Pirate 4x4 banner

SJ410 1L idling issue

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NOODLES 
#1 ·
I just installed a 1.0l in my 1984 SJ410. I've managed to stay away from carbs all this time and now that I have installed one in the SJ, I have problems.... I can't seem to get it to idle properly, seems when I adjust the idle about right it keep stalling on me.. when I adjust it to idle higher it runs weird and rich (duh!) any tips or things to look for would be apreciated, I'm completly lost HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

#2 ·
with;
-engine warmed up
-choke full open
-all accessories off
-timing correct
-air cleaner and hoses installed properly

1. Adjust idle speed to 880rpm with the idle SPEED adjusting screw (its the slot head one, with a spring on the shaft).
2. turn the idle MIXTURE screw right or left and set it where the HIGHEST idle speed is obtained (its the funny looking screw thing)
3. repeat step 1 and 2 ! Then once again, adjust to 880rpm using the idle SPEED screw.
4. Now adjust the speed by turning the idle MIXTURE screw slowly to the right (close) to 840-850 rpm. ...you're done :)

If it still has issues, you have a carb or timing prob. Dont be afraid of carbs, they arent that complicated, just start unscrewing stuff, and make sure all the passages are unclogged and clean. The sidedraft 410 carb is a great carb, and it is worth the effort to get it working properly. I have found they work alot better off-road than the 413 ones, especially on climbs. They are a bit subceptable on REALLY bumpy terrain....they sometimes flood. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.