Samurai automatic transmission - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2003, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13446
Samurai automatic transmission

Looking for some info on what is believed to be a myth by some of the other samurai guru's out there.

After my recent trip to Moab and seeing how well some other trucks with auto's did it got my curiosity up about the possibility of an auto in a samurai. I figured why not stick with a suzuki tranny to keep it simple and bolt up. I searched here and other places on the internet and found nothing about the auto tranny in a samurai. So, I called Petroworks and Hawk and they both said it does not exist, even though I told them I had seen one before. They both basically said a 2wd auto was never produced in the US and when I suggested that maybe it was brought in from overseas they both said no, it does not exist.

However, I'm 99% sure that I saw a 1991 Suzuki Samurai JA that was a 2wd automatic tranny when I was stationed in Florida about 6 years ago. It had a little tiny divorced t-case with just a rear output shaft and a front straight axle with no diff. So then I searched the online Autotrader and found 2 1991 2wd automatic tranny samurai's for sale.

So, can anyone out there confirm that these things do exist? If so, would you think that the tranny could simply bolt up to a JL/JX 4wd samurai? I would think so.

TIA

On a whim I just called a suzuki dealer and the tech in the parts dept said that they do exist. He said he doesn't know how to go about getting a tranny, but suggested I try Canada. Would anybody know where I could call in Canada to try to find one?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 16289
If you want to go auto, I suspect the best route would be a 1600 kick/tracker engine with auto and married t-case mated to a samurai divorced t-case ala' Randy Ellis and Mike Shaffer.
terrymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2003, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11626
They don't exsist for the Samurai. However, an auto from a swift or firefly MIGHT bolt-up.

The best way is to use the auto our of the sidekick. Even throw in the 1.6 while your at it
Goof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2003, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11628
Didn't they produce a 2wd sidekick/tracker? if so I would use that, and the engine of course. It would be interesting to see what was really produced for the Samurai though......that machine was sold in ALOT of markets worldwide....I would be shocked if an auto didn't find its way into it somwhere in the world. .....it really isnt too far fetched. The USA is only one market, and it was a small one for that truck.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 17151
They DID/DO make automatic transmissions for the Japanesse equivalent of the Samurai. You can buy them on the Japanesse equivalent of eBay. I don't know the site URL but I've been to a friend's house who buys stuff on it all the time. I thought about having one shipped over here but it'd be too costly and there's no guarantee that it'd work correctly with the US conversion.

Also, Sean DeVinney (Aftermarket4x4) has put a Tracker auto into a Samurai. I haven't seen it personally, but I have seen pictures of it.
Capn_Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2003, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15125
GRAY MARKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought one in hawaii in a junk yard... then sold it...

CAll some of the juck yard in HI...

one... of many dum ass things I nowwish i hadnt of sold...
Big_Ak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2003, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 11580
ive seen auto trannied sammy too. it was a gray 2 wheel drive early 90s model, totally stock. pizza delivery driver i knew had it.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8601
Re: Samurai automatic transmission

Quote:
Originally posted by sh996

On a whim I just called a suzuki dealer and the tech in the parts dept said that they do exist. He said he doesn't know how to go about getting a tranny, but suggested I try Canada. Would anybody know where I could call in Canada to try to find one?
None in Canada - at least I've never seen/heard of one.

Every Trader ad that says auto tends to be an error when you call them up about it. At least that is my exp.

r@m
Root Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2003, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
what i read on a different thread was.... to my knowledge this is "rumor" but somone else might beable to verify....

A chevette auto tranny can be used....

Remove the bolt on bellhousing and a 1.6L 5 speed bell will mate directly up to it... Then you can use a lucky 13 or a 1.6 engine...

i think the chevetts used a TH180 or a TH200
2006 Ford e450-RV/Ambulance
Stroke - Coumadin(warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2003, 12:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1700
a buddy of mine runs a 8valve 1.6L in his sami and he just finished his auto swap today. he used a gm th180 with a sidekick 180 bell housing and torque converter. the suzuki version of the 180 tranny is electronically controlled where the 80's chevy version is not. teh suzuki 180 bellhousing will bolt right up.
Old 04-26-2003, 06:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 9464
Been there, done that, would definately go 1.6 8V EFI or 16V MPI w/auto. I cannot imagine how lethargic a 1.3 w/auto would be!The 1.8 8V EFI auto Tin Top I built was a sweet ride, but I just still preferred my 5-speed. Conversion's not too hard if you have a body lift, otherwise there is alot of cutting, but worth the work. Don't think I'd build another anytime soon, though. Here is a link to the auction for it....I just sold it two weeks ago. A guy in Arizona bribed me to end the auction early. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2409634821

Sean DeVinney
"Testing the limits of Japanese Technology .....every day!"

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,” Clint Eastwood

"This is the greatest wealth destruction I have seen by a president [obama]." Jim Cramer
AFTERMARKET4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.