airing up tires - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 43278
airing up tires

ok guys, what are you running to air up your tires? how long does it take? what size tires? any problems with the choice you made? and how much did it cost?

I am looking into some sort of way to air up my tires, 33x12.5 and am curious what people have. I am well aware of converting a york pump due to building one, problem is there aint enuf room under my hood thx to my power steering upgrade. I have heard of viair and companies that closely compare, my question is how is this any better than say a parts store pump ( i know cfm's and pressure, but if they are the same yet have a $100+ price difference, theres gotta be some secret right??)

and yes I have tried the walmart $10 special---it did the job--not well, but when creative in the woods, I was able to even set a bead with it--i just want faster air up at the end of the day.
budgetsami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 42415
I had an old York 210 in my YJ and it would air up all 4 33's from ~8 psi to ~25 in about 10 minutes and that included walking around the Jeep!

I had friends that converted the rotary style A/C comp like the Zook has and worked just as well. About the same performance airing tires, but not enough CFM to run air tools like the York.

If you can find a stock Zook A/C comp, the conversion should be less than about $100 with air hose and all ...
Old 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15343
powertank
Old 05-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 16289
Only for airing back up, but I do the trick found on Chris' site under "Tech" "Cheap Tire inflator". It's kind of slow and certainly wouldn't seat a bead but it was cheap and convenient.

http://www.azrockcrawler.com
terrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 18573
Send a message via AIM to shmoesmith
I own this....it is really a pretty nice compressor. The only downside is that it has a 40min max runtime. If you do the conversion of the flowrate from liters per minute to cubic feet per minute if I remeber correctly it comes out to about 2.6cfm. Lots of good info on the site below about it and how it compares to the 'big boys'. I would HIGHLY recommend it if you arent going to go with a belt driven system or powertank

http://www.moabjeeper.com/superflow.htm
Old 05-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18573
Send a message via AIM to shmoesmith
Did I mention its only $50? it rocks.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 26553
I used 2 compressors from the air ride systems from Caddys. I picked them up at the local u-pull it for $15.00 each. 2 of them ran together was about as fast as a quick air 1 is at a fraciton of the price.
mudmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29534
I run a viair 350c with a 5 gal tank in my zook...but I use it occasionally for air tools too. The upside of the reservoir is that I can air up all 4 tires very quickly. The downside is that it takes up space.
Before I had the viair I was using the Wagan heavy duty compressor that Harbor Freight sells; cheap but I went through 3 of them in a year. They do honor the warranty though, and it's speed is decent for the price.
I know a couple of people with power tanks and they seem to work great; you can save a few $$ buy getting the tank from your local welding shop, and buing the powertank regulator separately. Won't look as nice, but cheaper and works just as well.
Hope my .02 helps...
Old 05-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2752
Powertank for me too. Great for air tools on the trail too
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17632
I have a 4 cfm jobber from Foothill Offroad. It works good, I have a small 3ish gallon tank with it. If you look in the low-rider truck mags, you can find the same compressor in chrome even for $160. I think foothill gets like $260? I also have a 4 cfm unit from Extreme Outback. It looks identical, but it's on my shelf so I haven't compared the two.
Travis..
Old 05-04-2005, 10:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 43278
check this out

ok after some research and some ebay shopping--lookie what i found--whatcha all think and even more important anybody have one? is it reliable? anybody have anything close for the $$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

It's a PUMA 12 air compressor w/1.5 gallon tank
he claims the specs are
125psi, 3.4cft @40lbs, 3cfm@90lbs--has all the pressure switches and such except its 12v with a 100% duty cycle. My idea is take the pump off the tank and remote mount the tank. heck I may be out of my mind--but maybe not

so whatcha all think--any comparable products out there?? anybody own a PUMA product--what quality is it??
Old 05-05-2005, 12:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 14922
That looks like much better than a couple hundred dollar Quick Air - or for that matter, 3 or 4 of the $50 compressors should move some air too. I have a Quik Air II but will be going CO2.
deepmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 15422
The only downside to the powertank is during the winter some of the guys running compressed CO2 would have stuff freeze up on them. Probably wouldn't be a big problem out west during normal temps.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 29534
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetsami
ok after some research and some ebay shopping--lookie what i found--whatcha all think and even more important anybody have one? is it reliable? anybody have anything close for the $$

he claims the specs are
125psi, 3.4cft @40lbs, 3cfm@90lbs--has all the pressure switches and such except its 12v with a 100% duty cycle. My idea is take the pump off the tank and remote mount the tank. heck I may be out of my mind--but maybe not

so whatcha all think--any comparable products out there?? anybody own a PUMA product--what quality is it??

Had I seen that a year ago, I would have bought it instead of the viair 350c. No complaints about the viair, I work it a LOT and it keeps on going, but that compressor you found is rated for about 3x the airflow. I'd try it if I needed to buy one...
Old 05-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 38619
Powertank for me too. Fills 33s fast. Runs the air ratchet. Costs 7 bucks to fill down at the Budweiser distributor.
RIVERZUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7742
Quote:

he claims the specs are

that is the SAME compressor as the Extream Air except the Extream Air cost $400 and does not come with the tank or regulator although it goes include a neat little filter. I thought I was slick when I found one like the Puma for $250 at a local tow truck supply store then a buddy picked up the Puma for like $125. They are identical except the decals. I had mine about 2 years and it works great and its faster than the Quickair
samiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 18085
Send a message via AIM to CTBrent
I "grabbed" a CO2 tank from my dad who works with soda/juice injection systems. I am going to build my own version Powertank (without a regulator) except it'll cost me $30-50. I like the versatility of the tank as well as the mobility.
CTBrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 15343
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Zuk
The only downside to the powertank is during the winter
whats "winter"
what if you used one of those bottle jackets like they use on NOS bottles maybe that might help.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 43278
my thoughts on homemade tank

ctbrent no offense to you or anybody who ownes a tank--but im not a person that likes 1000lbs+ of air in my vehicle waitin to pop the regulator off and make a rocket. How exactly you plannin on mounting the soda co2 tank safely meaning if you tip/roll/ or even hit a good bump---whats gunna keep that regulator safe.

I found that compressor which would well for me--especialy since I can fill the tanks when the vehicle is parked and air up safely--rather than having a possible projectile in the back (other than my normal crap bouncin around )

my $.02 on that
Old 05-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 18085
Send a message via AIM to CTBrent
Quote:
ctbrent no offense to you or anybody who ownes a tank--but im not a person that likes 1000lbs+ of air in my vehicle waitin to pop the regulator off and make a rocket. How exactly you plannin on mounting the soda co2 tank safely meaning if you tip/roll/ or even hit a good bump---whats gunna keep that regulator safe.

I found that compressor which would well for me--especialy since I can fill the tanks when the vehicle is parked and air up safely--rather than having a possible projectile in the back (other than my normal crap bouncin around )

my $.02 on that
I see what you are saying. I'm not nervous. A bump wouldn't harm anything especially if its mounted. I wouldn't leave a tank rolling around in back but the mounts designed, whether they be commercial mounts (like my dad's company uses) Nitrous system mounts, scuba mounts (tanks are the same size) or something from Summit. There are safe ways to carry them you just have to do some research.

I really feel that having crap bouncing around is a lot more dangerous than a well secured and neatly set-up rig. A good buddy of mine was almost decapitated by the items in his tool bag that weren't secured when he went over in Moab. His cab was torn apart from all the tools bouncing around. Now he keeps everything strapped down. Everything has it's place. It took a severe concussion for him to learn it.

I have seen what those bottles can do yet I am not worried. I believe if you take proper precautions it can be perfectly safe.
CTBrent is offline   Reply With Quote