Vibes ViBeS vIbEs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2003, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 16401
Send a message via MSN to kd7srj Send a message via Yahoo to kd7srj
Vibes ViBeS vIbEs

It seems we are plagued with vibes from t-cases drivelines centered rear toy diffs off center sammi rear diffs double cv drivelines etc etc....it seems to be a neverending battle....my question is....hasnt anybody tried using a cv joint like a front wheel drive style ??? a front wheel drive cv setup operates smoothly through so many more angles than our fixed up-down style but we get the vibes...

I am thinking about an olds toronado style cv shaft setup

get a long slip yoke assembly attach a cv at each end. cut the splined shafts off of each end. center up a flange at each end and...Blam no vibes....! or is there something i am missing????
Old 06-07-2003, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10706
I use a Toy, both front and rear

Double Cardon Joint CV Driveshaft

The only time my drive line vibe is when the U-joints are whacked.

I think if the pinion is in line the joints should last..... A wile.

But what the heck do I know.

I'm a sexual spastic.
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2003, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11626
There are a lot of people, like Frank, running the toyota Double Cardon Joint CV Driveshafts. It gets rid of the paint shaker effect nicely.
Goof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 03:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15945
I use a toy cv rear. My junk ran very smooth untill I installed a poly t-case mount kit. The sammy ran like it had square tires on it. Put the stock rubber back on and now it feels like a caddy.
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8111
Re: Vibes ViBeS vIbEs

Quote:
Originally posted by kd7srj
It seems we are plagued with vibes from t-cases drivelines centered rear toy diffs off center sammi rear diffs double cv drivelines etc etc....it seems to be a neverending battle....my question is....hasnt anybody tried using a cv joint like a front wheel drive style ??? a front wheel drive cv setup operates smoothly through so many more angles than our fixed up-down style but we get the vibes...

I am thinking about an olds toronado style cv shaft setup

get a long slip yoke assembly attach a cv at each end. cut the splined shafts off of each end. center up a flange at each end and...Blam no vibes....! or is there something i am missing????
If you look hard enough you'll see that someone already was doing that for the constant velosity joint. it would most likely work great in front under low speed during 4x4 operation.. But they are not ment to have the rotational rpm put to them That is they wouldnt take the normal RPM say in 2wd they spin to fast from the t-case vs. where they would normally be at ie after the gearing in the 3rd
Rockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11105
I am running poly tcase mounts, centered Toy axle, front Toy driveshaft on the rear of my Zuk and it is smooth as silk at 80.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2752
Quote:
Originally posted by weedwacker
I use a toy cv rear. My junk ran very smooth untill I installed a poly t-case mount kit. The sammy ran like it had square tires on it. Put the stock rubber back on and now it feels like a caddy.
....... then you still have vibration, its just the rubber mounts mask it better than the poly.

One other possible cause of vibration is bent t-case mounts, especially the short side (drivers) mount. That happened to me. If they are bent enough, it doesn't matter what drive shaft you put on, it'll still shake your teeth out.
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20238
that's what made me go with the waggoneer axles, bites that problem in the ass real quick, also gets rid of the birffs in the front. The downside????? WIDTH
Old 06-07-2003, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9123
I think you guys might have missed exactly what kd7srj was talkin about. He's talking about the constant velocity joints you find in a front wheel drive car.

This should work, the only thing you would have to be careful of is making sure they were SEALED from water and dirt. In their original use they have rubber boots to stop the junk getting in, CVs die quickly otherwise. I think if you did any decent sort of wheeling you would be constantly tearing up the boots.

On a side note, the guy over here in Oz that won last years Tuff Truck built his shafts using 100 series land cruiser birfs.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 16401
i see what rockrat is saying the fact that the drive line spins sooo much faster than the actual wheel on a front wheel drive car especially since i have 5.12's it would probably disnegrate pretty fast UNLESS! i am limited to a top speed due to t case reduction....hmmm
Old 06-07-2003, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Send a message via MSN to Bill4rest
Quote:
Originally posted by kd7srj
i see what rockrat is saying the fact that the drive line spins sooo much faster than the actual wheel on a front wheel drive car especially since i have 5.12's it would probably disnegrate pretty fast UNLESS! i am limited to a top speed due to t case reduction....hmmm
Yip a couple people make them. Tim Hardy is one, A freind of mine had a Hardy shafts. One day while driving to work he herd and felt the rubber boot explode
Bill4rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 16401
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill4rest

Yip a couple people make them. Tim Hardy is one, A freind of mine had a Hardy shafts. One day while driving to work he herd and felt the rubber boot explode
kinda like the water broke..he he

what a dirt magnet of a mess
Old 06-08-2003, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 19411
i found these guys when doing my toy CV shaft (adapters from rockrat) conversion.
Check this
billyjoebob is offline   Reply With Quote