celica box removal - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2004, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23837
celica box removal

what is the easiest way to remove a celica box, from the top or from the botom of the car. I looked under the hood and you can't even see it. I know that it is under the back of the motor somewhere . just thought you guys that have removed them had an easy way.

thanx
bruce--
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21175
Try a Plasma cutter. Works from both the top and bottom.
Non Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2004, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5832
Re: celica box removal

Quote:
Originally posted by zook
what is the easiest way to remove a celica box, from the top or from the botom of the car. I looked under the hood and you can't even see it. I know that it is under the back of the motor somewhere . just thought you guys that have removed them had an easy way.

thanx
bruce--

You're talking about the version that's located right in front of the firewall?

I got my steering u-joint from one like that- crap, it was a bitch to get at!

I had to get at it from the top, because the car was wheel-less and on it's belly in muddy water :blech:

hint-take a mini hacksaw and spare blades

also- I don't know for sure, but doesn't that box turn the wrong way? (for the "usual" Celica/Sammy transplant application)
UZI 9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20208
Location: Pollock Pines, but dont worry, I decided to keep my full set of teeth, unlike most everyone else up here...
You should probably just buy mine for $185+ shipping. Rebuilt with new seals and hydraulic assist drilled tapped already. Also has a fat gusseted pitman arm drilled out for heim.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15771
Send a message via ICQ to tanzuki Send a message via AIM to tanzuki Send a message via Yahoo to tanzuki
Re: Re: celica box removal

Quote:
Originally posted by UZI 9mm

also- I don't know for sure, but doesn't that box turn the wrong way? (for the "usual" Celica/Sammy transplant application)
The reason why you might think that is because on the celica the pitman points toward the front of the car but the steering linkage is all behind the axle. So a celica box will work a samurai.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5832
Re: Re: Re: celica box removal

Quote:
Originally posted by tanzuki

The reason why you might think that is because on the celica the pitman points toward the front of the car but the steering linkage is all behind the axle. So a celica box will work a samurai.

er..... that's why I phrased my wording the way I did:

"...doesn't that box turn the wrong way for the "usual" Celica/Sammy transplant"

I've got a 1981 Supra box on my Sammy

the sector shaft u-joint I'm using came from a really wierd rack and pinion linkage set up that wasn't at all like the one I used. The pitman arm on that box rotated the other way than the '81 box I used.... (prior to taking the arm off and facing it rearwards, of course)

maybe i was upside down when i looked at it

edit: the pump I'm using came from a '78 Celica, and the u-joint was from a '79-ish Corona now that I think of it.

Last edited by UZI 9mm; 02-16-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 23837
i guess no one has ever taken one out of a car before.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25724
pull

I have pulled 4 celica boxes off. They can be a pain the first one i did with hand tools it took about 1hr to get all bolts broke free and tie rod seperated, What a pain, most of the work is done from the top but if the bolts are being a pain like the first one i did your going under the car, as to fit longer bar on it and while you are there pull the tierod off, save the one tie rod for you will need this to make new tie rod for your sami. The other 3 boxes went way easier because i took a cutting torch with me and cutt the crap outa my way and cut the tie rod off and any bolts that didnt come easy. Good luck i have done 3 P/S swaps with this box and everyone that has one loves it. But we all noticed a little hp loss.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8687
I took a box off and I think I hit it from every angle before I got it off.
The word "jones" is a slang term meaning to crave, want, or desire; or, to feel withdrawal from an activity of passion. The general slang meaning is often associated with addictive substance habits but can be applied on a more universal scale.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 23837
thanx for the guys that responded to the question, at least the ones that have done it. i guess i'll give it a try. also to mypayperview what size tires are ya running on your zook.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 25724
tire size

I am running 33x12.50.15 swamper classics it run them great with a spool in the front, But i had to add a small p/s cooler to the system for i used the pump/resevoir from the toyota, and tryed it without cooler by the end of the day i had no power steering it was kinda scary, I had to stop and let it cool down. But on the last couple that i did was on guys with v6 buicks and we used the stock buick/chevy p/s pump and no cooler, one guy is running 33x14.5x15 boggers and no problems if you need any info on this i can help just ask.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 5832
Re: celica box removal

Quote:
Originally posted by zook

thanx
bruce--

might've helped if you said if you were taking it off a junk yard car or not?

(this is why I said take a mini hack saw by the way)

I was unable to seperate the rusted tre's on the old linkage from pitman arm to draglink, so I just hack sawed through the threaded sections of two tre's. with fresh blade it took about 3-4 minutes. Then was *alot* easier to get at the bolts holding box to frame.

If not a junker car, someone may object to this method
Old 02-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 25724
Wink junk car

The wrecking yards around here dont keep these cars to rebuild them, They are real easy when it comes to letting me torch them off, Then they feed the rest of the car to the crusher and pile in back corner of yard and sell as scrap. Not many people wanting to build classic celicas here.