmini for a supercharger...LOL

All I was saying is as far as swapping in a 2.8 , it is a waste of time. IMHO the 4.3 would have been better.

I know the post is about the Ford 4.0, and this may also be a good choice.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6524
Zukibrother.. sent ya an email.. I'd love to see some pix of the 2.8 in your Sami. Got a website? Anything?

-can't wait to start on my 2.8 swap...
Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3610
Vermin, I would recomend talking the the guy at wild west offroad first, as sells the motor mounts for the swap and can give you better information than i can.

a couple of things though, if ou are going to use the stock suzuki tcase and want an automatic, just make sure you get a c4. it is relitivly easy to shorten, by using the short shaft and tail housing out of a late 70's c4.

While, i do have a 2.8 in it now, I am planning, and had aways planned on putting a 4.0 ford in it eventually. I just wanted to do it one step at a time(didn't want to mess with wiring the fuel injection). What i mean is you might want to either consider the 2.9 or 4.0 as mudlight said the 2.8 only has 120hp. but that is more hp than i would ever expect to get out of a 1.3/1.6.

I havn't gotten a chance to drive it much yet, but so far the swap works really good, easy to do and best of all, it was really cheap to do(if you do it yourself). Other than the cost of the motor and trany i only have a couple more hundred in it.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7184
The thing is, Ill have one FREE when I put the 302 in the Ranger NOW how does that sound?
Old 11-20-2001, 07:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7184
BTW...I AM talking bout the 4.0, not the 2.8 or 3.0....
Old 11-20-2001, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 6524
I'm dead set on the 2.8... 4.0 isn't even an option. Offy makes a 4 barrel intake for the motor that you can strap a massive *cough* 390cmf Holley 4 barrel onto.. several companies make cams for the 2.8... ported heads.. some headers.. I dont see why you couldn't get 150hp out of it (thats before I hit the button on the nitrous). I already have a C4 (nicely built) in my late model mustang that will be getting a tailshaft conversion and an adapter for Toyota transfer cases (yes.. case'S'). You can also do a quick and dirty Duraspark conversion on the 2.8 with Pinto distributor and a junkyard Duraspark II ignition box.

All I really wanted was some pix of how it looked in the engine compartment
Old 11-20-2001, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 7184
would i have to run a drivers side diff with the 4.0?
Old 11-20-2001, 10:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 6524
Depends on what transfer case you dig up
Old 11-20-2001, 10:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7184
what tcases would work for this app...say id be running d44's. Hypothetically, of course.
Old 11-20-2001, 11:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7184
Old 11-21-2001, 07:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 882
Put a C4 behind it and a D20 behind that.

You can read how to do this in the Ford Forum... It was brought up a while ago..