96 kick 16valve swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2003, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23494
Send a message via AIM to Turbocharged
96 kick 16valve swap

I have been doing some reasearch in past posts here and I see that the 96' 1.6 16valve is Obd2.

My buddy is selling one very cheap. Has anyone done this swap into a samurai that I can get advise from? Is it going to be alot harder than a regular 16v swap? I couldn't get much info from search on the obd2 engines
Old 10-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17151
The OBD2 engine is essentially the same engine. The only major differences is the MAF sensor on the back (OBD1 has a wire OBD2 doesn't) and the OBD2 disty has an internal coil wheras OBD1 is external. If you're doing the wiring just get a complete OBD1 harness and ECM from a junker at a salvage yard. You'll also need to grab the OBD1 MAF sensor. If you send the harness off to be converted send the plug and wires for the OBD2 disty and they can convert them over for you. This makes a cleaner install in the end. You'll also need to put the OBD1 fuel rail harness on the OBD2 engine. It's a direct plug in so no problems there. The MAF sensor is run off the fuel rail harness so you'll need to swap that over then... I hope that makes sense. It's an easy install. Contact Whazoo over on the ORC BBS. He does these wiring harness conversions all the time and his price is good too!
Capn_Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2003, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 23494
Yea that makes sense. Thanks for your help and I will contact whazoo to see what he would charge
Old 10-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12480
You guys just answered a bunch of questions for me too you guys are wicked sharp,...thanks!
Old 10-13-2003, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 23494
whazoo was also very helpful. here is an excerpt from the email he sent me

WHAZOO

For OBD2 engines there are a few options depending on what you are looking for. A full OBD2 conversion is quite an undertaking, but not impossible. It requires swapping in all the fuel , emissions, fuel injection and ignition systems from the donor vehicle. EVERYTHING! There are three sensors in the fuel tank alone!
A 94-95 OBD1 16v wiring harness can be adapted to work on a 96-98 OBDII 16v engine. This is the easiest way to set-up an OBD2 16v as it only requires the normal 1.6L motor adapter kit, electric fuel pump and the harness. This harness gives you full engine functions (including diagnostics) as well as emission compliance (for OBDI).
I have made a few OBD2 16v harnesses for trail rigs only. These use the OBD2 harnesses and run great but because of the nature of the swap (excludes some of the extra sensors) this harness will never pass emission testing.

Features on my harnesses include:
-Fast turn around time (2-3 days after receiving your harness).
-All wire splices are soldered and shrink tubed.
-Harnesses are wrapped in 3M Super 88 Weatherproof tape.
-All wires and plugs are clearly labled.
-Easy Installation, only a few wires to attach.
-Intergrated inline main fuse.
-Retains diagnostic functions. Chech engine light operates normaly.
-Each harness is thoroughly inspected.
-Affordable
I have two 16v test vehicles (a 94 and a 96). When a harness is completed, I plug it into one of these test zukes and drive around with it. All 16v harnesses are tested before shipping.

I would recommend going with the OBD1 harness conversion. Its not as hard as it sounds. Your OBD2 engine compartment harness can easily be converted to an OBD1. Then you'll need to find the underdash wiring from an OBD1 donor. Again that's not too hard. Most of the salvage yards I have gone too cut the engine harness when removing the engine. As a result most of the OBD1 donors still have the underdash wiring. Most people looking for a harness leave it alone as well because its not "complete" (minus the engine harness). The tough part can be finding an OBD1 ECM. I have seen several of these ECMs pass through ebay this summer for $99 without a bid! You could get lucky.
You'll also need to find an OBD1 EGR valve. The engine will actually run fine with the OBD2 EGR you'll just get an EGR error code from the OBD1 ECM. You can always add the EGR later as one becomes available.
You can still use the OBD2 distributor (I think its a cleaner install).

The complete conversion of your wiring harnesses would cost $250. The VSS conversion is included for free with any harness conversion.
A complete harness ready to use is $399 w/ no exchange.
I'm running long here so I'll stop for now.
Feel free to shoot me any questions.
Thanks for your interest.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17151
Whazoo rocks. And yes, his turn around time is FAST FAST FAST!
Capn_Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote