what years and what to look for - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2001, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2319
Cool what years and what to look for

I have learned from reading the posts that 88 1/2 is the most desirable. what other years before this are acceptable? Are they still good after 88 1/2. Also how rare are the hardtops? I see alot with the bikini on 'em but I need a hardtop.
Do they all come with a rear seat?
Also whats the price to pay for one thats in good shape but not built? I'm figuring on about a grand.
Thx

I used to have it........where'd it go?

Last edited by cruizerlover; 11-26-2001 at 09:24 PM.
cruizerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 883
A sami is a sami other than moter and brakes as far as i know
if you can find one for a grand I want one to. Most I see run 2g's and up theres a lifted hard top(non convertable) in the orogen auto trader I can look it up for ya . chuck
Old 11-26-2001, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2319
Cool i got one here for $995.00

I can pick up an 87 tomorrow for $995.00 and would you believe its a car dealer!! Its an 87 bone stock but good condition. No hard top though, Are they hard to pick up? So should i snap it up?
Once again though what about the IFS and EFI? does it matter? And what about the engines and brakes? Whats the Down Low on those?
What is the best and what is good enuf? Are you speaking from just gutting it and building it up or leaving it stock?
This'll kill ya but I want it for my paper route and gas mileage is important. By the way before you give me the I make $1300 net on the route a month and its 2 hours a day. My fun $$$$$.

Thx

I used to have it........where'd it go?
cruizerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5702
Re: i got one here for $995.00

Quote:
Originally posted by cruizerlover
Once again though what about the IFS and EFI? does it matter?
IFS means Independent Front Suspension. Last time I looked under my Sammy it appeared to have a solid axle, but I could be wrong.
As for the fuel injection, that only came in the 90-up models. Pre-90 models all had a carb.
And yes, all models come with a backseat. ~Steve
Old 11-26-2001, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4862
I think EFI is a must, can't imagine how mine could run at some the angles it gets into. How does carb work for some of ya?
Old 11-27-2001, 03:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7897
Send a message via Yahoo to moto261
carbs suck bought a 1986 its a canidan model and dident have a good carb and i put a gm 2 jet on it and it sucked,lots of power though but any how going with the 1.6 efi cant wait to roll over and see if it will still run god a cant wait going to the snow this weekend and hope to do it then any how havent used it yet but i think its the ticket when you go efi i think its the only way
moto261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 977
They are all good enough, and they get better until the end in 94. EFI stockers are sweet but rare, but MOST are 86-88, sales plummeted after 88 due to the rollover hype. IFS never happened.

If the carb is in good shape they work great, even leaned way over, I dont think I've ever seen one flood out from slosh. They are, however, complex computer controled units and can be tough to fix if your not an expert.
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5829
Be aware that many fuel-injected models were Two Wheel Drive, and many of the later models came without a back seat. I have seen ONE factory F.I. hardtop Samurai - they are more rare than hen's teeth. It would be easier to try out a carb'd earlier hardtop & covert it to a 16-valve later

Several aftermarket manufacturers sell removeable hard tops which might be an option for you, also. Got a family to wheel with? It's a short trip to Canada from Utah - they got Long-Wheelbase Samurai's up there - very sought after here.

The signifigant differences in years is the brake systems # of rear soft lines (1 vs. 2), interior differences, and F.I. Other than that, they are pretty much all the same.
0ILBURNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5702
My carb seems to work just fine. I seem to be able to keep it running at some pretty decent angles. I definiately want EFI, though. I want to swap in a 1.6L, but that won't be happening for quite a while. Oh well, ain't got nothin' but time, anyway, right? ~Steve
Old 11-27-2001, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 5829
Quote:
Originally posted by squirrelman83
.....I want to swap in a 1.6L, but that won't be happening for quite a while. Oh well, ain't got nothin' but time, anyway, right? ~Steve
Yeah, but at least you get to spend your time in
COLORADO
0ILBURNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7272
My stock carb sucked when I bought it, but after I got it working correctly it is pretty damn good. I have never had it die on me up or down hill. Never tried it upside down and don't plan on it.
tZUKnami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 7936
Send a message via MSN to mud-magnet
carbs are fine, i never had a problem with eather of my two samis both 88s(one early and the other 88 1/2).......i think i'd preffe the early i have now, alot less polution crap under the hood, and it has two break lines in the rear(damn).........but i'll live with it.....if your looking for one avoid the 85 or earler ones cause the 86+ samurais are 3" wider and don't roll as easy, although i'v never seen eather one roll more than the other...... just a thought