New To Sammi's, need help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2002, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8843
Send a message via AIM to offroadr35
New To Sammi's, need help

I'm a land rover guy but i'm now looking into getting something just for wheeling purposes. It seems like a Sammi would be a good way to go. The only one i've seen for sale that interests me is a fellow forum member. It is an 86, SOA, 33s, winch, welder, cage, etc. I've been looking for answers to a few questions. First of all, what is the difference between model years...is an 86 ok? What should I expect to pay for a decently built one? I can't afford to do an entire build up myself again, so i'm trying to find one with a decent amount of mods that I can just add onto. Also, what, in general, can i expect from a Sammi? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
offroadr35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2002, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8690
Send a message via AIM to jp008 Send a message via MSN to jp008
Where do I start?
It really depends on what you are willing to spend. For example I don't think squirrel83 wouls sell his for less than $6000 (my opinion). I have a little over $3000 into mine and I'm not even close to being finished with it. You can pick up a Sami from $100 to $3000 and build it yourself or you can spend $2000 to $6000 for one that's has some mods already done to it. It's like anything else. See what they are selling it for and barter from there.

oops almost for got--Welcome fellow newbie
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2002, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7936
Send a message via MSN to mud-magnet
to start with.........welcome newbie
now, for zuki, because the engines arn't all that powerful you have to gear them pretty low, most people say that a 4.16:1 t-case is good for 31"s some like it even lower, some will do fine with 4.16 case and 33"s which i'll be doing, right now i have stock gears with 31"s and i could see driving it like that but you'll loose 5th........ it all depends on what you like, you like rocks, you want gears, you like mud, you still need gears but not as low, if your a hill guy you need fairly low gears........ you like rocks and have 33"s and lockers, you realy need stronger axles.....
i prrsonally bought mine for 300$ stock, and building it myself, i have less than 500$ into it as of now, but i'll begetting a 4.16 case soon, 33"s, maybe a 1.6, and maybe toy axles...... the way you should do it is get a stocker, drive it the way you want, if you think you nee more flex go SPOA with missing links, if you think you need more traction get a locker or weld your rear, if you think you need better tires for mud get some mud terraines around 31"s and go a simple spoa, if you think you need gears cause it bogs out get a t-case out of a 84 suzuki which has a 4.16:1 low....... everyone will tell you something different......
this is just the way i did mine.....
-Mike
Old 01-20-2002, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8690
I agree 100% Mud.
I run 33's and will have 4.16 t-case in a month. I will also be installing a AAPA Sumo head w/lowend cam and a centerforce dual-friction. I can still do 55-65 on the interstate with my stock gears, but I'm always shifting from 3rd to 4th constantly............unless I'm drafting.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8690
When I wrote this I had 99. still a newbie. When it is posted I will no longer be a newbie . I am now a wheeler.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6055
Send a message via ICQ to zukiman Send a message via AIM to zukiman
The 84 and earlier SJ410's do not have a 4.16 t-case. They have the same 1.58 high range ratio as the 4.16 t-cases, but their low range is 2.51.

A 4.16 t-case is generally great up to 31-32 inch tires. A 4.89 t-case is great with 31-33 inch tires. If you plan to use 33's or larger, it'll save you money to get one of the Sumo 6.1 t-cases (with its 1.75 high range) versus getting a 4.16 and some ring and pinion gears.
zukiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2002, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Send a message via MSN to Bill4rest
Re: New To Sammi's, need help

Quote:
Originally posted by offroadr35
I'm a land rover guy but i'm now looking into getting something just for wheeling purposes. It seems like a Sammi would be a good way to go. The only one i've seen for sale that interests me is a fellow forum member. It is an 86, SOA, 33s, winch, welder, cage, etc. I've been looking for answers to a few questions. First of all, what is the difference between model years...is an 86 ok? What should I expect to pay for a decently built one? I can't afford to do an entire build up myself again, so i'm trying to find one with a decent amount of mods that I can just add onto. Also, what, in general, can i expect from a Sammi? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

any year is a good year IMOP. set out your priorities and go from there, the kind of wheeling do you will tell you how to set up your Samy. for Mud and a little rocks here and there, I have seen guy's run well with just a 4.16 case and 33's.

What would I do with limited funds?

stock Samy..........$1500 to $2500
SPOA ...................$500
31 or 32" tires........$ whatever kind you want
Lockright's F&R........$350----or just one for the rear $175
Sumo T-case (6.1) $1200
Full cage for safty!!! Davesport or Xtream (I endorse these cuz I know they work)
new front bumper............just cuz you will look silly with the stocker
Bill4rest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2002, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3945
Re: Re: New To Sammi's, need help

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill4rest
Full cage for safty!!! Davesport or Xtream (I endorse these cuz I know they work)
Oh come on. The stock front bumper is cool. We all know that the front bumper has about as much metal as a tin can. The front bumper is a must since almost any larger tire will rub on the bumper or the bumper mount tube.

I second the endorsement for a Davesport cage. I have one and am quite happy with it. I just want to add some more cross-bracing in there (main hoop to front hoop side bars, bar behind the front seats for harness mounts, etc). So far I haven't had to test it out yet, but give me time, I'm sure it will happen.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8690
Re: Re: New To Sammi's, need help

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill4rest

hey I resemble that remark.......
Old 01-20-2002, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Send a message via MSN to Bill4rest
Re: Re: Re: New To Sammi's, need help

Quote:
Originally posted by jp008

hey I resemble that remark.......

Dam! I thought I was going to get in trouble with that
Bill4rest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.