Tracker -> Sammi parts swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29991
Tracker -> Sammi parts swap

I have been searching till I'm going blind, so don't go there. But I expect this has been covered a zillion times.

- Will the '91 1600 8v tracker alternator bolt right up and go on an '88 1300? I unnerstan it has an extra terminal on the back?

- will the power steering offa the same tracker require a kit to install onna sami? I have a double crank pulley. I know the power steering pulley needs changed. I have heard that I need a u-joint or sumthin to replace the existing rag joint. Anything else? Bolt pattern is a lil different too? Pitman work? I'll be running RRO OTT steering.

TIA!
GeoB
GeoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8687
For starters they use different belts. You don't have to search to see that.
The word "jones" is a slang term meaning to crave, want, or desire; or, to feel withdrawal from an activity of passion. The general slang meaning is often associated with addictive substance habits but can be applied on a more universal scale.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2004, 04:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25568
TT or Calmini both have what ya need for P/S.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones
For starters they use different belts. You don't have to search to see that.
Duuh! I may not be the sharpest tool inna shed, but I *know* starters don't have no belts! And anyway I wuz talkin' 'bout alternators!

Yeah, I know, I asked the question wrong. I wuz thinking of terminals, mounts, indexing, alignment, etc. I have been too busy to go out and measure stuff and since the last sand trip my 1300 alternator has been howling. I just wanted food for thought.

Thanks guys!
GeoB
Old 11-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 17442
Are you on drugs?
Old 11-26-2004, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 28879
What is your time worth?
Just buy the PS installation kit from TT and be done with it. You can make anything work with time and knowledge... But like I said just buy the kit and turn a 4 hour DIY job into a 1 hour kit install.

Just my 2cents.

Alt: I believe you can get the Alt out of the kick to work. The color coding is the same between the sami and kick, so you should be able to figure it out. If your looking for more Alt output why don't you just go with a chev alt?
MaddHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 12376
I run a kick alt in mine but also the kick engine too! the kick alt measures about 69 amps under full load with the belt just starting to squeal.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
Are you on drugs?
That's kinda a personal question. Have we been introduced?
Old 11-26-2004, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 29991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRfuelish
the kick alt measures about 69 amps under full load with the belt just starting to squeal.
Thanks! This is all good info.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17442
Were you kidding about the 'jones' response to your alternator question? If you were, then I was kidding because I was confused to your reply to that (maybe you and jones have some inside joke going about starters and alternators) ...if you were not kidding then you need to make sure that you read the responses more carefully and watch out for words that have two meanings.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 29991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
Were you kidding about the 'jones' response to your alternator question? If you were, then I was kidding because I was confused to your reply to that (maybe you and jones have some inside joke going about starters and alternators) ...if you were not kidding then you need to make sure that you read the responses more carefully and watch out for words that have two meanings.
Yes, I was kidding about the starter/alternator statement. I don't know what double meaning I must have missed. But don't worry 'bout it, it was all in fun. I thought you might be a smart-ass trouble maker (there are some on here) trying to keep me from being silly if I wanna. I looked up other posts of yours to see what yer pattern is, and you don't seem to be a trouble maker. I don't think I am either... Lets be friends! :-)
Old 11-29-2004, 05:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoB
Yes, I was kidding about the starter/alternator statement. I don't know what double meaning I must have missed. But don't worry 'bout it, it was all in fun. I thought you might be a smart-ass trouble maker (there are some on here) REALLY?? trying to keep me from being silly if I wanna. I looked up other posts of yours to see what yer pattern is, and you don't seem to be a trouble maker. I don't think I am either... Lets be friends! :-)
that last part just don'r sound right!!
this is starting to sound really

Use the altenator, if you have the right pully's already, if not, upgrade it with the single wire GM unit.

Get the kit for the power steering unless you have the time and tools (and skilz) to build your own. Not hard to do, but alighnment is critticle.

good luck

Last edited by Orionn; 11-29-2004 at 05:28 AM.
Orionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 29991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionn
that last part just don'r sound right!!
this is starting to sound really
Some really long-term relationships are based on less than this! :-)

> Use the altenator, if you have the right pully's already,

I'll prolly do that.

> Get the kit for the power steering unless you have the
> time and tools (and skilz) to build your own. Not hard
> to do, but alighnment is critticle.

I read the RRO ad on their toyota-to-sammi kit.. Glenn makes a good point. He says the toy stuff is easier to find and stronger. If everything was equal, that I hadda buy a kit, and had both types of ps on hand, I'd prolly go with the toy. I'm told I can sell the Tracker ps for more than it is worth. Maybe I could do that and then buy toy stuff. I'll watch see what prices Tracker ps gets. You all have any idea?

I know folks have used the Tracker equipment for years, I'm sure it would work fine. But if it breaks (this has 109,000 miles on it) then I don't wanna compete too hard for Suzuki replacement parts.