basic Suzuki help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2002, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
basic Suzuki help

Hey guys, a quick and easy question. Have gotten a lead on a cheap Sami. Supposedly thing was running fine and then just quit, turns over and sounds fine..just won't run. Owner is thinking possibly broken timing belt...sounds plausible. Anyway is willing to sell for $500, body in decent shape, bikini top, stock as far as I know.

Is there a relatively easy way to check the timing belt to see if it's broke? Just would like an idea if thats what needs to be done to it or if it's something more mysterious when I look at it. Also I guess these are interference engines so posibly some bent valves when it broke eh?

Thanks!! Possibly joining your ranks shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7936
Send a message via MSN to mud-magnet
probility just jumped its timing, take the first plug out put a screwdriver in the hole to see if the piston is up if not put it up.... then take the distrubitor cap off and you will see a mark on the rotery button and on the bottom part of the distrubtor they should be lined up it the timing is on if there not lined up the timing is off, easy as that......
Old 01-15-2002, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9193
Yea, take the dist cap off and turn it over. If it rotates the timing belt is still on there (see mud-magnet for checking if slipped).

They are NOT interference motors. There is lots of room for the valves over the pistons, so no valve train damage should occur.

What year? The later models are known for a dying ignition driver.
okcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5829
Pop the cap off of the distributor - if the camshaft is turning, the rotor will. (This does not mean that it could not have jumped timing, tho)

If it is a fuel injected model, could be a bad igniter.

It had better be a NICE truck for $500 when they got no idea what's wrong with it - you must assume it will need a whole engine to make a prudent decision.
0ILBURNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally posted by okcrawler
Yea, take the dist cap off and turn it over. If it rotates the timing belt is still on there (see mud-magnet for checking if slipped).

They are NOT interference motors. There is lots of room for the valves over the pistons, so no valve train damage should occur.

What year? The later models are known for a dying ignition driver.
I believe it is an '86. Good news on both the easy way to check the belt as well as the clearence issue.

I'm thinking that a $500 truck is a pretty good deal, they few available around here are fetching (at least asking price) a good amount of money.

Thanks guys!! Hopefully you won't getsick of a torrent of questions if I do get it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote