ok all....What engines are you runnin? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2001, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6407
ok all....What engines are you runnin?

I am looking for a builder...it will need to be a worthy trail rig and a good (comparitively) daily driver....I am looking for at least 35 inch tires by the time I get done.

I was looking at a YJ frame because of teh ease of parts/workability but now am thinking about a sammi.

what is the biggest engine I can run in one of these things....22re? 4.3 vortec? chev 350? If I need to do a little hood mods that's alright.

also, what is the easiest axle swap that'll hold up to 38's without sticking out WAY too far and without shortening?

"Did you think this forum served a legitimate socially redeeming function other than mental masturbation?" posted by Bobzooki
MKBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4862
I'm sure you could fit 392cid if ya wanted too, but why? Are ya one of those mud guys?
Old 11-29-2001, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7090
Send a message via AIM to orangezuk
Re: ok all....What engines are you runnin?

Quote:
Originally posted by mkbruin
I am looking for a builder...it will need to be a worthy trail rig and a good (comparitively) daily driver....I am looking for at least 35 inch tires by the time I get done.

I was looking at a YJ frame because of teh ease of parts/workability but now am thinking about a sammi.

what is the biggest engine I can run in one of these things....22re? 4.3 vortec? chev 350? If I need to do a little hood mods that's alright.

also, what is the easiest axle swap that'll hold up to 38's without sticking out WAY too far and without shortening?
I run the 1.3L/stock 5speed/GRS2/Dana 44 combo. If you stick with either the 1.3 or swap to the 1.6L (highly recommnded), you shouldn't have a problem running 38s with either Dana 44s or Toyota axles. The more engine you go with, the stronger axle you will need. As for ease of swap, the Toy swap is prolly a little easier.

The big advantage of a Zuk is its miniscule weight as compared to other setups. Depending on your usage, you won't need the added power of the V6 or V8 swap. If you play in the mud, go for the big power, but gearing will get you by if you play in the rocks.

2001 Tundra - 2" Cam Tech lift, 265s on 16x8" Weld Outbacks
orangezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6055
Send a message via ICQ to zukiman Send a message via AIM to zukiman
I have a Swift GTi 1298 motor with a Samurai 8-valve head with 1600 exhaust valves, AAPA rockcrawler cam, and the head's taken down .020 and for now it has a single Weber carb. It revs like crazy and makes damn good power as long as the revs are up. With the stock tranny and a Sumo 6.1 t-case, I'm oftentimes afraid I'll grenade a U-joint or twist an axle when I romp on it and get all 4 tires boiling. I'll be going to Dana 44's soon with a better rear driveshaft and that should put my worries to rest.
zukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2346
1.6 16v is all you need
mas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 06:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8458
I'm not an expert, but here are some things to consider.

The larger engine you swap to (other than 4 cyl.'s), the more you have to "balance" drive train components to handle the big jump in power. If you are keeping to a budget, this is a prime consideration.

One zooker at the Melt had a 400 cu. in. Chevy in his. Depending on what your definition of daily driver is, going to a motor this large might not be a good choice.

I've heard great things about the 1.6 16v. swap. I have the 1.6 8v in mine and it suits me fine. The 16v is more costly and more work, but if you are looking for more power and reliability, the 16v would be a prime consideration. You'll get heaps of power and reliability, and your drive train should hold up quite nicely.

Mileage would be a factor in considering an engine swap for a daily driver. Again, the larger the motor, the more gas consumption.

Just some food for thought.......
Old 11-30-2001, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5829
I think that 1.6L 16valve setup would be pretty sweet, and once it was all said & done, I'd bet it wouldn't cost any more than a fuelie V-6 swap.

Weight-to-power, man
0ILBURNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6407
ok, I can get a sm465 and 203 t-case combo for $150 and am not looking to pay extra for adapters, plus up until a few days ago I was looking at Jeeps where a 350 is right at home.

I am on a tight budget overall and am going to refurb junkyard parts for most of my drivetrain(ie, axles, suspension, etc.) I can pick up a set of Jeep m-715 axles for $150 but am concerned with width and diff clearance a little bit. would I be better off going with a 22re (competition everything) and a set of 44's front and rear (assuming 35-38 inch tires)?

how does the 22re bolt up to the factory trans/t-case and are they stout enough?

"Did you think this forum served a legitimate socially redeeming function other than mental masturbation?" posted by Bobzooki
MKBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4862
If your thinking about a 22re than I would consider going with the Toy trans and the t-cases. I don't think you can beat the performance for the price. and while your at it why not use the Toy axles, you can complete Toys for around $500.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2346
I just put the 1.6 16v motor in my 87 Sami. It cost me $850 for everything, motor, wiring, and all. I had the 1.6 8v in and that is a good motor also.

Mike
mas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 05:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7418
Send a message via ICQ to Arizona Zuk
What engines are you runnin?

I am running a 100 + horse power built 1.3....soon to be adding another 40 to 50 hp to it....

I like it's light weight and durability.....with a Sumo 6.1 transfer case and 5.13's.....I should move up to 37's, but have my doubts about the stock axles......so it's time to build the Zuk around the drivetrain.....

to each his own.....most of the fun is in building a rig that works.

My first Zuk that I bought used, it was 2 years old.....my intention was to use a Buick 231 V=6......but once I took the little Zuk for an off-road trip.....I figured why swap.....and never looked back.

[url=www.asianautopartsofaz.com]Sumo Products....ROCK![/url]
Arizona Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2143
I'm running a turbocharged Toyota 1L diesel........ mated to a Sm420 , Toyota low range, and Dana 300..... 9 psi of boost and I see approx, 100 hp...... at 192:1 low range..........
AIRZUKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 07:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4137
Re: What engines are you runnin?

Quote:
Originally posted by Arizona Zuk
I am running a 100 + horse power built 1.3....soon to be adding another 40 to 50 hp to it....

I like it's light weight and durability.....with a Sumo 6.1 transfer case and 5.13's.....I should move up to 37's, but have my doubts about the stock axles......so it's time to build the Zuk around the drivetrain.....

to each his own.....most of the fun is in building a rig that works.

My first Zuk that I bought used, it was 2 years old.....my intention was to use a Buick 231 V=6......but once I took the little Zuk for an off-road trip.....I figured why swap.....and never looked back.
Just wondering how you are going to get 150 hp out of a 1.3?
mudlite is offline   Reply With Quote